Author Topic: He is REALLY Pushing My Buttons  (Read 6521 times)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
He is REALLY Pushing My Buttons
« on: October 24, 2007, 04:33:45 pm »
Miles has been SUCH a bad dog lately! Mainly with not listening...an d biting me...and acting like HE is superior to me. I'm tired of positive reinforcement and ignoring him when he's bad. It's not getting through his pyr head. I am now starting to scold him and make him get in his bed or "time out" in the bathroom when he is misbehaving!

Ahhhh, haha.

I know he's old enough to understand biting is bad. It doesn't matter how many times I walk away...or give him a toy...or yell. or scream! Yes, he's teething, but he has a million other things he can chew on!

And when we're walking and he wants to go one way, and I want to go the other, or he doesnt want to walk at all, he'll just plop in the middle of the sidewalk. I can yank and pull as hard as I want. Nothing. So then eventually I go to pick him up, and he'll try to bite me, because naturally I pull away and he thinks I wont try to pick him up. I've begun to nip that in the butt...by grabbing the back of his neck so he cant really get me. But my DOG, he is seriously too smart for me!

He will also not listen to commands anymore if he doesnt want to.

He's only 4 months old! I thought this kind of behavior didn't come until later!!!

Ahhh. ok. I feel better now. I just needed to vent.

P.S. He tried to hump my leg today, and that was the last straw. His little butt was in bed after that one. And I am no ignoring him. No dog treats ME like that! hahaha

P.P.S. It's not like I let him walk all over me either. I go out doors first. I make him sit before he gets his food. I guess I just need to be a little bit more firm. I am pretty much a softy when I get those puppy dog eyes that say, "Mom, I didn't mean to."  ::)

P.P.P.S. He's been doing really good with potty training! (But everytime I say that he has an accident shortly after sooo I should've kept my mouth shut! :-X)
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: He is REALLY Pushing My Buttons
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 06:03:53 pm »
Squirt bottles work wonders!  And if one of mine decide to refuse to go in a certain direction I just keep on walking - after they are dragged a few feet they decide that it is in their best interest to go with you  Only have to do it a couple of times too for them to get the message

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 06:23:04 pm »
I don't have much advice, the time out does sound good though. I do that for my dogs when they are naughty. A brat is a brat I guess. lol

P.S. sorry but I had to laugh at him humping your leg.. hehehe
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 08:11:53 pm »
ohh.  That really sux.  Naja is just starting to get into that phase.  She never really tries it with me, only the other members of my family.  My mom and sister mostly cause they're softies and she knows that she can get away with it with them.  Myself and my step dad on the other hand, that's a different story.  Best of luck!
Oh I almost forgot.  Put alittle lemon juice or vinigar in the squirt bottle, he'll HATE the taste and it will be an even stronger deterrent.  Hang in there!   ;)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 08:46:46 pm »
All I have to say is wait till he hits the teenager phase, 4 months? you haven't seen anything yet! hehehe!
I HATE the teenage stage!! Breeze is a full force teenage witch right now (9 months old). She even PEE'D in the HOUSE today something she has not done since she was like 10 weeks old.
I agree with using the squirt bottle. Although I use plain water so I do not have to worry about my aim being off and hitting an eye. Hang in there in about 18 months you will once again love your dog  ;D.

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 05:29:41 am »
Thanks for all your support guys. haha I just feel like I'm not doing something right sometimes! I will have to whip the squirt bottle back out. I used to use that before when he would bite and it worked well for like, 2 days. Then, he started to like it. NOT GOOD. haha This time I'm putting some lemon juice in there!

There will be one or two days out of a week that he'll be an angel, and it totally makes up for when he's bad. I swear he does that so I don't get rid of him! (hahaha. I kid, I could never get rid of him, even if he was the worst behaved dog ever).

Today is one of his angel days......so far. hahaha

Anyway, thanks for your support!

P.S. Good thinkin' taking his blanket and toys out of his crate. I took his toys out...but not his blanket....I would tell him, "Get in your bed!" And he would...so then I would give him a treat....since he's just starting to get what that means....haha I know that doesn't sound very smart(rewarding him), but I dont think he's ready to do that command treatless yet. hahaha....Mayb e I will start putting him in there myself when all his stuff if out..with no treat.
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 06:01:05 am »
I will have to whip the squirt bottle back out. I used to use that before when he would bite and it worked well for like, 2 days. Then, he started to like it. NOT GOOD. haha

The same here!!! Lily loves squirt bottles. She thinks it is the best game everto run away from it or charge at it, LOL!

Hang in there, hun! It will get really bad before it gets really good  :-* Pyrs are quite characters...t hey will play on your nerves like no other breed. Just show him that his games aint taking him anywhere  ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)