Author Topic: fleas arrrggghhh ......also food??  (Read 4321 times)

Offline newfie owner

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • molly our furry baby xxx
    • View Profile
fleas arrrggghhh ......also food??
« on: August 30, 2007, 12:37:56 pm »
hi,wanted to pick your brains,molly has been getting fleas,we have been combing her regular,every day,aswell as the other pets in the house,what stuff do you use and what methods to get rid of them and the eggs??

also what food would you say is the best for your dog? l'm in the UK so whether or not they do the same food over here then l'm not sure,any advice would be great  :o

she is on the purina pro plan puppy,but we are thinking of changing it.

debi and ste :)
owners of
molly-6 month old newfie pup aswell as other pets

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: fleas arrrggghhh ......also food??
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 01:55:27 pm »
Hi!  I don't know if you're using something for the fleas already, but with Naja, and Moo, because they are still too young for Program, we are using the stuff you squeeze onto their necks.  It's an oil, I think it's called Advantage.  That seems to be working well on our flea problem, and I haven't seen any ticks on either puppy yet too.  For the food, I would definately suggest switching foods.  Purina has lots of fillers, it's like feeding Molly McDonalds every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Although not as bad as others that are out there.  You want too look for a food that is grain free, and 24% Crude Protein or less.  The lower protein helps protect her bones and joints from growing too quickly preventing hopefully problems down the road.  I also give Naja Glucosamine supplements to help keep her joints healthy.  I'm at work right now, or I'd tell you what they are.  I can tell you that they come in yummy treats that are made from peanut butter, or liver, there's a few different ones.  The pups love them! ;)  Hope this helps.   ;)  Slobbery kisses for Molly from Naja, Moo and me!
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 05:56:39 pm »
I have used boric acid powder for years to keep fleas out of my house and off my pets.  It doesn't harm the pups or the cats. 

I also feed Innova EVO to my crew.  I was feeding Natural Balance for awhile and it was a good food also. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Jas2Cats

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All my babies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 10:03:54 pm »
I use Natural Balance for my dog's food.  Don't know if you have that in the UK.

As for fleas, they say that fleas travel on cats and feed on dogs.  Well, my cat is an indoor/outdoor cat with long hair, and you'd think she's a flea bus (or cruise ship).  I use Frontline Plus on her, and on both dogs.  I really don't like using a chemical, but, its the only way I've been able to keep the fleas away.
Alyce

Woody  (aka Big Dog) (12 1/2) Shorthaired Laberaimer (1/2 German Shorthair, 1/4 Lab, 1/4 Weimaraimer)
Maple (aka Princess Poo) (7 1/2) Boxer/ GS mix
Fuzzy (15 1/2)long haired tabby cat
Trouble & Double 3 1/2 year old African Leopard Tortoises.
Ed (17+) and Cris (13+) skin kids