Author Topic: Why Do Pyrs Bark?  (Read 10642 times)

mama23+pyrs2

Why Do Pyrs Bark?
« on: August 25, 2007, 06:52:14 am »
Don't you love me for asking such a question but I just have to. Seriously, what is their deal? lol. And what is it about night barking? Is it all guarding behavior? Mine do NOTHING but bark CONSTANTLY when I let them outside at night to potty. One is out there now and he starts barking the minute he gets out until we let him back in. He even barks and pees at the same time lol. I know all about their background and have read a ton on them and know they are notorius barkers, but I really want to know what they are trying to accomplish.. unless it's guarding, then I understand. I can't imagine people that keep theirs outside, omg, our neighbors would either shoot them or us I am certain.

And yeah, my quiet non-barker Yiska is no longer. She now barks every bit as much as her brother. ;D I don't mind it since they aren't outside dogs and they don't bark in the house unless they hear something strange.. but I'm just really curious .. So all you Pyr experts, give me your wisdom. ;)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Why Do Pyrs Bark?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 07:27:55 am »
You got it, yep it's guarding behavior.  When are coyotes and other predators most likely to attack?  At night, so that's when Pyrs bark most.  They're telling everyone, "back off, there's a Pyr on duty here".  It's thousands of years of selective breeding by the shepherds that bred only the dogs that were the best LGD dogs.  They truly can't help it, so there's no point in grousing at them for barking, they just do it like breathing.  I do what you do, let mine out long enough to pee/poop and then back in they come to sleep, snore & guard from our sofas.   ;)  ;D   If you live in a really noisy area and they bark indoors at night, a fan or other white sound device can help.  Otherwise, it's just one of those things that we love about our Pyrs.  I don't think that someone could come within a country mile of our front door at night without being "greeted" by our pack (and yes, I love that).   ;D  Funny thing is that Daisy is a Golden/Lab mix but she was raised by a Pyr (Cara, our first) and has lived with all 3 of our Pyrs since, and she barks just like they do.  Ya know, a "when in Rome...do as the Roman's do" kinda thing.  BTW I'd say that Yiska is barking more now b/c she's coming into adolescence.  She's no longer a baby, so she's picking up the mantle of duty now, too.  Also, with Yukon semi-laid up, she is feeling the need to hold down the fort for him.  Good girl!  LOL   ;D

I have a super funny link for you, if I can find it.  I'm off to search for it now.   ;)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 11:59:07 am by GoldenPyrs »
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 07:44:20 am »
Ok, here's the link.

http://sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library/evrythng.htm

If you read down to "Why do Pyrs Bark" I think that you'll smile.  You may have read this before, but it is wonderful, as is Catherine de la Cruz, she is an amazing resource and one of the most Pyr knowledgable people around.  Enjoy!   ;D
Marie

And my pups:

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 03:34:33 pm »
Thanks for that link, yeah I have read it before..I sent it to hubby not long ago and he was having a good laugh too. :D That's what I thought the barking was about I just find it so odd, then again..so many things about them are 'odd', if you expect them to be like your average dog I mean. It's been a real joy owning them as long as we have, they always surprise me with how different they are from other dogs and always make us laugh because of it.

If they barked in the house (constant like outside), I think I'd die lol.. but alas..they do not. I love when they DO because- they should. It's not often I hear them bark at night in the house so if I hear it, I jump up to see what's going on. Once they don't sleep in their crates and can check out what they hear, I think they'd feel more satisifed doing their 'job' ya know. But we just sit inside and listen to them start when we let them out, around the house and to the other side and well you just always know where they are! hahahaha. It's funny cause it's like they can't possibly hear anything over themselves, it's not like they give it a chance to hear anything to bark at- but I guess that is the point of it all.

