Author Topic: Leptospirosis  (Read 15942 times)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
Re: Leptospirosis
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 02:18:05 pm »
..they would have to get at least 6 sticks with the needle a year!?? That's crazy.

Oops. Four sticks for lepto a year....since all 4 strains are included in one.
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2007, 12:19:20 am »
ask how many cases they have seen in their office! This was my option with Adak as the breeder strong suggest against it, but my vet had already treat 4 cases so Adak got it. Next year I will re-evaluate it before he gets it again. I think due to the vast growth of commercial properties it is becoming more common.

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2007, 06:03:12 pm »
we only do a yearly vaccine for it as well! I have to do bordetella since Adak is in training and goes to daycare, but even with the bordetella they can still get kennel cough, we did this year.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2007, 09:02:53 pm »
Very interesting thread.
I've never vaccinated for it, and it has never been suggested to me before to vaccinate for it.  Not when living in SD, Ca, or MN.  Will find out I guess when we get to IL whether they recommend it there or not.  I have never considered having it done before since apparently it's never been prevelent where I've lived.

I take my dogs to the park regularly, and my parents (where I am currently residing) live out in the country, although not around livestock.

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2007, 04:59:56 am »
Our Vet does not suggest it for small dogs, but they have it available since this is a military town and the dogs they see could go anywhere.  The local feed store has some in stock and it was on sale since it wasn't selling. 

This is the desert, and while we do have livestock and rodents, most of the livestock is ours (the goat) and kept at our house down the block.  Most of the rodents hibernate in the winter or live in burrows they can get into before my dogs can catch them.

A nice lady who works at the Vets said that if we wanted to give the shots with lepto to any of the big dogs, to bring the dog to their parking lot and do it there, just in case.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua