Author Topic: I feel used (NDR) - kind of long  (Read 1661 times)

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
I feel used (NDR) - kind of long
« on: October 10, 2007, 11:37:23 am »
so dear friends,

I have an issue at work and I have exhausted all the possiblities so now I sit and stew over the outcome I will try to give you a condensed version but it is long.

I was hired 3 years ago as a computer lab assistant at the High School where my son goes and my daughter will someday as well.  The hours work out great, they are flexable and the 2 ladies I work with are awesome - sounds great huh - it really is BUT I make next to nothing.  A little over minimum wage - I am a certified teacher, with a masters degree - I'm not teaching because there are no job openings and honestly I don't know If I want to commit to the time that goes into that job.  So my job when I started was to watch the students in the lab make sure they were following the rules; write up repair orders; and fill the printers - well as people have figured out that I have a brain I am now running all over the building fixing this computer issues or that one; updating the website; helping substitute teachers; reimaging computers; setting up new computers and installing software and the list goes on.  I am always asked if I mind doing these things and I do like to keep busy but I look around at staff doing so much less than me and getting paid more - so everyones answer is stop doing the extras and just do my job - but then I won't seem like a team player and the lady I help out will be overwhelmed and I like her.

I really have tried to get over the money issue I know what I was going to be making when I took the job but it has evolved and I feel like I am being taken advantage of, but in a school system there are only certain jobs you can have and they only pay certain things.  I need to get over it if I want to keep my job - the perks are good - I know what is going on in my teenagers life (otherwise I would know nothing - he doesn't share).

Sorry so long - I just needed to vent

Randy

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: I feel used (NDR) - kind of long
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 11:47:44 am »
I would be really frustrated as well. The cost of living is not going down and it gets more and more difficult to afford things these days.

Have you talked to the superviser about this issue?

Did you sign your job description when you got hired?
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 12:42:59 pm »
WHAT HOLLY SAID!

Randy, Holly's totally right. You have to go to the principal. You're running the tech stuff, so you should be compensated at the higher grade.

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 12:05:54 pm »
Thanks everyone for your care and great advise, I did speak to the principal once when she asked me to take over the school webpage - she said she would try to get me some money but I don't think she ever did speak to anyone - I think Monday should be interesting they just asked me to sub for one of the tech teachers (he only has two classes) we will see if I get sub pay.

I think at somepoint I am going to have to go to the superintendent of technology - the problem is by doing that I am saying that the lady above me can't handle everything and believe me she is smart, quick and perfectly capable except the building has over 600 computers that is alot to handle never mind printers, lotus notes, faxes, scanners etc.  when she started years ago the building had probably 250 computers and of course software packages change daily and everyone wants there work done first!

Anyway, It just feels better to get it out of my system and since hubby says "don't do the extra work or quit" (must be nice in his financial world) I can't discuss it with him any more.

So thanks again!!

Randy