Author Topic: How much exercise for adult Pyr?  (Read 3290 times)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
How much exercise for adult Pyr?
« on: October 27, 2007, 07:42:47 pm »
Hi there. I am new to this breed and wanted to get a sense of exercise needs. My other dog is a high energy dog who can't get enough, my Pyr is obviously much slower, but seems to enjoy our daily walks and hikes in the woods. How much and how often do you exercise your Pyr???
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: How much exercise for adult Pyr?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 07:48:56 pm »
I walk Lily 45 min in the morning. 30 min at lunch and 45 min after dinner. All the walks are very slow though. She is like a big bag of potatoes  ;D It takes 5 times longer to wak a distance I can walk myself  ;)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 07:50:32 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 10:49:16 pm »
It varies in my experience.  Like people, some Pyrs are more energetic than others, but as a whole they are very laid back.  If Jenny chases & romps with Tipper in your yard, she maybe getting quite a bit of exercise that way, too.  You can usually tell if they need more or less exercise by whether they are wound up & into mischief or looking pooped out.  ;)  :D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

marypyrs

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 04:35:55 pm »
Most Pyrs are really layed back.  :-\ Anyone who's looking for a jogging partner might want to look elsewhere.

My Guys have bouts of energy and play together like there's no tomorrow. Then they crash. And sleep, and sleep, and sleep.

We walk at least two times a day and usually three. They especially love the woods walks. It's even better to them in the winter time. You know = all that stuff to sniff and check out. Poking noses through the snow. The "bag of potatoes" is a good description. They always go into slow motion on the way back home.

But don't let that fool you! These guys can spring into action like you can not believe if they feel danger afoot. And there's a power unimaginable! That's what they do. And what they've done for thousands of years. (and why I love them so very much) :-* :-*

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 08:54:12 am »
We do aboug 2 miles first thing in the morning and another 2 - 3 miles after dinner.  Jack is usually the slow poke on our walks but we've found that if we walk very briskly and he has to trot, he keeps up better than if he is just at a walk.  They are quite capable of keeping up and going the distance but they'll definitely lag behind if you allow it.
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 10:33:20 pm »
I would be interested to know if those that walk more than once a day - are they in the house dogs? I have often searched for exercise answers myself. I walk Marley about 45 min in the evenings however he spends his entire day outside and we have an acre of land for him to roam and romp.... Do the dogs that get walked 2-3 times daily run around the yard as well? perhaps i should be adding in another walk?
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 11:33:46 pm »
I try to walk the dogs at least once a day, for a mile or so.  Max and Jake run and romp and chase each other around playing, jumping on and off the bed and over each other, for about 2 - 3 hours a day.  Cody only trots through the yard maybe once a day, other than our walks.  Jake will walk/trot as much as I will take him.  He is still young and burning off puppy energy.  I am afraid to do too much forced walking, jogging with Max and Jake, because they are still relatively young.  In time, I plan to take them for longer runs/jogs at the local ball field.  We only have concrete sidewalks and streets, every where else around us.  That is really the only grassy area other than the roadside, which scares me due to broken bottles, etc. In the house, when not playing, they are all movable rugs.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats