Author Topic: Why Do Pyrs Bark?  (Read 10552 times)

Offline Teresa Marie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Why Do Pyrs Bark?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2007, 08:12:13 am »
I love all these stories!
My first Pyr (Blizzard , now passed away) Was a big barker. She'd bark at anything and everything. Inside or outside. She's bark at things none of us could ever hear.

But Cloud,  (22 months old), rarely lets out a bark. If he does,it's a three point bark and we all hurry to see what it is. Because I promise you it is ALWAYS somthing. From a pack of coyotes running along the river and through park, to a loose dark dashing around the common ground or kids jumping fences.  In fact, he's stopped someone from stealing a bike from our carport.

Does anyone's Pyr bark in their sleep? Cloud will make these cute little muffled barks.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2007, 09:43:18 am »

Does anyone's Pyr bark in their sleep? Cloud will make these cute little muffled barks.

Yep, Cara did *that* too!  I swear that girl could bark with a mouth full of food.  She was wonderful in every way...just a bit noisy....   ;)  ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2007, 05:37:02 pm »

Yep, Cara did *that* too!  I swear that girl could bark with a mouth full of food.  She was wonderful in every way...just a bit noisy....   ;)  ;D

Naja too barks in her sleep.  It's SOOOO cute, I'll watch her sleep and her little (Well, I guess really not so little :D) paws would be twitching away, and I know that she's chasing a squirrel or rabbit or somthing else really fun in her dream!  And she'll start barking at what ever it is, and do this really low little howl.  Kinda like when she's awake, just softer.   ;D ;D ;D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2007, 08:03:24 pm »
Hahaha, aww. Ours don't bark in their sleep..they just make little pittiful yipes a lot, well it's always Yukon that does and we know he's dreaming.

Offline vikk

• Gnawer
  • Waco the Wonder Dog is ready to help Santa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2007, 10:25:59 pm »
Oh my, that is truly funny. I'm down sick with a cold but I couldn't help laughing out loud. Thanks.

That said, as a potential wannabe Pyr owner (?), I'm a little worried.  :o
Canine family:
Freddie, Maltese  3 yrs
Teddy, Shih Tsu   6.5 yrs
Riley, Cocker     6 yrs
Waco the Wonder Dog, Great Pyrenees  2 yrs

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2007, 01:51:57 am »
That said, as a potential wannabe Pyr owner (?), I'm a little worried. 
Don't be worried.  When we describe our Pyrs barking, we don't mean they bark all the time.  They are just a more vocal breed than some.  They don't bounce around your feet or guest's feet barking like some little yippy breeds.  They simply bark to let you know there is something that you need to be aware of.  Squirrels on the screen enclosure, kids playing and screaming in the street, people accross the lake yelling and arguing, someone walking on the sidewalk in front of the house, etc.  Jake is the only dog I have ever had who will bark when he wants to go out.  He is not a nuisance barker.  Of course he is always in the house except to go to the bathroom or out on the leash.  We have learned not to let him lay on the floor in the sunroom where he can see the squirrels or hear the people accross the lake.  It is just something you adapt to and learn to head off if it is something that really bothers you.  The love and affection you get from a Pyr more than makes up for the occassional barking.  AND like our garbagemen told my husband "Man, you'd have to be a fool to break into your house.  We heard that dog and we've seen him in the window.  Bet he'd eat you alive."  Yeah!!  Keep thinking that and spread the word.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline vikk

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2007, 08:07:43 am »
Well, this potential "wannabee Pyr owner" is on the verge of becoming an "official Pyr owner." I met my guy today. He's from the Texas Pyr Rescue group and will be joining my little family soon.

If you'd like to see my boy, click on this link:
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=9603511

He's Waco the Wonder Boy!

I pick him up tomorrow at High Noon.  ;D

Wish me luck ... send fencing instructions fast.
Canine family:
Freddie, Maltese  3 yrs
Riley, Cocker     6 yrs

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2007, 05:01:11 pm »
Congratulation s!  He is such a handsome fellow, love his ears.  Ditto on the photos. 
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2007, 05:38:42 pm »
The Pyr we didn't get from rescue had a scar across his nose from wearing a muzzle for way too long.  They guessed it was from someone trying to stop barking.  He needed to be an only dog due to dog-on-dog agression issues, so he wouldn't have been a good fit here.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2007, 05:57:15 pm »
Wow, he is a beautiful boy! COngratulation s. I can see why you were smitten!  ;D
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline vikk

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2007, 07:25:37 pm »
Thanks everyone! Well, it's 9:30 am and I'm getting ready to make the big drive. I have the Flip Video and I'm charging up the camera's batteries. I have a list of things to ask his foster mom. Shopping will be easy as we'll be at a local Petco. My grandaughter is going to go with me to help welcome Waco into our family.

I feel as though I'm making a big step forward. Beau isn't forgotten. I'm sure if he could speak, he'd tell me take another canine angel in like I did with hm and pass it on.

I'll start another thread with photos when we get settled.
Canine family:
Freddie, Maltese  3 yrs
Riley, Cocker     6 yrs