Author Topic: Problem with Canidae Dog Food  (Read 4908 times)

bigdogs@5501

Problem with Canidae Dog Food
« on: September 04, 2007, 02:03:16 am »
This is a post from another board that I am on- FYI on Canidae

A friend bugged me until I sent samples of the dog foods I feed (Canidae & California Natural) to be tested.  The lab called with preliminary results on Friday, and said not to feed either food, until they ran separate tests on the CA Natural (lamb & rice puppy & adult), and Canidae (Original and Lamb/Rice).  They had mistakenly combined my two separate samples, and ran one test, instead of two.  Got the final results yesterday.  The Canidae is contaminated with acetaminophen, the main ingredient in Tylenol.  Acetaminophen is immediately fatal in cats, and if fed to dogs over a period of time will cause terminal liver & kidney damage.  I'm still in shock. 

If you know anyone who feeds Canidae, have them look closely at the dates stamped on the bottom of the sack.  It's hard to find.  Here's what's stamped on the sacks I had tested:  Canidae Original RM 7/7/07, use by 7/7/08; Canidae Lamb & Rice L&R RM 7/6/07, use by 7/6/08.

Perhaps someone else will pay the big price ($250/test) to test the original and lamb/rice separately to see if either or both are contaminated.   I called my dealer yesterday and she's going to call the company.  This is scary--that the problems also exist with top brands of dog food.

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with Canidae Dog Food
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 03:48:48 am »
That's terrifying.  I'm going to go look for the bag now.  I just bought it though.  I wonder.  And it's super expensive to have it tested?  That sux.   Wahhhh!!!  I don't want to put Naja's poor tummy through another food switch!!  I think I might start feeding her raw.  Just avoing the whole stupid processed food thing.  I don't eat processed food, why should I feed it to my dog?
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 04:03:55 am »
Hmmm. I don't know how I feel about this. Do you know if this person contacted Canidae directly? I sure hope so!!

Where would I find the expiration date???
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 04:18:29 am »
I feed Canidae and I thought I was being so good!!  I don't feed the lamb I feed the chicken.

It is so hard to know what the right thing is for the doggies - I can't ask my vet she is great with Harley be will try to sell whatever the clinic is pushing.

I can't feed raw - I can't even touch raw meat for my family it grosses me out (I don't eat meat)

Randy & Harley

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 05:31:42 am »
By Canidae original do you mean All Life Stages?  I'm kind of leary to instigate a switch based on unverified information/ testing though....obvi ously the testing facility isn't too great if they mixed up the samples (who knows what else may have been mixed in).  Hopefully Canidae will respond with some tests and recalls if necessary.

So I'd suggest everyone avoid panicking until it's verified. And maybe we should email them directly and ask about it?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 05:32:16 am by chaos270 »
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 05:37:57 am »
Hopefully there will be an update on this- I think that they were trying to contact the company direct. There are just so many unknowns now with the dog food and the manufacturers. I hope that Canidae will respond in a positive way on this if there is a problem and not do as Menu Foods has done.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 06:19:57 am »
I have wrote Canidae to find out just what is going on.

Offline Edwpang

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 11:33:23 pm »
Butter took a month to fully adapt to his first bag of Canidae All Life Stages(production date:May 2007), somehow he had to do it again with 2nd bag(production date: June 2007). He had eaten the 2nd bag for a month to produce solid poo.

Comments from another forum:
The pattern is that they(canidae) seem to avoid answering what they perceive as uncomfortable questions. I don't believe for a moment that they didn't get my letter in the mail and my email didn't go through, since in response to an inquiry I made a while back they sent me a form-letter reply (which didn't answer any of my questions, but oh well...), so they did at the very least get that email.

Hopefully, they give satifactory response to this problem.

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 04:54:06 am »
I worked with a GCMS in a college lab, during my orientation to the lab it was explained to me that if a smoker sneazed in a sample before it was loaded in the GSCM, it would more than likely show traces of nicotine along with everything else in a cigarette, to say they're sensitive is an understatement .