Author Topic: Help!! Bleeding toenail  (Read 5350 times)

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Help!! Bleeding toenail
« on: September 02, 2007, 04:04:07 am »
I'm a bad Mom.I cut Tub's toe nails tonight and cut one too short :( I have tried cornstarch,flour,a bar of soap,quick stop and pressure.It stops for awhile and then starts to bleed again.What should I do next?????
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

Icerotti

Re: Help!! Bleeding toenail
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 04:15:25 am »

Holding ice on the cut surface (if the dog will allow) will also help stop bleeding

Your not a bad mom I manage to give a bleeder everytime we do nails ::)

angelsmama

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 04:18:45 am »
ok.. you may think i am crazy but... do you have any cayenne pepper, ground cayenne.. it stops bleeding, and it does NOT burn.. anytime ive had a cut or anyone in my house we put cayenne on it and it stops the bleeding... you'd think it would really hurt but it doesnt at all..

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 06:19:05 am »
If the ice does not work, I would put more quik stop (alot of it) and then wrap the foot for an hour.

Sure do not miss these days thank goodness for dremels!

Offline jc1231

• Ankle Biter
  • "Dog" days of summer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 04:06:34 pm »
ok.. you may think i am crazy but... do you have any cayenne pepper, ground cayenne.. it stops bleeding, and it does NOT burn.. anytime ive had a cut or anyone in my house we put cayenne on it and it stops the bleeding... you'd think it would really hurt but it doesnt at all..

Not crazy! ::) Cayenne has excellent, very effective, healing properties. I've used it before for sore throats and have heard of its use for tummy ulcers. Now that I know it can be used on the surface, I'm going to try a bit on Duke's belly rash. Something's got to clear that mess up!

Thank you all for the toe nail clipping advice - in advance. ;D I was considering giving Duke a manicure.....o r is that a pedicure....he re in the near future.

JC
When all forward progress seems to be going in reverse, remember Mom spelled backwards is still Mom.

Jennifer
Mom to 5 kids and 1 big dog :)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 04:12:11 pm »
OH  That is a nasty problem.  Grace got her nail cut too short once and bled for 6 hours.  the vet said to get some powdered "Styptic Powder" from the men's shaving isle.  that's clots the blood.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 04:13:36 pm »
Flour isn't the best according to my vet. i used it too...backing soda and cornstartch.  she said flour will actually not stop the bleeding and cornstartch was their choice until i could get some styptic powder