Author Topic: ??How Do I Know WHAT It Is??  (Read 7369 times)

Offline GeegLuvMyDogs

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
??How Do I Know WHAT It Is??
« on: September 01, 2007, 08:18:04 am »
Since yesterday afternoon (Fri. 8/31), our Newf, Ebony, has lost CHUNKS of fur off her backside because she has been chewing herself RAW.  Last night there was one "hot spot" on her rump, now tonight we can see another couple developing.  We're really worried. 

Question:  how do I know IF it's fleas? I'm assuming it is and that she's digging at the bites.  How do I know if it's worms??

After a too-long hiatus from using Frontline, we did apply it last night, but after reading a bunch of posts here I'm reminded that it's not an "instant cure".

We need some help and insight!  Thanks!

Gigi

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: ??How Do I Know WHAT It Is??
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 11:44:06 am »
Ouch, poor baby!  We had a pyr years ago that was very prone to hot spots.  The best med that she ever had prescribed was a powder that contained a topical antibiotic, cortisone & a local anesthetic.  We kept it on hand for her after that.  I don't recall now what it was called (this was 8 yrs ago), but it gave her almost immediate relief from the itching & pain, healed quickly, was easy and less painful & messy to apply than sprays & creams.  If your vet recognizes this description and will prescribe it, it's a wonderful med for hot spots.  I hope that she's feeling better soon!   :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Ouch

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Sadie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 03:26:07 pm »
I've been through this twice now with my Springer over the past 7 years and agree .. as soon as you catch it you clip the surrounding area and clean .. the last episode it got so bad so quickly within 48 hrs, the vet had to put him under to clip and clean it .. on Cephalexin 500 mg for 14 days and I will always have the Betagen Topical Spray on hand.  The vet has some pill (I cannot remember the name) but he gave Emmitt one at his office and said get him home ASAP and do not let him in your house for at least 3 hours .. and like he said the fleas could be seen departing poor old Em.  I use Tea Tree and Lavender essential oils - 8 drops of each to a cup of water and keep it in a plant mister by the door and just as an added protection mist my dogs before we go out NOTE:  ESSENTIAL OILS ARE DANGEROUS TO CATS/KITTENS  I also frontline my animals too.
Copper, 12 yr old American Cocker
Emmitt, 7 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Sadie, 2 yr old Newfie
OnryHenry, 17 yr old King Feline of KY

Offline jc1231

• Ankle Biter
  • "Dog" days of summer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 05:35:51 pm »
Oooohhh! I'm going to give Solarcane a try. :o

My husband and I have been battling a rash (similar to athlete's foot in appearance) on Duke's under-carriage for over a year now (vet visits included), with no results. :-\

Thank you for the tip.

JC
When all forward progress seems to be going in reverse, remember Mom spelled backwards is still Mom.

Jennifer
Mom to 5 kids and 1 big dog :)

Offline GeegLuvMyDogs

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 07:20:28 am »
First of all....THANK YOU, THANK YOU for all the responses!  It goes SO FAR knowing that I'm not in this alone on a holiday weekend, trying to figure out what's going on with Ebony.

My husband washed her hot spots (now up to three but they haven't gotten any bigger today) with hydrogen peroxide and applied Solarcaine early this afternoon. So far so good.  She's not digging at herself and spent most of the afternoon lying next to the house on the back porch.  Tonight she seems a little perkier this evening.  She didn't eat at all yesterday but she did have some dinner tonight.  She's been drinking water pretty good.

I hear you COMPLETELY on staying AHEAD on the flea issue.  I am currently looking for DE (does anyone know if Home Depot carries the non-pool kind that's okay for pets?).

Thanks everyone.  My goal here is that someday I can be the one with an encouraging word or some well spoken knowledge to help someone else!

Gigi & Ebony

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 07:30:29 am »
You can find DE in Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart....  I can't wait to get a few days without rain (but we do sooo need what we've been getting) so that I can put some down because it's ineffective after it gets wet.  I hope the Solarcaine works for you!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix