Author Topic: looking for newfie puppy  (Read 7494 times)

lookingfornewf

looking for newfie puppy
« on: October 24, 2007, 11:37:00 am »
I am looking fo a newfie puppy to buy in the southern Ontario/ Buffalo New York area. I would like one ready to go soon/ end of October. Does anyone know of any ready soon. Also who are the most reputable breeders in my area? ::)

lookingfornewf

Re: looking for newfie puppy
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 12:35:37 pm »
If anyone has a breeder to recommend or knows of newfie puppies available feel free to email me at kebarton@mountaincable.net
I see breeders listed on the internet, but am never sure who to trust so would like recommendation s please.  :o

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 05:43:22 am »
Please check your email for a message from cody_the_big_b lack_dog@yahoo.com regarding a breeder to avoid.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 06:59:41 am by mynameislola »
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 09:30:07 am »
Tina's right. The most important thing to remember when looking for a well-bred pup from a great breeder of ANY breed is that these things are well-planned in every way. That means that a good breeder will spend long periods of time looking for a great mating, one that produces healthy dogs with no genetic problems and generally furthers the greatness of the breed.

Part of that process means finding awesome owners for the pups that aren't necessarily going to be show or breeding dogs. That takes a long time and a real investment on the part of the breeder.

You would be a smart Newf-to-be owner if you spent the same amount of time researching the breeder and the breed. I've been researching my new Newf for a few years now, and still haven't made the commitment. I'm still trying to understad genetics a little bit. Just enough to know what I'm looking at when I see a pedigree. I don't want the wool pulled over my eyes.

This is a great place to ask specific questions about those types of issues. Being armed with information will help you discern a good breeder from a not-so-good breeder! So, ask, ask, ask! We're all here to help!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 12:19:35 pm by Nicole »

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 12:19:33 pm »
I have nothing to add, other then everybody here is absolutely right.  Buying a dog is always going to be a gamble when it comes to genetics and overall health, but your chances are greatly improved when you spend the time and effort finding the perfect breeder.  Trust the wise ones on BPO (not necessarily me, but everybody else   ;):D), spending the time and effort now will save you thousands in the future.  Good luck and don't get discouraged, the perfect dog for you is out there, it'll jsut take some time to find him/her.  ;) ;)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

lookingfornewf

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 12:40:47 pm »
I have researched newfies and know that is the dog I want, drooling and shedding included. If it takes longer to get one so be it. I was hoping someone could refer me to who the better breeders were in Ontario. I wouldn't want to get one shipped. I would want to meet the breeder and see their home in person.

Lyn

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 12:45:56 pm »
Check out the 'Dogs in Canada" website in the directory of breeders.. http://www.dogsincanada.com/

I don't have a Newf but there are a few breeders listed in there. It's a good start.. there may be some that currently have pups or are expecting some soon.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 12:46:45 pm by Lyn »

Nicole

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 12:51:57 pm »
I have researched newfies and know that is the dog I want, drooling and shedding included. If it takes longer to get one so be it. I was hoping someone could refer me to who the better breeders were in Ontario. I wouldn't want to get one shipped. I would want to meet the breeder and see their home in person.

Hey!
Nobody was saying that you don't know what you want. Since it is a board rule that we're not allowed to post breeders' information here, the best we can do is post suggestions as to how to go about looking for the right breeder. I know that I was just thinking that you probably aren't going to end up with a pup from a GOOD breeder by the end of October, so I figured I'd throw ya a few tips.

No worries, eh?

Offline gaagaa4goldens

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • "Can we come out to play?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 10:34:50 am »
Hi! 
I'm looking for a newf pup as well, but I'm not in a rush.  I've talked to a couple of really good breeders.  Like an answer to prayer I ran into a couple with their 4 month old newf yesterday.  I was able to talk to them and confirm that I was on the right track.  I'm interested in know the breeder to aviod.  Here's my e-mail address.. primarychic@sbcglobal.net
Please e-mail me if you can.  I've heard some horrow stories in my search.  While I know newfs have health issues, I want to make the best choice possible.
Jennifer

Lyn

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 11:15:09 am »
I'd be interested in the 'breeder to avoid' also. mynameislola.. could you PM it to me. ;)

My hubby has been wanting a Newf for ages. We were on a waiting list a short while ago and ended up not getting a pup due to Lola's issues. But it would be good info to have for later since we do eventually want to start checking out more breeders.

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 11:42:59 am »
http://ontario.canuckdogs.com/shows.htm

those are the last Ontario conformation events for this year.  I'd consider finding one, and going.  Meet a few breeders and their dogs.  You may find someone you like well enough to forge a relationship with who you are willing to wait on a pup from.

I'm still waiting on my future big paw.  But for an american cocker from a good breeder, I waited a year.  Being in a rush for a dog now may lead you to someone less than stellar. 
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

Offline newfie owner

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • molly our furry baby xxx
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 10:50:54 pm »

hi,good luck in your search for a newf puppy.once you get one you will be glad you waited for the right one to come along. and dont forget ,any questions you have ..you will get the right answers here  ;)keep us posted on your progress.
owners of
molly-6 month old newfie pup aswell as other pets

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 07:30:43 am »
Pyrparent and Lyn, you have mail.  I have never sent a PM here and can't quite figure it out.

Between researching the breed, choosing a breeder, and waiting for the perfect pup, it took 8 months to get Zita and Wally. 

Sparky took a few minutes.  I saw him in a cage full of scraps of cloth from the destroyed doggie bed and offered to hold him while they cleaned it up.  Ten minutes later I was writing a check.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline gaagaa4goldens

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • "Can we come out to play?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 07:57:21 pm »
I got your e-mail.  Thanks so much for taking the extra time!  I have a question for you and everyone else out there.  Are Newfs and pyrs different.  From my research their purposes are very different and so are their temperments. I don't want to get in over my head here.  Can anyone expound on the differences?
Jennifer

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2007, 05:28:41 am »
I got your e-mail.  Thanks so much for taking the extra time!  I have a question for you and everyone else out there.  Are Newfs and pyrs different.  From my research their purposes are very different and so are their temperments. I don't want to get in over my head here.  Can anyone expound on the differences?
Jennifer
I used to have a newf. Now I have a Pyr. They are very different. Newfs are more people oriented as they were bred to work with people. Pyrs are as independed as they can get. They need nobody...well, at least that's what they think  ;D Newfs are more easily trained and not as stubborn because of the breeding purposes.
Pyrs have better genetics and are much healthier than newfs. Both are great if you know what type of dog personality you are looking for  ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)