Author Topic: Maybe A New Dane In The House... GOD I HOPE!  (Read 19007 times)

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe A New Dane In The House... GOD I HOPE!
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 04:54:58 pm »
well sorry to say but linda really didnt help me. when it came to HOD she seemed to just repeat everything i read on her website. then i have spoken to her before in e-mail about chloe and all, but then when it came in here she thought she didnt have HOD at all, and it just confused me. im not about to change her diet at all because its the only one thats worked for her, and i mean ONLY. she had never been able to walk untill i started her on the one shes on, and no, its not lindas. and no, im not putting her on lindas... i dont mean to offend anyone or her, but it just isnt working for my pup. and with having another pup around, she really isnt in pain right now, shes just so depressed she wont get up and do things, which then doesnt help her to build any muscle or streach out those legs and stuff. you kind of have to see her to understand why i think another friend would help her. when you see her around another dog, shes a completely different pup. like nothing is wrong with her. shes not all that great on a leash right now because i never had time to train her (duh), but she usually just walks along next to you, but if there is another dog, she pulls sooo hard to get to them, i actually have trouble holding her. (obviously im working with her on this, it was just impossible before) i just think a pup will encourage her to do more and try more and be happy..
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 05:13:42 pm »
i just think a pup will encourage her to do more and try more and be happy..

I think you're right about another dog encouraging Chloe to do more. Right now she's probably thinking, now why in the world would I want to do that? I feel just fine right where I am. With another dog, she'll be running around and playing, not even realizing she's doing her long legs a favor.

I had a similar situation when I still lived with my parents. We had a mini schnauzer (which my parents still have). We got her when she was 10 years old (my great aunt died so we took her in). She was the only dog in the house and wouldn't do anything. Just lounge around. Acting like the old arthritic pup she was. Then, we got a german shepherd puppy and she perked right up. She acts like she's just a pup now. Even when not interacting with Harlee (the GSD), she's all bouncy and everything. Having another dog in the house changed her for sure.

I hope you choose to get a pal for Chloe. Let us know how the conversation with the woman who has the pup you're interested in now goes. ;D
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Nicole

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 06:36:18 pm »
Hey!

Sorry I'm late getting to this thread. I just read the whole thing. (I guess being pregnant has drawn me to the puppy threads)

Anyway, I don't really know much about Danes, or HOD, or orthapedic stuff in general, but I do know that puppies together play HARD AND ROUGH! I think that I agree with Julie. Maybe find Chloe some play groups or something like that, or just give her all of YOUR attention until she's back up 100%.

It just scares me to think about 2 Dane puppies jumping and wrestling when that poor girl is still recovering. That's just my opinion, though!!!

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 09:18:12 pm »
well you didnt hit a nerve. shes just a pup you need to live with to really understand where in her recovery she is. and you kind of have to live with her to understand what her condition is like right now. what i also have to look at is, what if she is never 100%? is it fair for her to never get to play as a pup or growing up because she *might* get hurt. its not like i wouldnt be supervising them. someone is with Chloe at all hours of the day. shes never alone. so if shes never 100%, then her whole life, shes not allowed to play with other dogs because of it? i dont think thats fair. i also think that other interaction will help her get courage and encourage her to do things. and i know you guys are all about your foods and all, but im not about to change her if shes doing good. why would i do that to her? every dog is different, the way i look at it, and have different needs. she doesnt react to certain meds like most dogs do, and the same with foods. as far as im concerned, shes recovering and putting on weight that she greatly needs, so why should i change anything? i dont care if you dont want to feed it to your dogs, thats not my business, and i hope you are doing what you think is right for your pups (who are by the way sooo adorable!) but right now i need to do whats best for her, and this is what is working for her. i dont dare at this point, change and cause any regression!

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2007, 03:12:08 am »
Well, not to fuel the fire, but I'd ask the vet, I guess. He'd know best what Chloe's up for. If the vet seemed to think she'd be ok with a buddy, then I'd rely on that. I guess if the vet's opinion was that Chloe needed time, I'd have to take that, too, and try to cool the puppy fever, as tough as that would be! Anyway, that's my unsolicited opinion - I'd let the vet give an opinion. ;D
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2007, 03:32:08 pm »
when i meant changing anything to cause any regression, i speaking of her diet. i take a lot of crud for feeding her eukanuba, but im not going to change it because anyone else doesnt feel its good enough for their dog. right now, its what works for her, so im not going to change her food to make someone else happy or because someone said i should. thats what i meant by that. shes putting on weight, up and walking, and feeling good.. so im not about to change her diet at all.

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2007, 03:46:31 pm »
Like you said, if the eukanuba works for her, I would keep using it! Even if it's not the best food out there, it is helping her out, and that is what we want!!!

