Author Topic: I know its not Christmas yet, but this is my first one with a pup...  (Read 2156 times)

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Alright, so i was wondering... by christmas time, my pup is going to be pretty big... for all of you that celebrate it with a tree and all, how do i go about it!? obviously, no tinsel... (which i hate cuz i LOVE tinsel)... but im thinking orniments up high right... wellllllll its going to look a little goofy with orniments on the top 2ft of my tree... and what about lights? we always put them on layer by layer around the inside most part of the tree, but i dont know how snoopy she will be! right now she doesnt seem like she would get into it, but they change, and its a whole new thing... i just wondered what you guys do... OH and for those with Great Danes.. i read before that they get really cold outside in the winter and they need to have a jacket on, how many of you agree with this and put one on your dane, and if you do, where in the world did you get it!!! i cant find any doggie clothes her size!
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
Re: I know its not Christmas yet, but this is my first one with a pup...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 10:42:30 pm »
My recipe for last 20+years is quite simple. Tie your tree at the top and forget about bottom level! I have 3 GSD +6 cats at home so sometimes the fun is a bit crazy.
I started hanging my tree when I had my first saint and 3 babies 1, 2 and 3 yo. By tieing at the top, tree will never fell over whatever happens at the ground floor.
Now I have proper tree nail in the ceiling where the tree is hanging each year.
On the botom I usually put a bucket with water so tree is in the water - it helps to keep it fresh longer.
And my glass decorations I use only for the top part, the bottom is decorated with plastic balls and metal bells, cas like to play with them. It looks completely ok ad no one had suspected that it has been done differently than usual way.
I will try to find some pictures.

This is not the best one, but you can actually see hat it is attached to he beam

Looks quite neat, nobody suspects that this is child/dog proof ree

In this one you can even see the bucket

« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 11:48:01 pm by AnnaCrew »
http://ozolkalni.blogspot.com/
Come and pat Grace athttp://en.uniteddogs.com/dog/16498

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 01:05:34 am »
I love your pics AnnaCrew!  My dad did the same thing with our Christmas tree years ago.  We had a litter of kittens that we were fostering and they kept running up the tree, so he hung it from the open beamed ceiling with strong fishing line.  It worked!  The main things for xmas tree safety is no tinsel, no breakable ornaments or anything that they can choke on or get shocked or poisoned by.  Yep, that makes it tough I know.   ::)  ;D  Maybe you could put the tree in a less used room and place baby gates around it?  When the kids were really little we had a 3-4' tree and we'd sit it on our wet bar counter.  That was high enough that the kids couldn't reach, but it may not work for a (by then) good sized Dane puppy.  ;)
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 01:36:15 am »
Alright, so i was wondering... by christmas time, my pup is going to be pretty big... for all of you that celebrate it with a tree and all, how do i go about it!? obviously, no tinsel... (which i hate cuz i LOVE tinsel)... but im thinking orniments up high right... wellllllll its going to look a little goofy with orniments on the top 2ft of my tree... and what about lights? we always put them on layer by layer around the inside most part of the tree, but i dont know how snoopy she will be! right now she doesnt seem like she would get into it, but they change, and its a whole new thing... i just wondered what you guys do... OH and for those with Great Danes.. i read before that they get really cold outside in the winter and they need to have a jacket on, how many of you agree with this and put one on your dane, and if you do, where in the world did you get it!!! i cant find any doggie clothes her size!
we didn't have a problem with the girls...Lady and Grace.  there was no tree in 2006, but 2005 when Grace was only 11 months and Lady about 1 1/2 years...the tree was fine.  no bulbs were busted even.

Offline Duramax

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 04:38:34 am »
wow boy do i have christmas tree storries
one time my brother ate a glass bulb when we were kids.
one time my pet dachshund unwrapped a whole box of jellybeans broke open the box and ate em all.
one time my pet dachshund unwrapped a box of chocolate :-\
and every single year with out fail the dachshunds (who werent nutered pee all over the packages on every corner marking them as 'mine'.
every year the dogs and kids nock over the little train that circles around the bottom.
one time my little girl tried to take the christmas tree skirt out from the bottom of the tree and wear it.

so honestly i would suggest a 4, or maybe 6 foot fence to surround the christmas tree...... :-\

or maybe some bitter apple spray or pet spray repellent.... :)

Christina
mother of:
2 babies
2 great danes -Duramax
              -boog

"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant." -Unknown

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 06:07:35 am »
haha love the stories, thanks guys.. last year we had 2 cats and they played in the tree with each other. we ended up with about half a string of lights that worked, and most all orniments broken.. arg....

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 04:07:04 am »
ill probably just get a small tree on top of the TV stand, entertainment thingie, whatever those are... big cabinet thinger...eee. .... so anyone on the sweaters though