Author Topic: First of two questions: umbilical hernia?  (Read 9696 times)

Offline SadieA

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
First of two questions: umbilical hernia?
« on: September 16, 2007, 06:26:26 pm »
Uhoh, I have self-diagnosed Sammy, who is ten weeks old, with an umbilical hernia. I was playing with his feet while he rested, and noticed a little lump on his belly- not even as big in diameter as a dime, and soft, under the skin. It's not discolored or anything, and a little research has me thinking it's a hernia. As far as I know, this is its first appearance, but I'm reading that can happen as the pup gains weight.

So, do you think I'm right? I put him on his back and massaged the bump some, and it mostly went away- I think whatever fluid  had gotten out went back in. But should I have it repaired at this point, or wait to see what happens? The vet didn't notice this when we were in before, and I think it's a new development. It's definitely a soft bump, not hard or scar tissue-y at all, so does that mean it needs to be fixed before it gets worse?

Thanks!

lins_saving_grace

Re: First of two questions: umbilical hernia?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 06:34:49 pm »
Grace has one of those umbilical hernias.  i forgot to tell the vet to stitch it up when they fixed her and the vet said she didn't even notice it when they were in there.  She now has an "outtie"!   as long as you can't get your finger in there and it's not open you're fine.  have it checked out with the vet too and when he gets fixed you can have them stitch it up.

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 04:53:33 pm »
I would not worry much just keep an eye on it - as far as you are able to push it back, and it is not hard and stack there, there are no danger. Usually it is treated as a birth deffect - one says that it is genetically, others - that bich cheved the cord too short. All this usually disssapears when pup is reaching 7-9 months or even when it is out of thet puppy plumpiness and muscles strenghten. Some do not reccomend to breed dogs with such genetic issue, but most of the breeders do as it is really such a minor problem, and if it will be a high quality winner by other parametres, he could be even bred. If you are planning to spay/neuter the pup - just ask your vet to check it out and  fix if nesessity. But do not worry!
http://ozolkalni.blogspot.com/
Come and pat Grace athttp://en.uniteddogs.com/dog/16498

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 11:55:53 am »
I think Miles has one of those. It is SO small though. A little bit smaller than the diameter of a q-tip. It doesn't seem to be a problem. I'm taking Miles to the vet today though, so I'll ask about it and see what she says!
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 05:15:33 pm »

It depends on the type of hernia and the size. Many hernias resolve by 6 months of age, and others gradually become quite serious so it is something that should always be carefully checked out by a vet and watched in case it grows, changes, or causes discomfort.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1571&articleid=442

I had one puppy with one and the breeder corrected it surgically at 8 weeks before coming home with me.
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline Mainebernese

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 08:55:23 pm »
I noticed my bernese puppy's umbilical hernia pretty much exactly how you did.  The vet missed it the first time he went in, but checked everything out the next time.  He said that it can be corrected when he is neutered if it still exists.  Did you end up having this done? 
Kaitlen

Cooper ~ 1 year old Bernese Mountain Dog
Coda (aka ruler of the household) ~ 5 year old, chubby grumpy, male cat
Ava (sister to the ruler) ~ 5 year old petite angel, female cat

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 09:25:18 pm »
Zero has one. we didnt have it fixed durring his neuter. there was too much going on durring then and we can't knock him back under because hes allergic to anisthetic
his is just a "raised scared belly button" I call it. hes 3 (almost 4-wow) and it hasnt bothered him one bit.  ;)
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline Olliesmum

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 01:54:21 pm »
Ollie has one too,now 19 months old.
His wasn't corrected at neutering and the Vet wasn't unduly worried as it is quite soft and can be pushed in,he said he would only consider surgery if it was to bother him at any point in his life.

Offline SadieA

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 04:37:08 pm »
Sorry, I missed this question before! Sammy's seems to have completely gone away now, on its own. He hasn't been neutered yet, and I likely won't do that until he's a year old or so, as a couple vets have made that same recommendation to me. He's not (yet) acting aggressive or in any way like he needs to be neutered, so I'm in no rush!

I noticed my bernese puppy's umbilical hernia pretty much exactly how you did.  The vet missed it the first time he went in, but checked everything out the next time.  He said that it can be corrected when he is neutered if it still exists.  Did you end up having this done?