Author Topic: The joyous ups and downs of Puppyhood!  (Read 4595 times)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
The joyous ups and downs of Puppyhood!
« on: September 10, 2007, 05:41:36 am »
I love my puppy.  I just want to clarify that.  But let me tell you about our latest development.  Recently (like in the last week) Naja has taken to pooping in my closet.  it's not like I dont' take her out to pee and poop at least every hour or so.  Sometimes she'll poop in my closet not 20 minutes after pooping outside.  Normally she's really good about letting me know that she has to go out, she'll walk right over to the door and look at me, you know the look, it's the "you better let me out before something bad happens" look.  then she'll go out to the deck, sit down while I put her leash on then wait for me to open the door.  But lately, instead of going to the door, she'll head downstairs to my room and leave a stinky in my closet.  I've caught her only once, and that once I said "NO" in a loud authoritative voice, picked her up, and took her outside where I proceeded to give lots and lots of praise before and after she pooped.  But I have found poop in my closet twice now, and when I ask her about it she has no idea where it came from. "Maybe the magical poop fairy left it for you mom?" is what I'm sure she was saying.  I'm trying to keep the basement door closed when I'm not down there, and I've got my family on the look out too.  But she is a sneaky one.  Any tips, suggestions?  I'm thinking if I rip out the carpet it would help with the smell so that it's not a marking of her territory thing.  Do you think that would help? ???
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: The joyous ups and downs of Puppyhood!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 05:58:10 am »
The best thing to do is to feed her and spend quality time there so she doesn't feel that it is an unused area. Give her a favorite bone in there and sit with her while she is eating or bring her favorite toy and play with her in the closet...She will stop it  ;)

We had the same with Lily when she was trying to get in the guest bedroom (the door was always closed) or basement (we block the entrance from her) to poop. So, we opened all the doors and started socialize there more and she stopped trying her nasty attempts  ;D

Good luck :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 08:10:52 am »
I'll try that thanks!  :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 03:29:21 pm »
I keep Phoebe confined to the kitchen/mud room area and she keeps it clean I am down 3 pairs of flip flops though. The past couple of days I have been letting her out into the rest of the house but she seems to like to pee in the carpeted areas I busted her yesterday and she got a very loud NO!!! it must feel like grass to her so back to the confined area she must be watched 100% of the time.  Lastnight we let her in the family room on her blanket and had playtime I kept her on that and she did fine.  Maybe try restricting Najas freedom some. It was'nt until Molly was 6mos before she could be trusted. Good Luck!!
Becky
Phoebe 1-1/2 Yr.Great Pyrenees
MollyGirl No longer with us Pyr/Springer mix