Author Topic: Heavy Panting  (Read 38773 times)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy Panting
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2007, 01:37:04 am »
Wow, we could never keep our house 68 degrees here! We'd never be able to afford that power bill lol..not to mention we'd freeze! Ours has been running 75-76 and they adjust. They never lay on anything but the tile floors if they want to sleep, but they've always done that. Even in the winter time which isn't terrible in FL obviously but on chilly days, still on the tile. They've only laid on the carpet to chew bones haha.

Wait until they grow full coats!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2007, 01:52:34 am »
Wow, we could never keep our house 68 degrees here! We'd never be able to afford that power bill lol..not to mention we'd freeze! Ours has been running 75-76 and they adjust. They never lay on anything but the tile floors if they want to sleep, but they've always done that. Even in the winter time which isn't terrible in FL obviously but on chilly days, still on the tile. They've only laid on the carpet to chew bones haha.

Wait until they grow full coats!

Yeah, I'm REALLY not looking forward to it. ;) Then they won't want to even go outside to potty! Yukon will have a much thicker coat seeing as he's male, and he already has a lot more than her. Ugh.

Icerotti

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2007, 02:21:24 am »
Puck our rotti is a heavy panter...I think we could keep our house at 60 degrees and he would be happy but we freeze. He keeps cool by laying on the tiles. He use to use the coolaroo bed until Farley peed on it ..now he won't use it . It lets the air circulate underneath them and it can be used inside or out.

It was cheap like under $30 here in Canada at Petsmart.

It looks like this.

http://www.outdoordecor.com/product_detail.asp?item=XPB10002:Birds-And-Pets:Pet-Items:Coolaroo-Pet-Beds

Furminating Puck really helps too.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 02:23:10 am by Icerotti »

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007, 04:37:43 am »
Hmmmm, I see that and it won't let me copy & paste a photo from that web site, so let's try this link:

http://www.copperboppers.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16276&cat=313&page=1

The two rows have the teeth staggered, so it does a really good job.  I also like the rotating teeth, they do seem to be gentler on our dogs.

I bought the above rake yesterday and oh boy we got some hair out!!! I didn't realized she had so much undercoat left  ??? Thank you so much for recommending it!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007, 04:58:15 am »
Harley my Lab is a heavy panter. I spray her belly down with cold water and that keeps her cool. Also there are some cooling mats that you can get.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2007, 05:09:46 am »
Hmmmm, I see that and it won't let me copy & paste a photo from that web site, so let's try this link:

The two rows have the teeth staggered, so it does a really good job.  I also like the rotating teeth, they do seem to be gentler on our dogs.

I bought the above rake yesterday and oh boy we got some hair out!!! I didn't realized she had so much undercoat left  ??? Thank you so much for recommending it!

You're very welcome!  I'm really glad that you like it, too.  ;D  We just lucked upon it one day and it's become such a staple here that I even carry it with me when we go out for the day with the dogs.  If one of them gets into stickers or something, it really helps.  Isn't it amazing how much undercoat they still have left when we think that we've gotten it all?  :o  With our 3 double-coated dogs it becomes a big project for us here, too.  I saw Lily's pics this morning (I'm just slow today on responding) and she looks absolutely gorgeous!!   :-*

Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline bernermom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2007, 02:16:59 am »
I would discourage anyone from shaving a double coated dog.
I'm a groomer and their coat usually grows in thicker, patchy, softer[the coat will change it's texture].
Find a u-bath and use their dryer and blow all the coat out. It will be amazing. ;)

Offline SadieA

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2007, 11:48:01 am »
everything I have read has stressed that it is NOT a good idea to shave your dog. This article is specifically about goldens, but I'm sure it applies to others as well... The article is from Golden Retriever rescue of mid-Florida. http://www.grrmf.org/care/grooming.html.

Thinking About Shaving Your Golden Retriever?        

In A Word--Don't!

Some people mistakenly believe that shaving or severely clipping their golden is a wonderful way to keep the dog cool and comfortable in warm weather. What they don't realize is that they're actually putting the dog at greater risk of health problems like skin cancer. Here's why:

A golden's coat is made up of two parts -- the long and smooth outercoat and the soft and fuzzy undercoat. These two layers work together to protect the skin from sun, heat, cold and moisture. The fur acts as an insulator BOTH against the heat and cold.

When you shave your golden, you remove all of that natural protection that he or she was born with, thereby exposing the dog to the sun's harmful rays, a risk of overheating in the summer, and more. Because they were bred to retrieve water fowl, the goldens coat also acts as a water repellant and is designed so that dirt and debris brush off easily.

We've also had applicants think that shaving their golden would help protect it against fleas and ticks, would reduce shedding and eliminate hot spots – ALL UNTRUE! The golden will still shed, fleas and ticks are better controlled with a spot-on preventive such as FrontLine, and hot spots can be controlled with a premium diet and supplements. Simply put, there is NO good reason to shave your golden on a regular basis, and you are actually harming your dog if you do so.

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2007, 02:21:24 pm »

I've had that rake since the get go. It's the only thing that really gets rid of the undercoat. I swear by it.

Offline Bernertomboi

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2007, 02:47:45 pm »
This summer we decided to clip Maddax and am glad we did.  We tried brushing, bathing, blowing and he was still so uncomfortable.  The minute he walked outside he ran for the nearest shade.  As soon as we clippered him we saw a drastic change in his mood.  I don't plan on showing him and so far his coat is growing in like it should.  It also helped in the house (we don't have a/c of any kind) his panting also decresed and seemed all around happier.  This worked for us, but may not work for others.

Bernermom I will try the blower next year as well!! Thanks!