As far as getting another dog goes, I definitely wouldn't rule get getting another one, I'd just get one that is finished with the whole puppy stage. At least 3 years old I'd say. Also, I would have the two dogs meet up at your house or a neutral environment to see how they act.
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2007, 04:55:32 pm »
Hmmm. I guess I haven't been around long enough to be commenting on what I think is best for Miss Chloe and how serious her condition is. :-\

I just want whats best for her.

P.S.Linda really does know her stuff. I visit her site often. Her recommendation may not work for Chloe, but things do need time to work. Maybe you should give it another try? Just a suggestion.
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2007, 05:50:08 pm »
Clearly you are looking for what's best for Chloe, I can completely symphatize with you in that regard, the little demons steal your heart! Never having owned a Dane or experienced HOD I really don't know what the answer is or if there is just one answer for her. I will tell you that Phelan has been limping on and off for about 3 weeks (Pano), after 1 week he appeared to be all better so we for a short jaunt. He LOVES other dogs so even though we went late to the dog park (i wanted him to swim instead of run) he found a friend and ran around. He looked fine until we got home :( Talk about ripping your heart out, it was totally my fault that he came back limping, I didn't give him enough time. I can totally understand your philosophy on Chloe feeling better when playing, but I know if we had another dog in the house Phelan would play and not rest. If you can handle seperating the pups to let Chloe heal, walking the other dog while Chloe rests...then do what you feel is right. I know it would kill me to leave Phelan behind. I wouldn't want the other pup to miss out either though. It really comes down to doing what is best for BOTH dogs. Good luck, I really hope Chloe gets better soon :-*

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2007, 08:09:24 pm »
i'm not saying do or don't get the dog or do or don't try this with her, but i will say that i totally agree with what meandphelan said about how heartbreaking it can be to watch something you incurred.  axle LOVES to play with other dogs, he LOVES to go for walks, and he LOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOVES to go for long car rides.  scrunched up in a donut in the front seat.  but, even though he loves those things so much, every time we do them he comes out of it limping b/c of his HD.  it's an awful feeling to see what the results of your decision were when it doesn't work out like you wanted.  with us, even just a trip to petsmart can wreck havoc on axle's hips if it's too hot or too cold or even if they just waxed the floors and will leave him sore for days.  i know you would love to have another dane (trust me so would i, but right now just isn't my time  :(), but it is about chloe and the other pupper.  it's not just about her healing, but on the other hand you're going to have a perfectly healthy puppy who is going to want to rough house and play and you'll have to keep them toned down and not let it happen if it's causing problems with chloe.  with chloe, at least there's a reason to keep from being a complete maniac running around, and it's not because another dog in the house is sick when the other dog is 110% healthy.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2007, 08:19:44 pm »
well iut doesnt matter now because im not getting the pup. but what i do want to say is im not "blowing" linda off. i did try it, but for my pup to lay in screaming, not even crying, SCREAMING in pain for 3 days strait..im sorry, i cant do that to her. when i took her into the vet after that, for him to look at her and say "oh my god, this dog needs serious help now!" i knew it wasnt working. im not about to put her through sheer misery for months for it to work. im sorry, its just not going to happen.

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2007, 10:17:54 pm »
Wow - I'm totally confused! I thought the thread started with Chloe's mom thinking about getting Chloe a brother - I missed the transition to the great food debate. Sounds like a hot topic. Maybe it's one that should be left to each pet owner to research and decide. I don't have a clue who Linda is or what that whole thing is about, but I think we all do our best for our pets, and as long as we are taking them to the vet regularly and they are loved and healthy, the food thing is kind of a personal decision. Personally, I can't afford the super duper expensive foods, but that doesn't mean my dog is not happy, not healthy or unloved. I hate to see Chloe's mom feeling backed into a corner when I think all she was trying to do was share that she found a really awesome dane pup and was thinking about bringing him home. Whether we're 19 or 59, what we all have in common is loving our puppers. We all enjoy sharing our pup stories and pictures, our ups and downs, the tough stuff and the fun stuff. Let's keep on doing that. There are lots of things we all are not going to agree on - inside dogs vs. outside, crate training vs. not, whatever. It's all good! Peace, love and big paws.  ;)
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2007, 12:14:16 am »
OK back to the topic at hand.  I just read your reply that you are not going to get the pup.  Did you get to meet him, or was it a her, at all?  I'm sorry you didn't get him, I know you were so excited.  When your pup is out there you'll get him/her.  I know when I finally decided to get another GSD I had quite a few "misses" and I was really unsure about Issy too actually, but she is definitaly MY dog now!!  Ah well, maybe next time!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2007, 03:17:06 am »
Sorry things will work out...it will when the time is right. I can tell you now that we have 2 XL pups ( both 7 months old) in the house they play HARD!!! Holly cow, slamming into things, jumping over furniture, biting, crashing into each other...being 2 healthy pups, I am scared to death they are going to break each other. Even outside they run full blast at each other... I would reccomend trying to find a pup near you hat Cloe can have playtime with just to perk her up, I think that would be great for her, and you can give her short controled periods of play. Give her a hug for me. :)
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.