Author Topic: What about dog whistles?  (Read 2332 times)

Offline +four+leaf+clover+

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
What about dog whistles?
« on: October 24, 2007, 07:21:30 pm »
One of my Irish Setters, a female with a lot of field blood in her, likes to bark at night at possums.  I was thinking about trying to train her not to do this using a 'silent' dog whistle since I don't want to be yelling at her to shut up or recalling her at two o'clock in the morning and waking up my neighbours.  Do people still use whistles to train dogs nowadays?  Any advice or tips about any of this would be helpful.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: What about dog whistles?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 07:28:59 am »
I don't use a dog whistles but I do use a regular one. I use it for the come comand and it works wonders. I'm sure it can be taught.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline +four+leaf+clover+

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 07:39:02 pm »
I doubt I could teach her to speak/be silent.  I can't even get her to come to me at the moment: she's selectively deaf - maybe something bad happened to her with her previous owners (she's a rescue dog).  I'll try and find a silent whistle: maybe just blowing it will shock her into shutting up!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 07:46:33 pm »
I have been working on teaching Lily the "bark" command with no results. She only barks at night as well and I really don't want to reinforce her barking in late hours  :(
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)