Author Topic: Ewwwwwwwwwww!!! Dead things and Poo...  (Read 6401 times)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Ewwwwwwwwwww!!! Dead things and Poo...
« on: August 23, 2007, 03:08:48 pm »
Yuck!  :P
So I got home from work at 7 oclock this morning, and took Naja out for a short walk before I feed her and then go to bed myself.  It's a leisurely stroll so I think nothing of it when she lags behind to sniff at things as puppy tend to do.  I look back at her, and what do I see hanging from her mouth you ask?  No not her cute little puppy tounge, no not a stick.  I see part of a squirrel, or some other grey coloured furry thing that looked like it had been dead for about a week!  YUCK!  And the little bugger swallowed it before I could fish it out of her puppy mouth, not for lack of trying on my part.  As soon as she realized I was going to go for it she doubled her pace ofn chewing and as I'm reaching into her mouth she's swallowing her icky treat.   :P
We have alot of squirrels and cats and other fuzzy things in our area so avoiding seeing them dead is just about out of the question.  What I want to know is...Is there anything that I can do to discourage her from or train her to not want to eat them??   ???
It's not like I want to deprive her of something she loves.  I just don't want her to love eating poop or dead things.  We have a dairy farm so there's lot's of poop too.  lol
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Ewwwwwwwwwww!!! Dead things and Poo...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 03:52:27 pm »
I like using "Drop it" command. It is very easy to teach...When your pup has her toy in the mouth show her a nice treat and reach for the toy. As soon as she drops it give her bunch of treats. When she starts dropping it as soon as she sees a treat put a cue "drop it" on her reaction. Soon she will find out how cool it is to drop things. You can practice it outside with different objects as well  ;D
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 04:08:55 pm »
hee hee hee sorry i can't help but laugh, it sounds like it would have been a sight to see!  but anyways, yeah, we do the leave it command, too, and it works great.  axle gives this look and if i see it i say leave it before he even heads to it and it works that way too.  good luck!

p.s.-  i wonder if she could get worms or anything from eating that???
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline angel101798

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 08:04:48 pm »
Okay, that's gross!  I will never understand a dog's idea of "gourmet". :P  We have a similar problem, but our area is crowded with Canadian Geese.  For some reason dogs love the poop.  Besides being disgusting it also gives them Giradia (sp?).  I've taught Cheyenne the "Leave It" command but sometimes the temptation is too much.  We're working on a new command "Nose Up" because she's become quite the shoveler on the move.  In the meantime I keep her mouth in view at all times on walks in case I have to pull her away quickly, she's not allowed to walk behind me and if she stops I watch what she's doing to make sure I didn't miss something in the grass.  Hope that helps!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion" - Unknown

Cheyenne; Belgian Malinois 1/8/07
Calisto(aka Arch Nemisis); 7/4/03

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 08:10:35 pm »
we do a nose up too but i tell axle to get his "head up"
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 09:06:26 pm »
I'm laughing so hard my sides hurt!  And believe me I'm laughing with you, not at you.  Sierra is the same way.  if it's any kind of poop, she gobbles it up faster than you can blink.  We live on the side of a mountain, and one of her favorite things is taking walks in the woods.  It's not so fun for me because I constantly have my hand in her mouth fishing out something gross.  Last time I took her I pulled out turkey poop, deer poop and dog poop - all within a 10 minute period.  She fights to the end and I have to force open her mouth, which is getting harder and harder the stronger she gets.  Oh, and she truly believes the cats' litterbox is her personal buffet.  She thinks she gets away with it, but she always comes out with litter stuck to her face.

~ Stephanie
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 03:06:49 am »
AAHHH HAHAHAHA
he he he
Thanks for all the helpfull information.  We've been practicing "Leave It", but only with the one treat, I'll have to try the second treat one next time.

Newly Newfed, I completely feel your pain, it's an icky gross sometimes really smelly pain.   ;D

The problem I would have with having her keep her head up on walks, is that she's still only 4 months old, and everything is still so much fun to sniff and chase and look at.  But I guess there's no better time to teach her these things then when she's young.  ;)
We're going to start puppy classes soon, so I'll keep ya updated on how we do there as well.
Thanks again for the great advise.  You guys are the reason I love this site SOO much!   ;D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 04:30:43 am »
oh eeeeew, hopefully she can learn quick!
Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 07:29:51 pm »
Our dogs really can be so gross sometimes, can't they? Yuck! Tipper doesn't eat dead stuff so much as he LOVES to roll around in it--the smell is absolutely repulsive, I can't even begin to imagine what it must taste like!!

Good luck with the "leave it" command, it works for us!
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven