Author Topic: Biting and nibbling problem  (Read 2132 times)

Offline nolagirl05

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Carrie's MySpace
Biting and nibbling problem
« on: October 17, 2007, 06:33:49 pm »
Charlie has started snapping and biting at me when we play...pulling on my clothes.  He isn't being mean or aggressive...h e's just trying to play.  But last night, he snapped at my face a couple of times...once he bit my chin.  Like I said, I'm pretty sure he's just playing with me, but does anybody have advice about how to stop it?  I tell him no, and it doesn't seem to be getting through.  I'm not sure he even understands what he's doing wrong.

Charlie - Great Pyrenees (DOB 5/1/07)
Nola & Roo - beautiful kitties

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Biting and nibbling problem
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 07:26:53 pm »
Cassie was 21 months when we adopted her and she was still doing this when she came to us.  It is a puppy thing, but something that I really like to discourage.  We used this gentle tactic with Cass and it worked really well & fast, too.    ;D   When she'd jump on us and/or mouth us, we'd say "no jump!" or "no mouth!".  "No mouth" is a little odd, but we deliberately didn't say "no bite" b/c we didn't want our kids or their friends to think that she was dangerous or inclined to bite with intent to hurt.  We didn't say "down" b/c we use that command when we want her to lay down.  Anyway, after saying "No ..." we'd immediately turn our backs to her for as long as it took for her to settle down and stop jumping or nipping.  It seldom took more than 15 or 20 seconds (really) before she'd sit down and wait for us to pet & praise her again.  We also used NILIF with obedience & treats.  We spoke to her firmly but without shouting and never used any physical means to correct her.  I believe that our dogs really want to please us and that is particularly true for Cassie, so by telling her no and giving her a moment to calm down, she learned fast that she has all of the love & affection that she can handle when she doesn't jump or chew on us.   ;)  :)  I hope that this helps. 
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 07:30:28 pm »
Well you have to look at how you are playing with him!  And then you need to change- biting or snapping should never be encouraged even in play. With him snapping at your face- what are you doing that your face is so close to his face?  It may be cute and harmless in a little puppy but not so when they get big.   There is lots of info on the internet on 'bite inhibition' training and puppyhood is when you train them. You can still play with them but games need to be toned down so that mouthing is not a part of play time as the first step to take.  If he does bite at you then you should immediately stop playing with him and turn your back on him.  He will rapidly learn that biting means the end of play.

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 07:35:37 pm »
I'm definitely having the same problem with Miles. I have been for quite some time now. I'll just be sitting on the couch. He'll come up so I pet him, then he chews on my hand. He just wants me to play, but he needs to learn that is not the way to initiate it with me! He is very persistent. I have tried just about everything...a nd so far, the only thing that sort of works is this. When he starts biting, I get up, say "NO!" and walk away (sometimes I have to pry his mouth off me or my clothes!). Alot of times he'll follow me and continue to chew on me. I then remove myself from the room...usually go in the bedroom and shut the door. He'll bark and whine at the door for a minute or so, then quiet. That's when I know he's laying down and calming down. Also, I've now begun to make him get in his crate sometimes when he starts biting, which also calms him down a bit. When he is calm, I let him out and play with a toy with him. If he bites me, it's back to the same routine. I don't know how much effect it's had on him, but I think it might be helping a bit. :-\
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 07:38:26 pm »
Well you have to look at how you are playing with him!  And then you need to change- biting or snapping should never be encouraged even in play.

Good point, Patrick!  I'd forgotten that we've had to remind our boys not to roughhouse with Cassie, too.  It definately gets this behavior riled up and even today (8 months after she came to us) she'll occasionally start to nip or jump on us if she starts playing too roughly.  Then she & our (human) boys are both reminded to knock it off.   ;)  ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees