Author Topic: Need help with food :(  (Read 6575 times)

Offline Marla

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Need help with food :(
« on: January 31, 2008, 11:16:35 pm »
Hi everyone, I am new to the boards.

I have a 7 month old Bernese Mountain Dog (Chelsea).  I am having an issue with her tummy and her food.   :(

When we initially got her from the breeder, she was an a lamb based holisitic dog food.
When I took her to the vet for her initial check, he suggested "p/d canine" (vet food) - which was chicken based.  Had some issues with loose bowels, and someone recommended "nutro-natural choice - chicken" tried that.  Again some "gas" and soft stools.  Was suggested to switch to "Blue Buffalo" (holistic and chicken based).  After she got spayed recently, had her on the vet food again, but stools still softer than normal.

I am so fed up and don't know what to do. Last week I swtiched her back to the food that the breeder had recommended "Performatrim Plus - lamb" .  She seems to be doing pretty good with it - not as much gas, stools are still a little soft.

The vet called yesterday to see how she was doing after her spay surgery (follow up call). He told me to ensure she was on a large breed formula.  Just checked the bag - it's not!

Help-----what should I be feeding her....lamb?  chicken?  which food?  suggestions please   ???

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with food :(
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 11:59:09 pm »
I went throught he same stuff with mY Pyr sometime back.

First of all more times then most its not themeat upsetting there stomaches,they are meat eaters..its the Wheat,Corn,Gluten and so forth that upsets some dogs stomaches.You can by the meat foods without these ingredients in them.

coudl you list what food and or ingredients and i can try and help you.

I have done tons of research and reading and consulting with vets about Dog Nutrition.I have learned alot being my dog has a sensitive stomach as well.
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 12:07:53 am »
My Pyr does very well on Innova Large Breed formula. When I switched her to this food it took about a week or two for her body to completely adjust and for her stools to normalize.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 01:18:33 am »
IMO Vets are the last people to ask suggestion on foods.
I would rather listen to the breeder than a Vet. Breeders have raised plenty of dogs and keep in touch with puppy owners to insure healthy and happy puppy (well, good ones ;))
I think that Pet Food Industry is full of crap. Poor people are so confused with good foods, bad foods, vet foods, large dog/small bites.
Just feed your dog good quality food that she is going well on.
Just make sure that puppy is lean and active and not growing too fast  :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 01:26:15 am by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 01:29:46 am »
I agree with the vets are the last one to ask(some of them),but there are some that are up on Nutrition,mine is not,I had to call some listed and reccomended on the Internet by Pyr breeders.
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline Marla

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 03:14:30 am »
I am glad to know that I am not alone with my frustration with the advice being given so far.

Does it matter that it doesn't say large breed on it?

I will post the ingredients as soon as I get home

Thanks for your advice

Lyn

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 06:00:57 am »
I have had same issue with Bubba from the time we got him at 9 weeks old. He has a super sensitive tummy. If he was fed anything he wasn't suppose to have he would have poop ranging from projectile to cow patties. With or without a lovely bout of Colitis.  :'( Eventually as he matured some of his digestive issues seemed to get better on their own. He can now eat things I would never have given him before because they caused booty blowout.

For the longest time though we had great luck with a fish based food that contained no chicken. It was Eagle Pack Holistic Salmon, Sardine and Anchovy. Fish is supposedly easily digested.. maybe give that a try?

Both my Saints as pups were put directly onto adult food. I never bothered with large breed puppy foods.

Offline SadieA

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 09:02:06 am »
As for a single-protein source food, I've got Sammy on the Canidae Lamb and Rice. I'm going to switch him over to the Canidae all life stages with multiple protein sources after this bag, but the lamb and rice sounds like it might work well for you. Sammy loves it. A lot. I wonder if your berner is the same as him, scarfing down food like there might never be food again?? I'm hoping he'll grow out of the food craziness.