Author Topic: Keeping your dog cool  (Read 10723 times)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Keeping your dog cool
« on: March 31, 2005, 10:29:14 pm »
Just wondering, with the weather warming up, what methods you use to keep your dogs cool in the late spring/summer. We have heat waves that reach into the upper 100's so Bear is pretty confined to staying in the house all day. He sleeps on the tile floor in front of his own fan. When he does go out for extended periods of time there is always water involved- swimming in the pool, lake, river or taking a water hose bath. What lengths do go to in order to keep your dog comfy and cool?
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline SaintMommy

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Lucy and Charlie with puppy pal Bosley - 10 months
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping your dog cool
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 09:11:06 am »
On the same note, Has anyone heard about shaving your dog?  We live in Bakersfield, CA. Cassie is a 10 month old 144 pound Saint Bernard.  She came to our family in July of last year as a puppy. We kept her cool and walked her early in the morning and late at night.  She does NOT do well when its above 80.  Any comments, on shaving your dog. We have heard it helps and we have heard it doesn't? Our groomer also said that her coat (long hair) might not grow back the same? 
Thanks much,
Renee & Mark

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 10:42:39 am »
I have heard that it doesn't grow back with the same consistency as it originally had if you shave them since they are double coated. And that it may grow back wavy/curly instead of being flat.
Hugs,
Jaime

Offline SaintMommy

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Lucy and Charlie with puppy pal Bosley - 10 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 11:56:03 am »
I have had my Newf's belly shaved...that's it.  We have stone floors so he flops on the floor in the summer and doesn't move.  Also got him "cool pads".  They are very cool (excuse the pun!) gel pads that you soak for about 20 minutes and they stay moist and cool for days (available at www.inthecompa nyofdogs.com in their summer catalog).  The only down side is they don't really come large enough for my 140 lb Newf-boy.  I put a pair on his bed in the summer and he seems much happier!  We tried the giant cool pad with the sponge filling and it popped and soaked our bedroom floor.  Not good!  The giants are just too heavy for that product!  Did get my money back for the pad..not the carpeting!

Cassie's favorite place in the entire household is the tile right in front of the front door.  I do worry about her hips (which are bad) and that there is not pad to provide cushion against the hard floor.  I will try the cool pad.  Do you think the belly shave makes a difference for your Newf-boy?  I will certainly try it.  I just feel so bad for her in the summer.  We do have fans all over the house and spend a literal fortune on air conditioning.  Thanks for the tip on the pads. 
Thanks much,
Renee & Mark

Offline RottnPeytonsMom

• Gnawer
  • Peyton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 01:17:03 am »
I am a dog groomer and although I live in wisconsin we do have a lot of people that shave thier dogs down in the summer time. I have a few Saints and one Newfie that come in in the early spring for a shave down and by the time fall sets in and the weather cools off they have thier coat back. 2 of my saint people have commented that the coats dont grow back as thick. But they have said that since it doesn't grow back as thick its easier to care for.
Now my newfie's mom said that the coats quality wasn't near as well when it grew back and it was not as thick. SO I would have to say that unless your dog is only a companion dog, dont shave the whole dog. Belly shaves are very popular. They do help the dog to cool down since they can reach the cool floors with their skin.

Hope I helped.
Kelly
Please dont forget me, for if I thought you would I would never leave-Christopher Robin

Offline ToddsMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 06:38:17 pm »
Hi,

I posted a longish response, but I hadn't logged in properly (hey, I'm new!), and it disappeared into cyberspace.

Let me just say that the pic accompanying my posts is a "before" pic of my boy on June 4, 2004. The ones below are the "afters."

He LOVED his haircut. I had him clipped every summer in early June before the temps climbed up to the mid-to-high 30's C (90's to 100's F). Never a problem with sunburn. Enough fur grew back in by September for the cooler weather, and by the time the temps dipped to -28 C (-18 F) in January/February, he had his full coat. I never had any problems with the consistency of his coat, but then, he is no show dog!!

Not sure what I'll do this summer now that I'm in milder climes, surrounded by big cedar trees, and with a polished concrete floor that is much too cold in winter but should be nice (for both puppy and me) in the summer...

Offline Saljen

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Rosie with icy whiskers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2005, 01:22:06 am »
On the same note, Has anyone heard about shaving your dog?  We live in Bakersfield, CA. Cassie is a 10 month old 144 pound Saint Bernard.  She came to our family in July of last year as a puppy. We kept her cool and walked her early in the morning and late at night.  She does NOT do well when its above 80.  Any comments, on shaving your dog. We have heard it helps and we have heard it doesn't? Our groomer also said that her coat (long hair) might not grow back the same?  

