Author Topic: Question about rimadyl and arthritis  (Read 5338 times)

Offline JakeNAudrei

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Question about rimadyl and arthritis
« on: August 30, 2007, 09:29:35 pm »
Hey! My golden was put on rimadyl last week and only has about a weeks worth of medication. I have seen a great improvement in him. He went from limping on his left rear leg and slow to rise (if he even wanted to do that), to now he has a lot more energy and I can tell his pain is not like it was. But when I asked if he needed a refill the vet said no. So I am not very familar with this medication. But does this mean that he is better and will no longer have any problems or do I need to just place him on some kind of supplement? I am confused about this medicine and also a new to arthritis, this is first treatment. Any suggestions?? :-\

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Question about rimadyl and arthritis
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 11:46:24 pm »
i do think adequan is a great thing to use, its just expencive and you have to give it some time. if you have the money, its well worth it. if your vet is willing to (i know most vets wont) teach you how to give the injection yourself and you can buy some needles and syringes that would save a ton of money... thats what we do. but other than that, you kind of have to bite the bullet on those expences :-\
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

Offline rickie

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Short dogs, but big paws :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 11:52:40 pm »
I haven't posted here for ages. You all were so helpful with ideas when Molly was losing hair a few years ago. She is doing better and is now on thyroid meds. Well, yesterday I came home from work and Tilly seemed in so much discomfort. I called the vet and they fit me in this afternoon. He thinks she may have slipped a disc, which is common in Bassets. He gave her an injection of Rimadyl and sent me home with Rimadyl tabs and Tramadol tabs. My first concern were the side effects, and scared myself by going out to the web. What was I thinking??? I should have come here first!! I find it so amazing that this thread was right here :)
Short dogs Big paws

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 12:52:18 am »
ahhhahaha yes the BPO has read your mind again.... i wouldnt worry much. my pup has been on rimadyl and tramadol for a while now, and she has had no side effects, and shes soooo much better. i hope your pup feels better soon! keep us posted!

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 01:12:04 am »
Kaila received rimadyl for her pano and for her partial acl tear.  I only used it when she was having a really bad day and for a week for the tear.  Other than that I keep it on hand for an emergency which worked out great when Razor came here.  He had gone over a fence of a kennel and had injured one of his hind legs.  A couple of days of rimadyl and he was good as new with rest of course. 

I also give all mine a glucosamine supplement.  It's actually a liquid that I add to their food. 

Before I forget, welcome to the board.

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 01:50:03 am »
Welcome!!!!  Navarre was on Rimadyl daily for years.  He also got a glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM tablets but not the kind that you can get at the wholesale places that are just gluco/chond or just MSM, I wish I could remember what it was!!  But in the last year he started to get pretty bad even on the Rimadyl and I of course had him on just the gluco/chond so I got some of the other stuff and could tell a difference in about 10 days.  Now, you do have to have a liver panel run every year if the Rimadyl is given daily.  Navarre died when he was 6 1/2 so he wasn't an old dog by any means but he had HD and arthritis in his lower spine that was horrible as early as age 3 so that's why he was on it daily.  Good luck and you're in the right place to get some answers!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 02:03:36 am »
MSM is also awesome, i wish i would have said that when i first brought it up. right now im using it on a horse of mine, Fat Sam (his name is actually Origina Sam, but hes fat....so hes fat sam), he had a broken splint and had surgery to have part of it removed, and he hasent been doing well since... so i just started him on it, we will see what happens!

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 04:14:50 pm »
Here is the glucosamine supplement that I have my heathens on now.  I haven't found the gallon jug anywhere else but here.  The other good side is apparently it has a good taste because all 4 of them eat it just fine when they would pick at the food with the powder in it before. 

http://www.jbpet.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=521_611&products_id=1885
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline JakeNAudrei

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 06:06:51 am »
Thanks for the info guys. My golden is only six so I dont think it is a severe case or anything. But I will try the supplements to make sure his skeletal system stays up to par and he is pain free. This was not my regular vet that put him on it but we go to him in October for an annual check up and see what he thinks. But I am a believer for the rimadyl, it has given me my playful pooch back!

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2007, 06:17:55 am »
Thanks for the info guys. My golden is only six so I dont think it is a severe case or anything. But I will try the supplements to make sure his skeletal system stays up to par and he is pain free. This was not my regular vet that put him on it but we go to him in October for an annual check up and see what he thinks. But I am a believer for the rimadyl, it has given me my playful pooch back!

I'm glad that he's doing so well.  Just a word of caution, I've heard that Rimidyl *can* have some really nasty side effects if given long term.  Obviously, you don't want him to be in pain, but maybe once he's on the supplements you will be able to discontinue the Rimidyl (at least until he's older).  At 6, he still pretty young and I'd hate for him to have more health problems b/c of side effects, if there is another way to keep him comfortable.  Daisy is only on the glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM blend without any pain relievers and she plays like a puppy if I don't keep an eye on her.   ;)
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline JakeNAudrei

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2007, 06:24:53 am »
Tomorrow is his last day on rimadyl. And it will be end of next week before I can get some supplements. But I hope we won't have to do any rimadyl on long term due to the possible side effects. He is also being treated for sarcoptic mange! (him and mt lab) So he has not had a good time lately. We are still doing the dips and he is on keflex due to secondary infections, he doesn't have much hair. He looks pitiful! I miss that pretty golden coat! And it sucks not being able to love on them like i am used to.   :(

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2007, 06:43:01 am »
Tomorrow is his last day on rimadyl. And it will be end of next week before I can get some supplements. But I hope we won't have to do any rimadyl on long term due to the possible side effects. He is also being treated for sarcoptic mange! (him and mt lab) So he has not had a good time lately. We are still doing the dips and he is on keflex due to secondary infections, he doesn't have much hair. He looks pitiful! I miss that pretty golden coat! And it sucks not being able to love on them like i am used to.   :(

Awww, poor pups!  It sounds like they've had a tough time lately!  It's great though that you're right on top of all of this, they'll feel better and have their soft coats back again soon.  It's good that the Rimidyl is likely only for short term and I hope that the supplements work well for him, too.  Please keep us posted.   ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline rickie

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Short dogs, but big paws :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007, 04:20:26 am »
Tilly was not doing so well this morning. She couldn't lift herself to stand. I had to "wheelbarrow" her out to go potty. I picked up a lift harness just to save my back and to help her. I am going to increase the Tramadol to every six hours instead of 8. The instructions were to do so if needed. When I came home this evening she was able to get up, but was a bit wabbly so I am using the harness to assist. I'm off to bed, I'm exhausted, too much crying today. Please keep Tilly in your thoughts. She just turned 5 and has so many years ahead of her.
Short dogs Big paws

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2007, 11:09:11 pm »
thats a good idea to up it. i periodically need to up my pups on her bad days. but dont go over 3 pills in 24hrs. thats all you have to watch. how many are you giving right now? if only one a day maybe trying to up it just a half a pill at a time would be better. my pup right now is on 2 fulls pills every day, and 3 on her bad days, so shes at maximum dosage right now of tramadol. and for the rimadyl, shes also on max dose of that every day no matter what the dose of tramadol shes getting. i hope your baby feels better soon!