Author Topic: Yukon  (Read 3787 times)

mama23+pyrs2

Yukon
« on: October 06, 2007, 01:32:24 am »
Just a couple pics I took tonight. He's not doing too well these days and I've been super busy with too many things to keep track of so I have really nothing positive to report, and have been away. But I thought a couple of these were cute and wanted to share. The first one was to show how thin he's gotten..if you can tell. Otherwise with all the hair, he can fool you. He's really not eating at all anymore and his Pano looks to be affecting 2 different legs now so he walks terribly and hunches over. We will get through it! Can't wait til it's all over. :-\

Anyway...here's the big teddy..sweet as ever of course.

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
Re: Yukon
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 02:17:50 am »
oh poor baby!

how cute though!  good pix!  i hope you all get through it soon!!!!!
NICKI

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 05:41:48 am »
Uh oh, yes I can see that he's gotten thinner.  Has he completely stopped eating, or is he eating a little?  If he's not eating at all, I think that I'd call the ortho vet ASAP.   :(  Poor, poor Yukon, I sure hope that the pano is gone really soon.  In the meantime, there are some things that might help tempt him to eat.  I know that you've tried using canned food as a gravy, but he had some trouble with diarrhea.  Have you tried:

-a small amount of a different kind of canned food mixed with warm water?  To tempt poor appetites here I use the canned Natural Balance Duck & Potato (easy on the stomach) and our 3 dogs really love it.  I usually use 1/4-1/2 can mixed with water mixed with about 2 cups of dry and mine go wild for it.
-a little cottage cheese mixed with the dry?
-parmesean cheese sprinkled over the dry?  I heard this one from Pyr Rescue
-a little grated cheese?
-maybe some fish oils?  I don't know anything about them personally, but I know that some people have said that their dogs love the taste and they are very nutritious.
-different meats mixed with the dry (sorry, no specific ideas here since we humans here are vegetarian..ou r poor doggies!  ;D)

I know that the dairy products are sometimes pretty iffy for dogs with sensitive stomachs, so the cheesy ideas may not work, but I know that even Daisy can handle the duck & potato canned and she has IBD.  Also, we've used it here to help the Sam gain weight and it worked pretty fast for him.  I'm sure that other people will  have more ideas for you, too. 

BTW, I'll get to get to my e-mail tomorrow.  We've been inundated here with birthdays the last week, so I'm a little behind.  Sorry!

« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 05:43:17 am by GoldenPyrs »
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 12:47:32 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions, I will try something new. He WILL eat if something is mixed in his food..but after the blow out incident, I just got him back to dry until his system recovered. Before, I tried some shredded cheese, just a little mixed in so he'd end up eating most the dry just to get the cheese. He will eat treats, or anything that isn't dog food that you give him..chicken nuggets or pizza crust or anything really. But he has stopped eating his dry food completely at this point, yes. Yiska is almost as bad as he is but will still eat a little anyway..I don't know how being in heat affects the girls' appetites? Before this, she was eating better too.

I think for Yukon there are many factors involved. His slowing of growth, then the Pano, lack of activity and now the fact Yiska is in heat. I think he's got a lot of strikes against him. But yeah, I'm desperate to get to him to eat normally at this point..but I realize 'normal' won't come for awhile. Perhaps I will try some real meat, or do the chicken and rice or something instead because I'm pretty positive he wouldn't turn that down.

Unfortunately we don't have anyone that could keep him, no. :( We don't know anyone here really and even the people we do know, wouldn't be able to take him on.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 10:54:27 am »
Poor little guy  :'( I can't believe how thin he is

If he is eating foods other than kibble it's a good sign. Rice & chicken or hamburger and rice coiuld be great at this point.
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 12:37:15 pm »
yeah, i'm gonna try something like that. should he eat that alone or should i mix it with his dry food? or would that throw off the ratio in the dry food? if i feed it alone, would it be lacking all the proper things he needs, or is it just enough to get him to EAT at this point? have you guys heard of satin balls? i have that recipe and was thinking of making that for him..i'm sure he'd love it and it's supposed to put weight on pretty quickly.

Ingredients
      10 pounds hamburger meat [the cheapest kind]
      1 lg. box of Total cereal
      1 lg. box oatmeal
      1 jar of wheat germ
      1 1/4 cup veg oil
      1 1/4 cup of unsulfured molasses
      10 raw eggs AND shells
      10 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
      pinch of salt

Mix all ingredients together, much like you would a meatloaf.

Divide into 10 quart freezer bags and freeze.

Thaw as needed and feed raw!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 12:46:19 pm »
yeah, i'm gonna try something like that. should he eat that alone or should i mix it with his dry food? or would that throw off the ratio in the dry food? if i feed it alone, would it be lacking all the proper things he needs, or is it just enough to get him to EAT at this point? have you guys heard of satin balls? i have that recipe and was thinking of making that for him..i'm sure he'd love it and it's supposed to put weight on pretty quickly.

Ingredients
      10 pounds hamburger meat [the cheapest kind]
      1 lg. box of Total cereal
      1 lg. box oatmeal
      1 jar of wheat germ
      1 1/4 cup veg oil
      1 1/4 cup of unsulfured molasses
      10 raw eggs AND shells
      10 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
      pinch of salt

Mix all ingredients together, much like you would a meatloaf.

Divide into 10 quart freezer bags and freeze.

Thaw as needed and feed raw!

Looks good...I would add some Salmon Oil, E, and kelp right before you feed him to make it more balanced.
Mary W. Crane

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 01:17:17 pm »
I love that recipe. I've made it for my guys. They love it! I always feed it to them the week before a show because I find they don't eat well when showing. This way I know they won't loose any weight. Hope you have a really really big bowl to mix it all. I didn't and I had to use two different bowls. You're going to love it and so is Yukon.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 01:35:17 pm »
Okay, thanks. I have the salmon oil and kelp, will need to pick up some vitamin E. How much E would you add?

And no, I don't have a bowl that big, I can imagine lol. I think I'm going to cut the recipe in half and do it that way, since my freezer space is not abundant either. Thanks! It will be good to see him eat!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 01:36:27 pm »
Okay, thanks. I have the salmon oil and kelp, will need to pick up some vitamin E. How much E would you add?

And no, I don't have a bowl that big, I can imagine lol. I think I'm going to cut the recipe in half and do it that way, since my freezer space is not abundant either. Thanks! It will be good to see him eat!

400 UI per day would be good  :)
Mary W. Crane