And yeah, that seems to be the case with Yiska like you say. She started this at about 7 mos..so about a month ago, so I'm sure it's age related. I'm glad cause I thought I would end up with a non-barker perhaps and a bad guard dog, not that Yukon wouldn't be enough, but I wanted to see her stand up for herself too. She sure does now. When there used to be a noise in the house, she'd ignore it- he never would. Now, she jumps up and barks just like him. :)

Thank you!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 03:36:40 pm by mama2many »

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 06:30:04 pm »
Mine bark at nite from the front window on a regular basis. Tug is the worst because he is the baby and he is still a big dog in training. I dont pay a lot of attention unless Zoey is barking. She is alpha and if she is barking then there is just cause.
I have learned mostly to sleep thru the barking, again though if it is Zoey, I will wake up.

I dont think that you can stop them it is so deeply breed into them for thousands of years. I am always comforted when they are barking because I know that they are on the job.

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 07:55:07 am »
Ha Ha!  We're on a dairy farm so there is ALWAYS something going on.  People walking around, cows being led out to pasture, trucks and cats, and all sorts of other stuff.  Needless to say when Naja is outside all she does is bark, it's kindof cute, cause she'll bark even while doing her "business".  hehe
But you're right it is mostly at night that she is the most vocal, and almost never when she's inside unless she wants something (outside, pets, treat, to hear her own beautifull voice!).  Okay maybe alittle more often then never.  lol
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 03:51:52 pm »
cause she'll bark even while doing her "business".  hehe

LOL, that's funny!
Well, I have to say that Lily took her barking to a new level...she even barks with bully stick in her month and doesn't drop it!!!  :o
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 04:49:02 pm »
My girls bark all the time. Annie will bark occasionally in the house but Merri has all of a sudden decided to bark all night indoors. Annie barks when she thinks something is not right and does stop. Merri on the other hand just continues even if it's a leaf in the yard moving. (they shouldn't be in her yard). I had a neighbor tell me there was something wrong with my dogs because they barked too mush. I asked if she knew anything of the breed and she relpied she knew about all breeds because she use to be a breeder. She wanted to put out a petition on my dogs. I almost printed it up the breed standard and stuck it in her mail box, but didn't because I didn't want to make her any madder and be petitioned to get rid of my dogs. Stupid lady, needless to say we are not good neighbors. LOL So ya barking is very normal.

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 04:58:05 pm »
I had a neighbor tell me there was something wrong with my dogs because they barked too mush. I asked if she knew anything of the breed and she relpied she knew about all breeds because she use to be a breeder. She wanted to put out a petition on my dogs. I almost printed it up the breed standard and stuck it in her mail box, but didn't because I didn't want to make her any madder and be petitioned to get rid of my dogs. Stupid lady, needless to say we are not good neighbors. LOL So ya barking is very normal.
Ohhhh.  >:(
My dad's got a neighbor like that, she complains about his Jack Russell PIMA, she just likes to bark at the squirrels, but the lady is so miserable and can't find anything else to do with her time then complain about poor little PIMA.  Same deal too, says that there is something wrong with her cause she barks, and has even gone so far as to call the police.  BTW, PIMA never barks at night, only during the day when she can see the squirrels.   :D
Kindof makes ya want to leave a smelly present on her front porch. But you don't, cause then she'd have grounds to get you in trouble.  ;) ;D

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 05:09:51 pm »
  and has even gone so far as to call the police.  BTW, PIMA never barks at night, only during the day when she can see the squirrels.   :D
Kindof makes ya want to leave a smelly present on her front porch. But you don't, cause then she'd have grounds to get you in trouble.  ;) ;D

She has called the police on me twice. They told her not to call them anymore and she would have to get a petition going and bring it to the city. I hate her. My giants are sweet and she has no idea what she is talking about. Miserable lady.

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 05:14:49 pm »
  and has even gone so far as to call the police.  BTW, PIMA never barks at night, only during the day when she can see the squirrels.   :D

She has called the police on me twice. They told her not to call them anymore and she would have to get a petition going and bring it to the city. I hate her. My giants are sweet and she has no idea what she is talking about. Miserable lady.

Oh Oh Oh!!!  You should start a petition to get rid of HER!!!!  ;D ;D ;D 
I think people would much rather see a miserable mean matriarchal COW leave the neighborhood then a couple of gentle giants that warn us when there is a leaf trying to break into the yard.  ;)
I'd sign that petition!  ;) ;D

Offline love4pyrs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2007, 03:54:43 am »
I have read about the barking.Do they still bark if they are inside at night?

