Author Topic: We rescued another saint  (Read 6805 times)

Offline Thelma

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
We rescued another saint
« on: September 25, 2007, 05:14:26 pm »
Hi all...  last weekend we rescued another saint....he had been tied out around a tree for the last 2 months...I don't know what his situation was before that but I know that the owner said she didn't have any luck house training him so she made him an outside dog! UGH!
Any way he is 5 years old....seems to be loving but very afraid.  We have 2 other saints and he is afraid of them. Its only been 5 days...I know it will take time....
My question is.....In our home...he will be an inside dog..is it possible to house train a 5 year old?  Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.  He has had a couple of accidents...I take him out when he will let me....He won't come to us yet when we call him...I'm thinking there was no interaction with him at all before.
We have a doggy door so I was hoping that he would follow the other dogs out but like I said he seems afraid of them...he won't go where they go.....we do walk them all together though..... anyway.....  any help?
~Thelma & Karl~
~Duke~Zoe~Toby~Spencer

~Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body..but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out ....shouting.. . WOW!
What a Ride!!!~

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: We rescued another saint
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 06:32:49 pm »
i'm a firm believer any dog can learn anything (physically possible) if it's shown enough love  :)  what a great person you are for taking the baby in!  one thing might be to take him for walks with your babies.  that way they learn to interact and that it's "safe" to be around each other.  it'll help everyone bond, too, but in a more relaxed environment.  bribery will help, as far as his uncertainty with you, also.  training is an idea for bonding, too, as long as he isn't scared of you and can be bribed with a reward for doing good.  i'm sure once he learns he's safe and has learned that he's well loved he'll pick up potty training in a snap!  if he won't come to you, one thing might be to do your routine as normal (like "come on guys, time to potty") but keep the new pupper on a leash.  when you say that, just pick up the leash and walk him out, don't make a big ordeal out of it.  then do the same for your coming in routine.  that way he just learns that it's expected of him, and that it's not a big deal.  anywho, good luck and keep us updated!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 08:45:53 pm »
Congratulation s and thank you. What an un-selfish act of kindness to take him in knowing that there was going to be a big adjustment period. Annie is the Dane that I rescued who had been abused and she is still skittish. The crate is a good idea. Also I am a firm believer in one on one time, even if it is you in the room with him on opposite sides of the room. Once he starts building up the trust, then ear scratching and belly rubs. I think that he can be house trained- it will be another one of those time issues, but he is probably just confused right now and seriously doesnt have a clue about right and wrong. I have also noticed that most dogs will respond faster to positive affection than any other form of interaction so maybe that will help. If he will let you- give him a hug from all of us at BPO and of course we are going to start needing pics.

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 12:03:14 am »
I agree with the crate training and the one on one time - especially for a pup with your new rescue's issues. The crate training will help him feel secure and learn the basics of not pottying where you sleep. And, the one on one time will help him learn to trust and love you without being worried about or intimidated by your other pups. Good for you! Not to take anything away from your other dogs, who are no doubt perfect  ;D, but I'll betcha this rescue will pay off in spades! This guy will probably end up being a really great (and grateful) guy!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline Thelma

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
UPDATE:::::: We rescued another saint
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 11:02:23 am »
I am very happy to say that Toby is beginning to play with our other saints .  They are getting along.  He is even using the doggy door and peeing in the yard.....He sleeps beside our bed with the others.

I'm gonna try to attach a pic.  thanks for all of your comments.
~Thelma & Karl~
~Duke~Zoe~Toby~Spencer

~Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body..but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out ....shouting.. . WOW!
What a Ride!!!~

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 11:07:50 am »
What a looker!!! I am glad to hear that he is adjusting so well  ;D
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 11:40:17 am »
AAAwww glad to hear things are getting better for him. WOW what a handsome guy and I LOVE his speckled nose.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 06:06:49 pm »
Me too, me too!  I adore his handsome freckly nose.  :-*  I'm so glad that he's doing well and that he's happy & loved now.  Great job!!!!   ;D  ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 06:16:28 pm »
He is beutiful and it will not take long to completely adjust! You are so blessed to be able to give him a HOME and he will definitely pay it back wit that special devotion that only saints can give! Good luck to all your pack!
http://ozolkalni.blogspot.com/
Come and pat Grace athttp://en.uniteddogs.com/dog/16498

Offline Mallory's Mommy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 03:08:38 am »
      It’s so wonderful that he found a family with you! My parents rescued a Saint Bernard long before I was born. Apparently he had been tied in a field and left there, even during thunderstorms. He was home alone once when a thunderstorm came up and he tried to chew through our house’s wooden door. They went through some rough times with him but it all was worth it. My mother was just talking about him this afternoon and telling me what a sweet, amazing dog he was. I am sure your boy will adjust fine with a lot of tender loving care.

~ Mary
Mary, mommy to Mallory, the Saint Bernard pup