My mother used to shave her Westie in the summer because his coat was so thick and it gets really hot here in the summer as well. But unfortunately after a few times, it stopped growing in the same and has since been thinner and stringier. But even more important is some news I just read off of my Yahoo Pets page. It said that shaving pets in the summer is not a good idea, and that dogs fur actually has some sort of natural cooling system to it - like it keeps them warmer in winter, cooler in summer. But the most important reason it said not to was that their fur PROTECTS THEIR SKIN FROM THE SUN. It said that without the fur to protect their skin, they could be more prone to skin cancer. And unfortunately, my mother's dog now has some places on his skin that they need to take him in to the vet to see if they are cancerous. They don't look very good. You might look into this before shaving your dog. I would think the belly might be okay because it is underneath tho. Anyone else know about this?

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2005, 11:02:09 am »
I've heard it was really bad to shave dogs with long hair.  It is my understanding that it keeps them warm as well as cool. 
I do love the idea of shaving his belly though, especially if it works well. 
We don't have a particular trick.  We keep the AC up really high and then walk him at night.  It is too hot in FL to have him out during the day.  I walked him in the afternoon once and thought I was going to kill him.
I've also heard that you should ease them into either going outside and bringing them back into the house.  I've heard it is a huge shock to their system to go from really hot to a cold house.  Though, I don't know how to ease him into it.  The shade isn't much cooler and often there is no shade around. 
Does anyone know anything about that?
Also, should I limit his water when he comes in from exercising or hot weather?  I was told they may bloat if they drink too much.

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2005, 04:29:48 pm »
Good question about the water. I hadn't heard about bloat due to water. We give Bear as much as he wants in the warm weather because he pants so much. We also hose him off outside  (if he can't swim in the pool that day) and make sure the water gets to the skin...it seems to work well. Also, ice cubes are good because they take a while to melt in his mouth.
Hugs,
Jaime

Offline RottnPeytonsMom

• Gnawer
  • Peyton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2005, 04:32:42 pm »
I have heard of bloat from drinking too much water. A friends rottie had that problem and they used to only give her so much water at a time and then a little while later give her more. Just so she isn't drinking the whole bucket in one shot. I have always used ice cubes in my dogs water. They like to eat them sometimes and seems to help them cool off a little. I have never had a long haired dog though so other than the things that I hear from my clients at work and friends I really dont know how to deal with keeping them cool

Kelly
Please dont forget me, for if I thought you would I would never leave-Christopher Robin

Offline raaleppo

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Raaleppo Saint Bernards
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2005, 05:55:34 pm »
This dog should be in a circus
as a Contortionist ::)

Offline raaleppo

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Raaleppo Saint Bernards
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2005, 05:58:12 pm »
Hi I am not in favour of it but Clipping is better keep in mind that the coat also insulates against heat and the sun
Ann

Offline ToddsMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2005, 02:41:04 pm »
Maybe to some extent the coat acts as an insulator against the heat, but not when the temps are extremely high, as we experienced where we used to live. You should have seen the transformation in my boy when he got his haircut -- a MUCH happier pooch! AFAIC, how the dog reacts is more important that what the "experts" say, and in my case, I had much expert advice encouraging me to have him clipped. Do note that I did NOT have him shaved... he was clipped short.

Note also that we did not have air-conditioning. There was no respite from the heat. Even the basement was hot. He did not use the kiddy pool after the first 2 summers. The beach was too far away for a quick dip in the lake. He HATES hoses. Nope... for us, clipping his coat short was the answer, and then avoiding being out in the sun as much as possible. We usually headed for the dog park around dusk, and any trips to the beach for a swim were in the late afternoon after the sun was past its peak.

My big dilemma, actually, was whether or not to allow him to swim, since this was so effective a means of cooling off, but tended to cause skin problems... But that's a thread of its own...

p.s. Don't you love the belly-up pose? I have a similar pic of Todd somewhere...

Offline BOBI

• Gnawer
  • I'M NOT YOUNG ENOUGH TO KNOW EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2005, 07:45:24 am »
i am a groomer for many years and have shaved many long haired and double coated dogs. shving the belly does help as well as the kiddie pools. it is not harmful if you are not ever planning to show your pet. for thier comfort. this is what happens when you chose a breed that is not suited to the climent that you live in.
they can be left with varying degrees of length (strictly preference) and yes, the coat does serve as insulation against the sun. i prefer to leave them around a half inch long to an inch depending on coat type.
the dogs are much more comfortable. and dogs do not have sweat galnds so yes they cool naturally through paws, belly and by panting.
and i have had people tell me that if you shave your dog, they will never be the same, or will be embarrassed, etc.
dogs pick up on the owners vibes and if you laugh at them, or feel they look horrid, they will sense that.
i used to explain to my customers to tell thier dogs they are pretty and love them so they are proud of thier new do.
most dogs are thrilled and it gives them vitality again. i have seen older dogs on deaths door spring back to life after having a haircut.
ultimately, if you live in a hoit climent and own a cold weather climent dog, its your responsibilty to that animal to make them as comfortable as you can in that environment.
so to clip, or shave is the humane thing to do.
LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT, SHOUTING....    "HOLY CRAP, WHAT A RIDE..."