Author Topic: hi folks  (Read 15605 times)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: hi folks
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2007, 01:59:04 am »
Awww, Trigger is adorable.   :-*  You'll have to post pics of Myca when you have a moment.  There's a number of people here on BPO with horses, too.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline couchhounds

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2007, 02:49:54 pm »
so here are the pics of myka, and already... he is giving me some toruble. but thats ok, how do you win a horses trust?

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2007, 03:30:10 pm »
Hello, welcome to BPO!
Your pups are gorgeous, as is your horse.
I'd seriously consider all your options before breeding your female.  I'd love to have a litter of pups and it would be very tempting to keep them all, but after 3 months I'm sure I would be reconsidering the little monkeys.

As for how to win a horses trust?  The same way you would a dog's.  Lots of time, patience and love.  And some treats never hurt either.  Don't force the animal to do something it doesn't want to..........le t it come to you on it's own terms.

chaosndestruction

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 10:47:20 am »
and ALWAYS end any type of training session with the horse on a good note...no matter how un-cooperative they are being. If they do the smallest thing correct that you ask for stop...praise them and leave it alone for a while.

As for gaining trust...carrot s, apples, and a little grain always help! Speaking in a calm voice and slow movements are a good thing to remember as well...this might take a bit of patience...don't get frustrated if he doesn't come near you/accept you right away...they can sense these things:) Sooo don't be afraid/frustrated...Just be calm and patient.

Horses will let out a kind of *sigh* or grind their teeth a few times when they accept/start to feel comfortable with knew/unfamiliar things as well.

How long has Myca been with you now? If it's been less than 2 weeks you also should remember that he's still getting used to his new home..and it can take a few weeks for some horses to settle in and start to feel comfortable.

Offline couchhounds

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 07:28:36 pm »
well, i have had myka for just over a week now, and he comes when he is called but when ever i walk through the pasture (thats the only way to get to his barn to feed him) he follows me with his head low ot the ground. i know he hasn't been handled all that much in the last few years. which is one of the reasons i took him, i felt bad for him. i mean, i am not new to the horse world. my frist horse was a 20 yo mare, she was half arab half quaterhorse. and for an old girl... she was full of arab fight. but i knew the people she came from, and i knew that the only reason they gave her up waas because they didn't have enough room for her. but with myka... i don't know, when he looks at me there is just something in his eyes... i can't explain it. right now, i haave taken to leading him to the barn when i go to feed him, that way he doesn't have the chance to charge my from behind. also, while he is eating i brush him and touch him, and just taalk to him. though this morning, thank god for layering clothes, he grabbed right a hold of my sweatshirt and ripped it. and i know this is mean, but he promptly got a slap in the nose. i know he is still getting used to me, but i can't let anything slide.

chaosndestruction

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2007, 09:50:15 am »
Be careful with that. If he has trust issues you can make him head shy by hitting him in the nose.

Some horses have a "fetish" with grabbing onto clothes. I try to re-direct that behavior. My stallion tries to do this, instead I give him my hand and he licks it.

Instead of hitting his nose, I smack him on the neck or chest, along with a firm "NO!", if the grabbing of clothes is aggressive or he has intentions to try nipping me. But sometimes when my stallion does this it's neither...it's just kind of a weird habit.

Where you touching him before he grabbed you? We have a horse that is food aggressive and will get pissy at us if we try to do anything with her while she's eating (especially when she's prego). Maybe you hit a sore spot? Our old mare that we recently had to put down would get bitey when one of her ribs was out and she needed the chiropracter.

I hope after correcting him that you made sure to do what you were doing before and ended it on a good note.

Offline couchhounds

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2007, 03:22:35 pm »
ok, so now i have a new issue, my older hound has become very aggresive towards my mom. in the past 2 days she has tried to bite her. once when lily was on the couch in the living room, where she isn't supposed to be (she has slept on a crappy sofa in my room for the last year and a half and has never gotten on the couch in hte living room before) anad my mom tried to grab her collar to take her off, she growled and showed her teeth, and then tonight, my mom had put some double sided tape on the floor to keep a rug from slipping, and lily was starting to chew on the tape and my mom went over to her and agaain she growled and baared her teeth. now, my mom is not an animal person... at all. and ever since lily was a pup she has constantly harrased my mom, and i don't know how to fix this. and suggestions? i have tried just abaout everything, my mom and lily even went to training classes, we bought a shock collar (even though i didn't want to) and nothing works, she is pretty much defiant to the end.

Offline couchhounds

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2007, 06:53:00 am »
ok, so in the past few weeks, lily has been gettin more and more aggresive, and just... well cranky. she has snapped at my mom twice, my brother in law, and myself. i have tried just about everything taht i can do on my own. with out seeking prof help (mainly because i can't afford it) i love her to death, but my parents say that if she tries to bite one of the grand kids, she will have to go. and it isn't just resource gaurding, she used to let us open her mouth and take things out, (she likes to eat things she knows she isn't supposed to) but now... i don't dare try and take things out of her mouth, or brush her teeth. i just don't know what to do, i think she is still bent out of shape because of piper and trigger moving in. but it has been just about 2 months. i just don't konw what to do.