Author Topic: "Jack Attack!"  (Read 7617 times)

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
Re: "Jack Attack!"
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 05:38:54 pm »
His mom weighed about 110 and his dad was just over 2 years old and still filling out, but he weighed around 125.  His mother's father weighed 160 lbs and was NOT fat... he was just BIG.  So we're thinking Jack will be around 130 - 140bs when he's full grown.
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 05:48:45 pm »
His mom weighed about 110 and his dad was just over 2 years old and still filling out, but he weighed around 125.  His mother's father weighed 160 lbs and was NOT fat... he was just BIG.  So we're thinking Jack will be around 130 - 140bs when he's full grown.

Yeah, I'd say so! Yukons mom was about 100 and his dad was close to 3, the breeder thought he probably wouldn't gain anymore and about 120. I have no idea about his grandparents though. I just wish Yukon seemed to be growing still, it's like he just hit a point and stopped. How is Jacks appeptite? How much does he eat? My dogs just seem like they could care less about food, they could take it or leave it. Yiska (his sister) was eating better than him for awhile but she's back to not finishing her bowl either.  They eat between 1/2 cup and a cup at a meal..this morning they each left half of their food (Yukon left more) and haven't touched it. Guess they won't starve themselves. Just seems like 8 month old puppies would eat more.

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 09:16:14 pm »
OHMIGOD, i Think that last picture is the BEST picture I have ever seen.. and the Cutest!!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2007, 10:38:38 pm »

Yeah, I'd say so! Yukons mom was about 100 and his dad was close to 3, the breeder thought he probably wouldn't gain anymore and about 120. I have no idea about his grandparents though. I just wish Yukon seemed to be growing still, it's like he just hit a point and stopped. How is Jacks appeptite? How much does he eat? My dogs just seem like they could care less about food, they could take it or leave it. Yiska (his sister) was eating better than him for awhile but she's back to not finishing her bowl either.  They eat between 1/2 cup and a cup at a meal..this morning they each left half of their food (Yukon left more) and haven't touched it. Guess they won't starve themselves. Just seems like 8 month old puppies would eat more.

Jack thinks he's starving all the time.  He eats 4 cups a day (2 in the am, 2 at night) and spends 10 minutes after each meal walking around looking for more food.  We also give him a kong at lunch time with some more of his dry food and some smashed up banana in it and we have a couple of treat balls that we put a handful of food in a couple times per day and they have to roll them around the house to get the food out.  We walk about 2 miles twice a day though, so they burn a lot of calories and we feed them about 30 minutes after we walk so their appetites are peaked from the workout.

According to the bag we should be feeding him closer to 5 to 6 cups a day, but I just feed based on their weight, and I'd rather keep him on the thin side, than have him get too "round", especially since his joints are already questionable.  Greta eats the same amount and you can still just see her ribs, which is ideal.  She went up to about 5 cups a day but then we took the amount back down because she was getting a little "thick".
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2007, 10:55:57 pm »

Jack thinks he's starving all the time.  He eats 4 cups a day (2 in the am, 2 at night) and spends 10 minutes after each meal walking around looking for more food.  We also give him a kong at lunch time with some more of his dry food and some smashed up banana in it and we have a couple of treat balls that we put a handful of food in a couple times per day and they have to roll them around the house to get the food out.  We walk about 2 miles twice a day though, so they burn a lot of calories and we feed them about 30 minutes after we walk so their appetites are peaked from the workout.

According to the bag we should be feeding him closer to 5 to 6 cups a day, but I just feed based on their weight, and I'd rather keep him on the thin side, than have him get too "round", especially since his joints are already questionable.  Greta eats the same amount and you can still just see her ribs, which is ideal.  She went up to about 5 cups a day but then we took the amount back down because she was getting a little "thick".

Wow, that's a long walk! I guess that is one way to get mine to want to eat lol. The most Yukon's ever eaten was 2 1/2 cups twice a day and it didn't last long that he ate that much, just a phase. If I put their food in a treat ball, they would surely look at me like I was an idiot and wonder where the treat was. ::) They don't like food THAT much, but of course will always eat treats or eat their whole bowl if I add something special to it.

Mine would NEVER last on that long of a walk. Around the block, they have slowed their pace down and need some encouragment just to get back home. By the time we do, they are dead weight.  :P