Author Topic: Have a line on who dumped these pups... what would you do?  (Read 3333 times)

Offline lilqhgal

• Gnawer
  • Wataaya
    • View Profile
    • Cowgirl Expressions
Have a line on who dumped these pups... what would you do?
« on: October 15, 2007, 12:31:27 pm »
About 2 years ago I rescued an Akita mix from the ditch by my folks' farm.  She was dumped and left along with 6 siblings.  The neighbor girl caught a couple and took them to the animal shelter, and the dog catcher came out and got the rest... save One.  The couldn't catch her and said they didn't have the time/manpower to chase after her.  Long story short, I caught her between the field and the culvert under the road she was living in and sat in the ditch and waited patiently for her, and within 20 minutes she was in my lap, and has been in my life ever since.  She's a very unique dog, and there's not very many of them around here (small farm community in Ohio) and being mixed with what we've generally assumed was Lab makes her even more unique.  I always wondered what happened to her siblings and about a month ago I was at our small town local little festival and was talking to a friend of a friend (etc) and she mentioned she had an Akita x Lab mix.  Well, we got to talking and she may very well have my dog's brother.  However, she didn't get him at the shelter.  From her story, she stopped at a house just out of town w/ a "free puppies" sign out and got her dog as about an 8wk old puppy.  She got him about a month before I found my pup, who was guessed to be about 12wks when I took her to the vet.  She said there were about 10 pups when she picked hers out, so my theory is (and I could either be right on or WAY off, so it's just a theory) that perhaps they tried the "free puppies" sign for so long and then just took the rest of them and dumped them?  At any rate, I drove by the house in question and they in fact have a Black Lab type dog (had some white on his chest) running lose in their fenced front yard, and an almost all white w/ a dark brownish or black head, but definitely Akita, in a small kennel run next to their barn.  This could be where my dog came from, and I want to find out, but I don't want to barge up to these people's house and say "Hey I got this dog from the ditch and blah blah blah...." so I was wondering what you all would do if you were in this situation?

Offline Cai Li

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Have a line on who dumped these pups... what would you do?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 12:40:46 pm »
Wow I don't know what I would do but I do know that my first instinct would be to run up to their door and tell them how horrible they are! I better note that I am NOT recomending you do that though lol! You are definately in a tough spot I would have to seriously consider weather or not it would be wise to approach them at all. I personally don't feel that I could be calm enough to be able to do that without ranting about how they are such irresponsible dog owners and shouldn't be allowed to have dogs at all. I know I'm not much help but you might want to consider just leaving it alone since I don't really see any good coming from it. Good luck to you and I hope you find the right thing for you to do!

Julia
A wagging tail lifts you when life has let you down.

Offline lilqhgal

• Gnawer
  • Wataaya
    • View Profile
    • Cowgirl Expressions
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 12:57:09 pm »
LOL Julia, that's kinda how I feel too!!  that's why I thought I'd check here for suggestions.  I mean, even if it WAS them, there's really nothing I could do for what they did to those pups 2+ years ago.  But part of me really wants to know more about my dog's heritage, if for nothing else but health purposes.

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 05:13:46 pm »
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

I think if it was closer to the time you took your pup in that would have been the time to address this. Time has passed and what proof do you have? I am sure you know you are right they are the people but..... You would need more proof. They must be pretty low life scums to do that to puppies those are the kinda people that should'nt have any kind of pets. I worked with a woman a long time ago whos husband threw there pups on the thurway in a pillow case they lived out in the country and did'nt think there was anything wrong with it.They made me sick Marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Nicole

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 11:06:24 am »
I would say leave it alone, too. You aren't going to get anywhere with people that dump dogs, ya know?

And, just out of curiosity...wh at do you mean by knowing about their heritage for health purposes?

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 04:54:03 pm »
Just my opinion but dont even approach it. Unfortunately for some people, dog dumping is no big deal, and if they are dumping the puppies then they certainly arent taking that great of care of the parent(s) The health of the parents to the pup is going to largely depend on the care that the humans give the dogs. Obviously there are some genetic problems that can occur with out without good health care but with your dog going on 2 you would have probably noticed any of those problems by now.
Confronting these people wouldnt accomplish anything either and would probably just irritate you even more.
You have a gorgeous dog and he is lucky that you are his human.

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 12:55:19 pm »
You could drop a note in their mailbox saying how much you enjoy looking at their dogs and if they ever have a litter to call you.  Maybe you'd be able to rescue a whole litter at once without having to sit in a ditch.

The last litter I rescued was left at the garbage dump.  Hmf.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 03:12:02 pm »
I can certainly empathize with your situation. I agree, though, you're best leaving it alone. Even if they do have the parents, they certainly aren't likely to admit they dumped a bunch of puppies in the ditch. And, even if your intentions were benign, they would probably think you were being aggressive and chances are you would leave there feeling even worse.

The good news is, mixed breeds tend to not inherit a lot of the badly bred genetic diseases like cancers, hip dysplasia, etc. - and as was noted earlier, these "kind of people" probably have no clue what kind of medical condition their dogs are in.

You should sleep soundly at night knowing you did much more than the average person would do when faced with the same situation. You didn't give up on that puppy, you gave her a happy, healthy, loving home. And, as a bonus, you now know that at least one other littermate is in a better place, too.

Just keep an eye out for the next "free puppies" sign and maybe you and the other mom can pool your money to get their dog spayed so this doesn't happen again and again.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 03:27:38 pm »
I agree - it's tempting to confront them, but on the other hand, it's been a long time and you have little proof. They would deny it anyway. I'd suggest just feeling very good about rescuing your dog and giving her (him?) a wonderful home. Hmmmm....as I'm thinking about it, you could also pick up some info on the local low cost spay/neuter clinics and stick them in the mailbox in the middle of the night. Technically, it's a federal offence to put stuff IN the mailbox, but you could hang it ON the mailbox.  ;D
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python