Author Topic: A new behavior we havent really seen  (Read 7430 times)

Offline mattserinadiego

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
A new behavior we havent really seen
« on: September 04, 2007, 05:16:53 pm »
Hi EVERYONE! my husband has been on a couple of times. My name is Serina. We have a 9 month old landseer named Diego.
We recently moved to norwalk, ct. if there are any other newfs nearby we would love to get together. he hasnt been around too many other newfs. we went to the art festival and everyone kept coming up to him- look at the baby newf. he is 80 lbs so i dont really think of him as little. until we found out there was another one- finn who weighed easily 140. diego looked so small next to him. its amazing how quick they grow. he is such a love! my only concern is we are beginning to see a new behavior, really since being neutered a week ago. i dont know if there is a correlation or if this is typical of the breed.  he now has a little separation anxiety.  and goes into destructive mode. anything- from me going out for an hour to jumping into the shower for 10 minutes.  he chews and he poops. i am at my ends wit. i dont know what to think or do.  so if you have seen this in your puppy or  have any suggestions---i GLADLY take them. otherwise, he is a good dog and has the potential to be a fantastic family dog.  we do love him so much.
thanks,
SERINA

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: A new behavior we havent really seen
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 05:21:43 pm »
Hello!!!  Welcome to BPO.  I'm sure you'll find that this is one of the best places to go if you have questions on your pup, or want to brag, or well whatever.  I'm still new myself, and everyone on here has been so helpfull with everything I throw at them.  it really is a great place.  My name is Alex, My pups are Naja a 5 month old Great Pyrenees, and Moo a 6 month old Cairn Terrier.  I can't wait to hear more about your boy, and see LOTS of picture!
As to your little problem with him, have you tried Crate training him?  If not it would be something to consider, I do it with both dogs and it has been a life saver.  I think everyone here can endorse it. 
Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 07:47:17 pm by London_Pyr_Lover »
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 06:36:41 pm »
i can totally relate!  axle does this, and he 's about 140lb-ish now so i know how un-fun this is.  i can't even check my mail without coming inside to find something destroyed.  we have to "dog proof" the house (which takes about 30 minutes) every time we leave for ANYTHING.  i've found with axle if we take him outside and play for about 30 minutes he's good and tired and sleeps the whole time i'm gone.  i'll also put out dog toys, and make sure there is nothing he can get into, etc.  i've learned not to shut him in one room b/c he will eat the base boards, etc.  lavender scented things help him a TON.  they also have that calming stuff you plug into the walls for dogs.  you said your pup is 9 months old, could it just be the "terrible two's" just in dog version?  most all dogs go through it at about that age, maybe a little older.  hold on, it's just a phase!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 09:53:41 pm »
ha ha ha perfect example!  i LOVE those pics!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline mattserinadiego

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 04:46:08 pm »
thank you all for your advice. i think it is definitely time to try the crate training. also, i appreciated the photos of sophie. my goodness! for some reason i get in my head that diego is the only dog who acts this way.  a  good reminder that this is not the case...if you dont mind- how should i go about the crate training?? does your dog use it at night?? one other question- how do you handle it when your dog nips? diego is 9  months and its starting  to become stronger and harder. he only does it when he is either overexcited or not getting his way. i dont want him to hurt anyone. dont get me wrong- he is a love. but the few moments in between get me nervous. if i ask a lot of questions its because this is my first dog and sometimes i feel clueless.

thanks again.
and i;ll post some photos soon=)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 06:54:22 pm »
Another thing you could try with crate traning is put the crate in your bed room (if you can handle the barking and whining for the first few nights).  Naja doesn't like to be alone all that much, even at night, so sleeping in my room where it smells like me (even when I'm working nights) helps her sleep through the night.  I also cover her crate at night, and have a fan going to help drown out household noises, which also helps keep her cool.
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline mattserinadiego

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 12:37:18 am »
i was going to give diego one more day before trying the crate training- guess what he didnt make a single mess or destroy anything during the night or while i went out.
do you think it could have been related to the surgery and was behaving slightly different when recuperating? i dont know. we'll see how tomorrow goes. i also have been trying to make more of an effort in doggy proofing the house, keeping him balanced with excerise, and giving him his chew toys. i think this has made a difference!

we live down the street from a park that has public access to the ocean. diego has been in heaven. he is going to miss these summer days. so will i.