Author Topic: what to do about lonliness barking?  (Read 1934 times)

Offline SadieA

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
what to do about lonliness barking?
« on: October 03, 2007, 04:40:15 am »
I am having a problem- I'm home all day with Sammy, and he's used to that, but sometimes I have to go out to places he can't come, like to the grocery store, for example. In his crate at night, he's quiet, but when I crate him during the day so I can run errands, he cries and barks. Downstairs from us there is an office, so there are people there during the day and I know they can hear him making noise while I'm out. I don't want to cause problems- any suggestions for what I can do with him when I have to go out, and how to adapt him to being by himself quietly?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 05:31:48 am by SadieA »

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: what to do about lonliness barking?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 06:22:40 am »
Sammy is a lucky little guy to have you home with him all day.  :-*  I'd try leaving him in his crate each day for a little bit while you are at home, so that he can get used to it during the day.  Then I'd try crating him in another room (away from you) also for a little while so that he gets used to being crated during the day when he can't see or hear you nearby.  Finally, when you do leave him alone, you might want to leave the radio or TV on to keep him company.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline SadieA

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: what to do about lonliness barking?
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 06:38:16 am »
I've got him in there right now, chewing on his puppy kong with peanut butter, and he seems happy enough for the moment! Maybe he's learning... Thanks for the idea!