Author Topic: NutriCal  (Read 3625 times)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
NutriCal
« on: August 24, 2007, 04:21:25 am »
Has anyone ever used NutriCal?
I was thinking of getting some for my pup, Miles.
As some of you may know, he has hookworms and has become anemic because of them.

He will not eat no matter what I try.....except for yesterday, I tried some canned food mixed in with his dry...he liked it.but it made him get diarrhea.

He is very skinny and only gained 2 pounds in 2 weeks. He only weighs 11 pounds at 9 weeks!

Please let me know if this product works!!! It would be greatly appreciated. ;)
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

bigdogs@5501

Re: NutriCal
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 04:27:22 am »
I have used that in the past to put weight on emaciated dogs, but be careful about giving him too much. I cant remember what it was about the NurtiCal that the vet advised to only use it moderately. Have you tried cooking his meals until he gets his appetite back? When we have digestive issues or I take in an emaciated dog- I start cooking. Rice and boiled chicken or hamburger meat is the best. Lots of rice. Also add pumpkin to his diet, I have tried this and it also helps with the diarrhea.

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 05:50:56 am »
Is the pup's loss of appetite the result of the hookworms?  I quess what I'm asking is, when the hookworms are cleared up will he most likely get back to being a happy healthy pup?  And what is the duration of the treatment?  Is the pup in danger or is this something that Miles family can do the best they can during the treatment?

Well see, I got Miles when he was 7 weeks old. I took him to the vet the day after I got him. They gave him a shot for Parvo, and I brought in a stool sample. They checked for worms and found he had hookworms. The vet stated it would be no problem as hookworms are common in puppies and gave him an oral medication called Imathal to get rid of the worms.

After about a week and a half I noticed he was sleeping a bit more than usual, and not finishing all of his meals, but was still playful at times and having good stools and everything.

Then, the day I was scheduled to take him to the vet (wednesday) to get his 2nd shot, he seemed to be really lethargic, and only ate half of his first meal.

I informed the vet of what was going on and he prescribed a vitamin supplement to boost his iron level because he had become anemic due to the hookworms feasting off his blood. He also said he would worm him a again next month, if worms were still present.

The vet did not seem too concerned, but Mr. Miles here still will not eat, and that is a problem. He is a bony little boy, when he should not be.

The NutriCal would be a temporary fix until he is interested in his food again. He eats Canidae and loved it until just a few days ago. He is so lethargic and weak now, that all he wants to do is sleep. On the occasion he'll get a streak of playfulness in him for literally like 2 minutes, then he's pooped again.

I also think he may be becoming hypoglycemic because of this, which I believe the NutriCal would aid in this situation.

So, in the end, I would just be using this as a temporary fix to get him to gain some weight and feel like a puppy again until the worms are gone!

Thanks for all your responses everyone!
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 07:33:44 am »
How is Miles doing?  Better I hope?   :)   :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 03:47:39 am »
NutriCal is a fine product for boosting low blood sugar in little dogs.  There is a tube in my fridge, just in case.

Ditto the second opinion.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua