Author Topic: Bones, Bad or Good. Rib bones, Steak Bones, I know no Chicken bones.  (Read 3333 times)

Offline SirdanceAlot

• Ankle Biter
  • Im to sexy for this floor.
    • View Profile
Is it good to give your dog left over bones.  Say you have a BBQ and you have ribs and steaks, are they able to eat those bones.  I hear bones are not good for your dog but ive seen bones for sell at the pet store.  I mean they even sell a HUUUUUGE bone i mean its monsterous, like a mammoth bone.  Well i was just wondering.  I had some Ribs last night.  (hehe and they were off the chain  ;D )  and spazz was being good yesterday.  I wanted to give him one of my bones.  I know he would love it.  What are some of your views on Bones?

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
Re: Bones, Bad or Good. Rib bones, Steak Bones, I know no Chicken bones.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 01:00:45 am »

Ditto Holly.

Cooked bones, especially beef bones which are much heavier and denser, are not wise to feed.  I feed raw bones to my dogs and they are proficient at eating them as a result. And with that said, I hold a steak bone and make them rip and tear meat scraps from the bone and do not let them have the bone itself.

As a matter of fact, raw beef bones are not optimal to feed - again due to density and weight. They can still shard and are sharp when they break. I feed beef ribs and when they get the bones clean, and gnaw a little bones off the ends, I take them away. Just something to consider.
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 08:29:05 pm »
My advice regarding feeding bones of any kind is to first price the cost at your Vet. and the closest emergency Vet. for the surgery needed to repair a perforated intestine  Save 150% of the highest estimate and put it in the bank in an account you can get to quickly.  Also, get familiar with the symptoms of blocked as well as perforated intestines. 

Some dogs do OK with raw meaty bones but I personally have never met one.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 05:29:16 am »
I personally do not give Rosie any beef, pork, or chicken bones, raw or cooked. Although raw bones do not shard as easily as cooked ones, you still never know what your dog is capable of. And risking having an intestinal tear or obstruction is just not worth it. We stick to [non-appetizing] plain rawhides.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 11:31:10 pm »

Why do you believe rawhides are safer than bones?
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar