Author Topic: doberman rescued, injured, and loud  (Read 2228 times)

Offline gardner

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
doberman rescued, injured, and loud
« on: October 24, 2007, 09:23:40 pm »
long story short:
dog hit by cars (2), no id except collar, surgury, pins in front leg, 6-10 mos old, totally house trained, likes females, wary of males, afraid of most dogs, of course chases smaller animals.  he was adjusting to house life but has started barking and niping at us.  i know it it attention he wants and we can give him a bone to stop it but we need more.... momma is starting to hate him.  anyone help.

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: doberman rescued, injured, and loud
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 04:28:59 am »
Our rescued Aussie Shepherd was also a barker.  As soon as the barking started, I would turn away from the dog.  If the barking didn't stop at that point, and it didn't for a few weeks, I would leave the room and shut the dog gate behind me.  As soon as the barking stopped, I'd come back and ignore the dog for a few seconds to see if the barking would begin.  If he was quiet, he got attention.

The squirt bottle can work, but you have to carry the bottle all the time and some dogs like the water. With the ones that don't, once they get trained that way they can sometimes be kept quiet by showing them the bottle.  One dog I worked with who was barking while crated was eventually kept quiet all day just by having the bottle on the floor in front of the crate.

If you are sure the dog is nipping for attention, you could try leashing the dog to you when it isn't crated.  That may give it enough attention to keep it from nipping to get more.  The attention is a good distraction from the pain of the injury.

The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 05:32:59 am »
LOVE the squirt bottle. My ex had two dogs that were less than "polite" when I met him. Before long, I had a squirt bottle that stayed full with the same water for over a year because the sight of it was all that was necessary!!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline gardner

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 05:39:55 am »
thanks,
the "NO" and then toy is working already.  going to get the clean squirt bottle.
thanks again.  will post pics soon.