Author Topic: Neo Mastiff Foster Puppy  (Read 11392 times)

Offline NewNeoFoster

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Neo Mastiff Foster Puppy
« on: October 08, 2007, 03:23:41 pm »
Hello everyone!  On Sunday I picked up a 3-4 month old Neo Mastiff from the shelter and he's now here being fostered with me.  The shelter originally called me thinking he was a blue great dane, and he was in such poor shape that they only wanted a rescue to take him (I do dane and deaf dog rescue), but after seeing him I realized he's just a REALLY emaciated Neo pup. 

I've read just about everything I can about Neo's and have started heavy socialization with this boy.  He lives with 2 great danes, 4 cats and 4 dachshunds at my house and so far is great with everyone.  He does bark A LOT at the other dogs when they start to play, but it seems to be a playful bark and not aggressive.  I know Neo's can be a bit protective and not the best with other dogs, but hopefully having him here with all the other animals so young will help with that.

Right now I'm concentrating on socialization, some basic training, housebreaking and fattening him up, since he's super skinny.  Poor guy couldn't even stand when he got to the shelter as a stray he was so weak.

So, is there anything I should be working on besides the above with him?  I've dealt with dane puppies plenty of times, but never a Neo before.  Thanks!!

Katie

P.S.  Here are some crappy photos of him asleep on the floor (please ignore the dirty carpet!)   ;D

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Neo Mastiff Foster Puppy
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 04:15:07 pm »
Oh that poor puppy - thankfully, you are there for him.  Best of luck!

Randy & Harley

Offline Mallory's Mommy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 04:45:58 pm »
Poor guy- he's so small! I'm sure he'll be very happy with you all.
Mary, mommy to Mallory, the Saint Bernard pup

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 07:38:00 pm »
What a sweetie! I don't have any other advise than what has already been said...but I had to say what a cutie he is. :)
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

chaosndestruction

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 08:04:51 am »
awwww pooor guy!!! At least he has you to help get him back where he should be! He looks like a sweetie! I mean look at those big paws!!!

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 10:52:04 am »
Oh my goodness!  That poor baby!  I have nothing to add, just wanted to say how wonderfull you are for taking in this pup.  You are a truly good human that more people should aspire to be like.  :)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 07:49:09 pm »
I just wanted to say that Julie gave you some awesome advice, introduce him to children/seniors and every age in between have them do the same kinda things that you are doing.. touching, feeding, loud noises, dogs of all sizes and sexes. The more you socialize him the better adult he will become.

A big congrats to you for taking this poor boy in, welcome to BPO. Hope you post pics often so we can all share in his weight gain
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 01:21:25 am »
Do you still have that pup?  If so, it would be nice to see more pictures.  My guess on the breed would be a Cane Corso based on the lack of wrinkling on the pup's face.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 08:08:39 am »
What a terrific thing you are doing with this wonderful boy! He is VERY cute! Welcome to BPO!

Offline bestphillylineup

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 08:48:11 am »
I too just took in a Neo puppy and found her to be 30+lbs under weight.
I have a 12 yr old Cane Corso and these can be moody Italians. If he becomes bowl aggressive( as he may due to starvation) Sit down and hand feed him.
He will accept the rest of your pack but be ready for him to challenge for the alpha role.
Once you get through the first 16-18 months with hard and very steady work he will be the perfect gentelman.

Best of luck to you....and with his short docked tail he could be a Corso.

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 05:08:47 am »
Oh my goodness!!!  He is sooo cute!!   I second the question of do you still have him?  If so how is the socialization going?  It sounds like you are on the right track and you know what you're doing with pups in general.  Good luck and hope to hear from you!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix