Author Topic: timberwolf organics and the vet  (Read 6093 times)

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
timberwolf organics and the vet
« on: October 15, 2007, 11:12:46 am »
my vet is telling me i need to put my dogs on science diet from timberwolf because timberwolf is a bad food. I am running from this vet although can anyone help me? I am switching the vet, but staying within the practice.  If she just said it once no big deal..but everytime we go to the vet i get lectured on this.  Jazmine has a different vet then titan, and it is titan's vet that is giving me problems.  I can use timberwolf for the puppy right? it says so on the package.... he looks great, i see no issues with him, but any advice?

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: timberwolf organics and the vet
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 11:29:12 am »
i have used a   variety of types of food.  Right now they are on the wild and dry..then they will be on the chicken one...the vet says that there isn't enough protein in them...and that they need more protein and more calcium...she actually suggested supplimenting calcium!!!!!!!

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 11:30:53 am »
I was just looking at there web sight and the protein content on many of there foods seems out of whack for a giant breed pup.  I am not a big fan of Science Diet but there are other great options out there as well.  Which type of Timber WOlf are you feeding?
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 11:32:14 am »
I guess I was not the only one to have this opinion. :D

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 11:33:09 am »
right now the wild and dry....and then we have the low protein food which we must add to .... he isn't growing fast...he is a slow grower, she thinks he should have more protein...more calcium...that is her concern

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 11:35:11 am »
can you reccommend a food then? he was on sam's choice dog food which had 21% protein..that is what the breeder was feeding...

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 11:58:36 am »
I guess the vet is telling me to give more protein and calcium and more fat too. And you are telling me less... i know about 21% is great.... his legs are not bowing out, he does not have hod, he isn't fat, nor extra thin, he plays outside for the most part of the day (i don't leave him there, i am home with him)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 12:13:59 pm »
I think that Timberwolf is a great food and there is no reason to switch

I have been feeding my pup grain free food in addition to raw since she was 6 months and she is doing great on it. She was growing nice and slow with no orthopedic problems. She is 15 months and looks great!

I am one of the very few people who didn't follow 21-24% protein issue. I believe that it is the amount fed and calcium play a major role in orthopedic development.
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 03:14:04 pm »

Science Diet is crud.  Although, I would be interested in hearing Titan's current vet's reasoning behind her choice and what her comments would be after you told her that giant breeds should grow slow, thus the need for low protein.  But that is just me, it would help me make the decision of her abilities.  But then I would probably still go to a different vet anyway.

I can tell you that, $$$$$$ is running through her head.I bet the practice sells Science Diet and that she is paid for selling more of it in the practice. Vets never cease to amaze me.

I feed Evangers (Pheasant and Brown Rice). It's got 24% protein, the boys LOVE it and have great coats and poops! Timberwolf is not a bad food just find one that has the right protein amounts if you can! I'm glad you are running from that vet! UGH!

Timber wolf is great food i changed everyone over to wellness core and they love it science diet is not grain free and did you ever wonder why the vet pushes it because they get a cut for cat and dogs! There poops are perfect and everyone is happy. Bryce had lost a lot of weight from april to now and the vet said to change his food. so i did everyone is happy even though i still stand by the timberwolf! Marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 05:15:14 pm »
I think the main concern is not that Timberwolfe is sub par food but that the protein content is too high for a growing giant breed.  Once matured it is inline with other foods but the previose poster was right on when she stated that vets genreally do not specialize in giant dogs and some of what they state are blanket statements across dogs of all sizes.

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 06:16:17 pm »
I think the main concern is not that Timberwolfe is sub par food but that the protein content is too high for a growing giant breed.  Once matured it is inline with other foods but the previose poster was right on when she stated that vets genreally do not specialize in giant dogs and some of what they state are blanket statements across dogs of all sizes.
Your pup looks like bryce did when he was a pup!
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Lyn

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 05:52:00 am »
The Southwest Chicken and Herb formula is a smidge higher in protein/fat than what's normally recommended. I myself would probably feed it since it's close.. BUT Holly is the food guru so maybe she's can give some input. ;) ;D

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS

Crude Protein min. 25%
Crude Fat min. 15%
Crude Fiber max. 3%
Moisture max. 9%
Ash max. 6.5%
Calcium 1.3%
Phosphorous 1.1%
Copper 16 mg/kg
Vitamin A 22,000 IU/kg
Vitamin D 1,200 IU/kg
Vitamin E 350 IU/kg
*Taurine min. .17%
*Omega-6 Fatty Acids 4%
*Omega-3 Fatty Acids 1%

Ingredients are here.. http://timberwolforganics.com/pet-foods/Southwest-Chicken-and-Herbs-Canid-Formula-9-4lb-9-1-8kg

Edited to add that the other Timberwolf formulas are all higher in protein and fat. The chicken is the lowest.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 05:54:15 am by Lyn »