Author Topic: Trainer?  (Read 3570 times)

Offline cwarner

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Trainer?
« on: October 18, 2007, 07:59:22 am »
When i was at Pet Supplies plus the other day, i was talking with one of the employees who mentioned that he did some training on the side.  He didnt have alot of time to talk as his boss was down this throat about unloading a shipment they just got in.  Anyway, i had been thinking about doing some training with Kodiak for walking on a lead, and just some basics.  He does very well with sit, down, and shake.  He is horrible about Sit and Stay however.  I quickly asked him about his price.  He said $150 for 5 weeks  = $30 per hour, and he gaurentees everything out of the dog.   He said teaching him to walk on a lead is 20 mins tops .... he said it's just directing the attention of the dog to the handler and not the surrounding environment.    i really dont know much about trainers, but how does his price sound?  i thought teaching him to walk on a lead would take a bit longer than that

Offline cwarner

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Trainer?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 08:36:39 am »
Like i said, i didnt have alot of time to talk with him, but the way he was talking it sounded like he would come to the house to do the training.  He told me that i could come back on friday (today) and he'd give me his card and we could talk some more.  He made mention that he was training 2 akitas at this time.  I'll have to ask him about the references and group sessions.  It sounded like you get 5 weeks no matter what ... 1 hour per week???  =5 hoursx$30 per hour = $150.  He said that every dog is different, and if it only takes 3 sessions to accomplish the goals we set, then he'd teach some fun stuff on the last 2 sessions  (hand signals and other stuff he said).   He also said, that the first session would be him comming out and meeting with us and laying down a gameplan and setting our goals for the training.  thats about all the info i have right now from him... i just wanted to make sure i didnt get ripped off...   do you typically pay up front?? half before half after??  Thanks!

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 08:38:21 am »
I'm not sure what a good rate for obedience training would be.  I am involved with an organization that teaches all sorts of obedience for obedience titles.  Novice, Rally, and utility training and even tracking are some of the courses they teach.  Now for a 6 week puppy basic course it was $110.  Then the next pre-novice course was 6 weeks for $95 and the classes ran about that much for each class following.  They were an hour long and basically the handlers were taught how to instruct the dogs to perform and exercise and that included a heal position and heal forward on a loose lead, sit, stay, come, down, short and long finishes but keep in mind this was all for obedience competitions and it's a bit more formal.  Though I do not compete as Gracie just does not have the energy level I think is necessary (I think it bores her)for a good competition I personally think that obedience is ideal and helps to reinforce the bond but consistency is the key.  I don't think to put a time frame on the activity to learn is appropriate.  You or the dog may not quite understand right off the bat and that is where repetition will be the key.  So if it takes 5 minutes, 2 hours or one year that will be up to you and the dog understanding each other and walking on a leash correctly in your opinion.  Oh and if it were me who was considering his service I might get a reference from this person and watch how he interacts with your pet before you commit to anything. Good luck with the training and keep us posted on how it goes. 
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 09:51:12 am »
Location really plays in when you talk cost.
Locally to me (Southeast, MI... in the burbs) the cost for a group class is running anywhere from $100-$400 for 6-8 weeks of classes.
Private in-home runs around $99.00 per 1 1/2 hour visit. 
I charge $50-$70 per day for board and train.

If you attend a obedience clubs classes they are normally cheaper in cost then private trainers.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 09:55:13 am by VdogLover »

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 11:11:19 am »
We paid $172 for 6 weeks, so the price sounds on par. My only concern for you would be the private training...wha t makes Kodiak lose his focus? If it is other Dogs and people you may want to get into a group class where your trainer can correct his triggers. You know your dog best, perhaps ask for 1 lesson and go from there if possible.

Offline cwarner

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 12:04:20 pm »
Kodiak is a young pup, 12 months old ... seems like alot of things make him loose his focus ... especially when outside.  Other dogs dont bother him at all,  usually they bark at him, and he just looks at them like their crazy then keeps going on his way. I guess i'm not really sure where to look for group training in my area,  it's not a large urban setting or anything.  I'm located in Utica, NY its about 30 mins east of syracuse.  If anyone  could suggest a website or something that'd be great!   

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 12:48:07 pm »
if you have a local petsmart, they have classes.  the one i went to was >$100 for a 6 or 8 week course (can't remember exacts, sorry) and it was great.  they keep their classes small, so they can manage it well, and you get lots of attention.  you get the socialization, training, and a fun time all in one :)  they have a puppy one (more for socialization) then several other classes that offer more advanced training for older dogs.  we did have a 1 y/o pup in our class, though, that did great and learned very well! if you're interested in the petsmart classes here's the closest petsmart to you that offers them :) it says the town is 4 miles from yours, so i guess thats right lol

4731 Commercial Dr
New Hartford, NY 13413

« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 12:52:38 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline cwarner

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 01:04:38 pm »
yep, that's the petsmart that i used to get his food at.  I'll have to look into the classes there

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 03:22:16 pm »
If you don't have serious issues with your pup that need to be addressed in private settings the price definitely seems to high to me. I have been paying $60-120 per 12 weeks sessions in the various obedience clubs. If you are willing to volunteer you can pay as low as $40 per year.
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 05:18:57 pm »
The experience and expertise from one Petsmart instructor to the next can vary greatly. So be sure to speak to the instructor about her/his training experience outside of their Petsmart career.