Author Topic: Eep! Talk about scary..  (Read 4724 times)

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Eep! Talk about scary..
« on: October 23, 2007, 02:22:43 pm »
Maggie is an escape artist. She knows how to open up the backyard gate with her nose. We thought we solved the problem with simply clipping it shut with a leash hook, works well if people remember to actually clip it on the gate.       
 Anyways yesterday morning my sister put Maggie in the backyard before we left for school and forgot to clip the gate shut. So of course when my mom woke up and Maggie was no where to be found, she freaked out. My mom said she looked and called for Maggie for about 20 min and when my mom went back home, Maggie came running and literally flew past her into the yard. Seeming very agitated about something.
 Scary part, Maggie was collarless. My mom noticed that right away that Maggie's collar was missing! Mom didn't say much about it. We assumed she lost it somehow, even though it's pretty sturdy. Well then my mom was talking to our neighbor and she told my mom about this pit bull loose in the alley and how some guy coaxed the dog up to him, took OFF his collar and threw it into the trash, then coaxed the dog with him! Gah!! The neighbor said she tried to call us and no one was home at the moment, which is quite sad because frankly I'd have no problem running out there and telling that guy it was my dog. Can't really blame my neighbor though, she's well into her 80s, don't expect her to run up to a potentially dangerous man.
 It's a scary thought to think this could have been what happened to Maggie! We walked up and down the alley looking for her collar and of course it's not there, but then again today was trash day.. Luckily all that matters is I still have my girl with me and we'll be more persistent about making sure the clip is on the gate.
 Also keep that poor pit in your thoughts and prayers, God knows what happened to him. :(
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Eep! Talk about scary..
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 03:49:51 pm »
Yikes, that is way too close for comfort!  I guess you can never can tell who is out there...
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 04:39:45 pm »
Meg, you guys need to inform someone about this guy, at least have a report on file with the local police dept and then contact the local shelters and vets offices- We know what happens when dogs are used for pit bull bait- and this could very well be what this jerk was doing. Also I am just going to bet that he is targeting your neighborhood for now- maybe you should drive around in the mornings looking for him and just watching him. What a jerk this guy is-

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 05:36:04 pm »
Oh, that is scary!  I'm glad she came home safe and sound, if not a bit scared.  Maybe she learned her lesson this time?

I too would be wary about a guy picking up "stray" dogs.  I have heard about a man in Chicago doing this with small dogs.  he's even tried grabbing them from people taking them on a walk.  He's a short balding man driving a red van and has been reported in various areas but no one has gotten a license plate yet.  I'm sure they're for pit bait.  There are warnings out to not let your dogs out in their yard unattended, even for a minute.  Lucky for me, I've got a burgaler (sp?) alarm named Gunther who won't let anyone come w/i 20 feet of the fence/yard.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 07:18:21 pm »
That's totally scary.  I'm so glad that Maggie is safe and home with you. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience