Author Topic: He HAD to go out sooo bad  (Read 8158 times)

mama23+pyrs2

He HAD to go out sooo bad
« on: September 05, 2007, 06:25:05 pm »
suuuuuuuuuuure ;) Here he is doing his new thing. Notice his terrible limp still. :'(

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v497/deadstar7/?action=view&current=yukon_barking_outside.flv

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: He HAD to go out sooo bad
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 06:37:58 pm »
Well.  At least you know the Coyotes are gonna be too scared to come to your house!   ;)
Hope that limp goes away soon though.   :-\
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 06:46:02 pm »
Is it one of his front legs??

Ask your vet about OCD. I'm not trying to scare you, but he's walking an awful lot like Bava did before we did the surgery on him for OCD.

Well he was x-rayed and nothing showed up wrong. It's his right front shoulder, yeah. :-\ The vet told me it was a soft tissue injury. I just have NO clue why it's not improving. I'm really starting to get freaked out. I was so relieved to hear that it was nothing major a couple weeks ago. I just assumed I'd see some improvement by now with so much rest.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 06:56:05 pm »
Ya know I start second guessing the Dr.'s opinion as soon we as we got home that day, just how my mind works with regards to Dr.s I guess. But I kept thinking it was possible (of course) that she missed something, not specializing in orthopedics, and misdiagnosed him. I'd be devestated if that is the case and here it is going on 5 weeks since the limp started. Think I need a second opinion? Another vet? (he's only seen this vet the one time) I don't know. If I decided to see a new vet, can I get those films from them or will we need to do new ones?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 06:57:01 pm by mama2many »

Icerotti

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 07:17:00 pm »
Poor baby, that leg is still bothering him. I hope you find out what it is soon . A second opinion may be a good idea.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 07:20:46 pm »
If you find an ortho vet, they'll take their own x-rays. Caution, it's not fun. I cried and had to leave when they were x-raying Bava.

What is not fun? What is the crazy part about x-raying?
Sorry, I didn't have to deal with it ones  ???
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 07:21:12 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 07:20:52 pm »
If you find an ortho vet, they'll take their own x-rays. Caution, it's not fun. I cried and had to leave when they were x-raying Bava.

I'd definitely try to get another appointment for him with someone who specializes in orthopedics just to be "safe". He'll know what OCD is and will manipulate his leg and be able to tell where in his leg it is and more specifically WHAT it is.

Okay thanks for your info. I just called hubby and he's going to call the vet in about an hour from work and let them know that we are not happy with the outcome of that visit. We'd like him to be seen again (without being charged!), we both agree it just doesn't seem right he is this bad after being in stuck in his crate for a month, doing what they told us to do..he doesn't get to play, nothing, and he's not getting better. We paid them $200 to tell us he would heal on his own. I hope we can figure this all out soon.

Icerotti

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 07:24:32 pm »
We had to deal with an ortho vet once. Our little rotti boy Hogan had HD. The one we went to was very well known and had quit a wait list too. So it may be something you want to do sooner than later.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 07:26:45 pm »

I'd definitely try to get another appointment for him with someone who specializes in orthopedics just to be "safe". He'll know what OCD is and will manipulate his leg and be able to tell where in his leg it is and more specifically WHAT it is.

Okay thanks for your info. I just called hubby and he's going to call the vet in about an hour from work and let them know that we are not happy with the outcome of that visit. We'd like him to be seen again (without being charged!), we both agree it just doesn't seem right he is this bad after being in stuck in his crate for a month, doing what they told us to do..he doesn't get to play, nothing, and he's not getting better. We paid them $200 to tell us he would heal on his own. I hope we can figure this all out soon.

That would be the right thing to do (if your vet has any kind of morals)

I know mine doesn't...We went to do a blood work the other day and I was forced to have "an appointment" ($35 in addition to the lab work). Well, the Dr. didn't even bother to look at the file and they drew Lily's blood for wrong test SO they had to draw in AGAIN!!! I was so angry and Lily was really sad  >:(
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline mamadoglewis

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 07:36:09 pm »
We have two Pyr boys and one of them had the same issue. He limped for several weeks and our regular vet could not find anything wrong. We finally got them to refer us to the vet school at our NC State University and they were wonderful. They did more x-rays and a CAT scan and found a chunk of bone in his left elbow. We did arthroscopic surgery and removed the bone chip. He also stayed on antibiotics for 4 weeks to get rid of the infection that it had caused. He is now much better but still has some problems with his leg as he has arthritis in it due to the injury. Hope this helps.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 09:11:33 pm »
I'm glad that you are looking for a second opinion.  Ortho vets are well worth the time/money.  A regular vet has to be trained for all of the different species (cats, dog, rabbits, ferrets, hamsters...you get the idea) as well as specific illnesses, so they just can't be as familiar with orthopedic issues as an ortho vet is.  I sure hope that you can get some real answers soon.  I feel so badly for both you and Yukon.   :(
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 01:09:14 am »
Well the Dr. called him back this afternoon. Hubby is going to drop him off in the morning on his way to work. She said they wanted to get a better look at him, whatever that means. He's gonna request the Ortho Vet there looks at him when he leaves him there. Then he'll pick him up on his way home. :( I'll update when I hear anything and hopefully we will hear SOMEthing leading us to the problem anyway.

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 03:13:33 am »
Poor Yukon... Tugs is sending happy thoughts his way...keep us updated...
Also how much does he weigh now? I need to have the Tugs weighed again, but he is getting big, he is already taller than the girls, just not as filled out yet.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 03:24:00 am »
Poor Yukon... Tugs is sending happy thoughts his way...keep us updated...
Also how much does he weigh now? I need to have the Tugs weighed again, but he is getting big, he is already taller than the girls, just not as filled out yet.

Yukon is too light in my opinion, which bothers me- 2 weeks ago at the vet he weighed 61 lbs. When we weighed him here a couple weeks before that he was 70ish.. but he hadn't been eating remember so it seems he dropped almost 10 lbs. Yiska weighed the same as him, in the 70's and she hasn't stopped eating at all so I'm quite sure she weighs more. Like Tug, Yukon is very tall and much taller than his sister..he just LOOKS like he should weigh more than 60 lbs and he's very bulky, though that video isn't great and it's hard to see. I know I can feel his bones more easily than I used to. He never got lanky and thin- unless that's yet to come.

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 03:35:31 am »
I am going to try and watch the video on my husbands lap top- being out here in the country, I can only get dial up, he has a wireless card. Tug was like 64 pounds at 7 months, but has recently started a new growth spurt. His dad was 120 pounds and I would be thrilled to death for him to get that big. Tomorrow Tuggles turns 9 months old. He is such a big baby though, he still insists on hold me time everynite. This involves me hauling him up in my lap and holding him in the recliner. This is how I can tell he is going thru a growth spurt, it is getting way hard to pick him up. I feel so bad for Yukon. Probably not a good idea to get weight on him with the problem on his leg as the added weight could hurt him, but once you guys are past that, I bet that he will put on some weight. Also all of my girls are mostly short and wide with the exception of Bella.