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2007, 04:18:52 am »
I have read about the barking.Do they still bark if they are inside at night?

I guess it depends on the dog. Mine do not, but other people on here say theirs do. Some Pyrs bark a lot more than others apparently. Mine only bark CONSTANTLY outside out night. If they bark in the house, it's only because they need something or are alerting to something.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2007, 05:07:34 am »
I've noticed that it not only depends upon the dog, but also on how much night time noise you have in your neighborhood.  When we had Cara we lived in a subdivision in town and she often barked inside at night, usually in our bedroom at 2AM without even lifting her head!  It was hysterical, in retrospect...n ot so funny when you're sound asleep until you're levitated off of the bed.  The funniest part was that when she'd wake up to bark, her mouth wouldn't even completely open b/c she was still mostly asleep and she'd just make a "booof" sound but it was loud enough to wake us up, then she'd go right back to snoring.   ::)  ;D  Since then we've lived in the country, so Halley, Sammy & Cassie have all only barked occasionally at night and I've noticed that even my light sleeper hubby just mumbles "shush" to them in his sleep. LOL  When we travel in our RV they sleep inside with us and if we're in a noisy RV park, we spend part of the night shushing them, so we try to find quiet places to camp.  All of ours have only slept inside, a Pyr outside at night is not going to be well liked by anyone within 1/2 mile radius.  Pyrs bark and they dig, and in all these years of loving them I haven't found a way to stop them from doing either.  Sammy knows what "no dig" means, it means don't dig when Mom's watching.  ;)  ;D  ::)  Otherwise, the dirt's fair game.  He's just pyrfect that way!   ::)  ;D

Now, all of that sounds really negative, and you know that I love the breed, but I think that anyone considering a Pyr should know in advance so they can adjust their lifestyle accordingly.  Otherwise, it's sad but shelters & rescues are full of Pyrs that didn't fit into their family's lifestyle.  They bark b/c they were bred to, so they really don't have any control over it.  I've met so many people that say that they will just train their Pyr not to bark or dig, but it just doesn't happen.  It's like trying to make an elephant into a kangaroo.  In our case, we just moved to the country so that our Pyrs could be Pyrs, but not everyone can or is willing to do that.  There's an upside and downside to everything.  The barking can be annoying, but I always know when someone is approaching the house and that is a very comfortable feeling.  The fur balls come from those soft, snuggly fur coats that I love to pet, and the dirt...?  Oh well, it sweeps up with the fur balls. (shrug)  ;D 
Marie

And my pups:

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2007, 05:25:16 am »
Yeah, I agree about adjusting accordingly. I did a lot of reading on them before we got them so I knew what to expect and wouldn't be surprised or disappointed or trying to train them out of something that is just inbred in them. So, it was good because when all those Pyr traits starting showing (didn't take long ;)) I was prepared for them. I read too that one of the biggest reasons they end up in shelters is because of the barking problem. :( Ours have never slept outside either, I'd never let them but I can't imagine even myself sleeping through that barking lol. We try to not let them outside long at night once it's past like 10 so as not to be terribly rude to the neighbors..oth er than our dogs and a few random little yipes from the mini Aussies behind us, you don't hear dogs barking here. Our neighborhood is relatively a quiet one. It sounds obnoxious from inside the house but not until the other day, when Yiska was outside and I went to get the mail (this was daylight too) did I realize just HOW loud she is out there! Not only that but it seems to echo through the neighborhood lol. I can only imagine how Yukon sounds since he has a much deeper bark.

Oh well, thay are sure funny things. They are too sweet to get mad at really. Yiska just makes me laugh because she's just a silly pup, but I know she's still doing her duty. I tell her what good guard doggy she is being. :D :-*

And one thing is for sure, everyone around us knows we have the 2 big white barkers, I don't think anyone wants to come around here, if just for the noise. :D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 05:26:31 am by mama2many »