Author Topic: Pyr traits  (Read 2063 times)

Offline shepyr

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Pyr traits
« on: October 26, 2007, 04:11:23 pm »
Hi All,
I'm not new to big dogs, but I am new to Pyrs.  I adopted a pyr/shepherd cross 2mnths ago and am enjoying her very much. Liesl, the dog, was approx 10wks at the time and abandoned with 2 sisters. 
My question is regarding her instinct to be up high.  Her first chosen place to lie was on our hearth.  Of coarse furniture is also a place she'd like to be, but more recently she wants to be on the window seat, which is OK with us.  Outside on walks she also gravitates to being high on rock outcrops etc.  Is this typical pyr behaviour, it would make sense if guarding a flock?

bigdogs@5501

Re: Pyr traits
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 04:47:17 pm »
Welcome to BPO and congrats on your newest addition- We had a male that always insisted on laying on the rock pile at nite- and my girls now chose a corner of the deck in evenings. They are guardians so maybe this is one of the ways that they guard. I have seen where Pyrs will lay very still in the grass with thier sheep or goats and just blend in waiting to protect.
Mine also like the couch, the bed and one of them insists on laying on the coffee table in the TV room.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 11:58:54 am »
Hi Shepyr & welcome!  Though I haven't really noticed the "up high" thing with mine, if that's the best vantage point for Liesl to see & guard her territory, then it sure makes sense to me!  What a clever girl.  I think that it's wonderful that you adopted her, congratulation s!

BTW Paige, I'd looooove to see your coffee table pyr.  I really can't think of anything prettier!   ;)  ;D  :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline shepyr

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 12:22:27 am »
Thanks for your replies. One of these days I'll post pics of my girl, long legs and all.

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 05:00:08 pm »
Marie- the coffe table Pyr, that Pyr is Bella- I dont know how many of my other posts that you have read but Bella is by far my problem child. Just this week we had the conversation that consisted of just what else is she capable of? She wears me out- and I love her-but I am just about ragged with Bella. Right now I am sick, the kind of sick where I am drinking Nyquil instead of tea. I went to bed last nite at 7:45 after drinking most of the nyquil and Bella decided that was the nite that she wanted to be the most annoying- at one point I woke up in a small corner of the bed because she was totally stretched out, another time I woke up because she was licking the pillow.... It was the worst nite ever.