Author Topic: drool question  (Read 6459 times)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
drool question
« on: October 27, 2007, 07:13:03 pm »
Hello! I am new to having a giant breed dog--I have a Great Pyrenees--and she does not drool at all (at least she hasn't this first week I've had her). I am pleasantly surprised and it started me wondering if all big dogs drool? Or if specific breeds drool more than others? Or if drooling is more individual "dog-specific"? Any thoughts?
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: drool question
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 07:18:11 pm »
Most of the pyrs don't drool at all unless it is super hot. They are not food motivated so they don't drool when they see food either.
There are plenty on big dogs that do drool: Newfs, mastiffs, saints, etc.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 07:31:03 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 03:15:13 am »
stacy and i have had many a conversation about this issue,  we think the dogs with shorter noses and hanging jowls drool.  there are some newfies who don't, but they have a little longer snout, then there are the newfies with the short noses (kinda like st. bernarnds) there are more apt to drool... we've got a drooler on our end.  i've really  just come to accept it.  my mom said it's great training for when i have children because i won't care about what they throw up.  lol.

good luck!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Lyn

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 05:42:52 am »
I agree it depends alot on the jowls.

Bubba drools a ton and you can see how saggy his jowls are in my avatar pic. Lola on the otherhand only drools if she's watching me eat something or after she's had a drink but her jowls don't hang nearly as much.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 05:47:09 am by Lyn »

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 02:19:07 am »
Jack (Pyr) drools when he's watching us eat or waiting for his food.  Oh, and when we go to the pet store (but again I think it's because there's food and treats EVERYWHERE)!

Other than that he's not a drooler - thank god!  I couldn't deal with that on a regular basis - it GROSSES ME OUT!!!

Greta (Swissy) doesn't drool at all. YEA!!!!
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 03:25:46 am »
I have not had a drooler, until now.  I'm keeping Axle (Akita) and he is a drooler!  Mostly after he drinks water or when food is around but periodically for no reason at all.  His jowls are kind of saggy, and he drinks A TON of water.  I have also discovered that the drool has a slight odor, kind of musky, it's weird!!  I was going to post a question about the smell, but my neighbor said that one of her male boxers drooled and there was a little odor.  I can't say that it grosses me out but it's unnerving, I feel like I need to walk around with a mop!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 03:46:29 am »
Naja Drools when she's in the car, drinking, hot, or when there are food and treats around.  But I think it's cute so I don't mind.  You know it's funny, I keep hearing and reading that Pyrs are not food motivated, but I've never met a dog more food motivated than my Naja.  I think that just makes her more special.  ;)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 06:23:56 am »
Naja Drools when she's in the car, drinking, hot, or when there are food and treats around.  But I think it's cute so I don't mind.  You know it's funny, I keep hearing and reading that Pyrs are not food motivated, but I've never met a dog more food motivated than my Naja.  I think that just makes her more special.  ;)

Jack is food obsessed as well, I'm wondering if that will slow down a bit once he's full grown.  We'll see!  We also heard how they don't care much about food and how they don't need to eat as much as most large/giant breeds due their slow metabolism but that is certainly NOT the case with Jack. 
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 06:38:08 am »
It's funny though, cause she's not all that obsessive with her own food.  Well I guess I can't free feed her cause she'll eat it ALL, but she'll only get difficult to handle or extra daring if there's people food around, like the fresh baked apple pie she got off the counter yesterday, or the roast that was left sitting on the counter a few days before that.  lol.  Or treats left lying around.  I have to put her bed time treats in a drawer now cause she can reach onto the tall dresser (which by the way stands a little over 5' tall!) and steal them off there!  Regular food she'll sit and wait for me to say it's okay though.  Hm  ::) :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 07:33:57 am »
I've never understood the thing about Pyrs not being food motivated b/c all of mine have been very food motivated.  ;)  Cara would even steal a scrubbed potato off of the counter as I was prepping them to bake.   ::)  ;D  Cara, Halley, Cassie & Sam all have loved to sit or lay down for treats, and Cassie will shake hands for a treat, too.

Only Cara & Sammy do (or did) drool after drinking, but otherwise it hasn't been common around here. 
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 02:12:10 am »
BTW, drool put in motion by a shaking dane head is (are?) called slingers, and can be found on several ceilings and a few ceiling fans in our house between cleaning marathons.

LOL!!  Same here!!

Bodhi is definitely a drooler.  I can leave the house for several hours and come home and tell all the places Bodhi has visited in the house and how long ago....by the presence of drool and how dry it is! LOL!  When I take him somewhere I generally take two towels....one to keep wiping his face, one to give to people to wipe themselves off after he greets them!   A Newfie is not the dog for anyone with a weak stomach...hehe he...
Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 02:40:25 am »
Our Pyr drools almost all the time.  I also keep reading and hearing that Pyrs are not food motivated but Jake sure is.  All my dogs are.  And no there are giant breeds that don't drool.  Our Wolfhound does not drool.  He leaks when he drinks at the bowl only.  Even if he is very hot and panting there are no "icycles" hanging around.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats