Author Topic: Titan and his Poop...ohhh what a topic!  (Read 11406 times)

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Titan and his Poop...ohhh what a topic!
« on: October 30, 2007, 01:20:15 pm »
Hi All;
Hope to get some suggestions... .
Titan went to the vet today becuase his pooping has not been the firmest...very loose and then last night the Rockett Ship came to visit and all through the night....there he was on the lawn wondering what the heck was going on back there behind his tail! :( Poor Guy.
He has not eaten anything that he should not have...and his diet has always been the same. No introduction to new treats or food. Just his normal food that he has been on since puppy. That has been the way because we are having soooo many popping problems we do not want to introduce anything new.... in risk it might get worse.
Anyways; I took him to the vet today and they are convinced that it is his food. So we are currently trying Iams Vertrinary Diet Fish and Potato. He loves it...but I am concerned that switching foods might not be the answer to his poopy problem. We have only had one meal so far; so time will tell. Anyone else had a problem with a Lamb based food? What does everyone else feed thier beloved Mastiff's?
Any help will be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Nicole

Re: Titan and his Poop...ohhh what a topic!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 02:24:01 pm »
Well, you're going to find that many BPOers, and I guess I must disclose that I'm included, will tell you that anything made by Iams is really um, inferior food.

Here's the thing, though. It might actually firm up his poops. They put firming agents in there so that happens. That doesn't mean its a good food or that he's getting good nutrition.

Just my opinion, but I would not have him on Iams. There's just not a lot of high quality ingredients in there. I would try him on a high quality food and go from there. What was he on before the vet put him on the Iams?

FYI, many vets are not trained in nutrition. They're not your best source of info in this area.

Here are the ingredients, maybe Holly will come along and translate them for you:

Potato, Herring Meal (source of fish oil), Catfish, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E, and Citric Acid), Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Fish Digest, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Sodium Hexametaphosph ate, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, DL-Methionine, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Ethoxyquin (a preservative), Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Rosemary Extract, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Folic Acid, Cobalt Carbonate
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 02:30:22 pm by Nicole »

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 05:22:34 am »
Maybe short term you could get him some pure pumkin to firm up the poops?
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 06:40:47 am »
Duh. I was so interested in telling you not to use Iams that I forgot about the actual problem!!!!

SORRY!

I too have had great luck with the pumpkin and my puppers. I had a Saint foster for awhile with EXPLOSIVE diarrhea and the pumpkin did a pretty good job. (As good as could hvae been expected. That girl had BOOOOOOOTAAAAA AAAY blow-out!)

The boiled hamburger and rice is a great, bland option for getting their intenstines all setttled down. I would put Titan on the boiled hamburger and rice until he's feeling better, bring that food back to your vet, and in the meantime, research food. Like Tina said, there is a great thread here, actually, many of them, about this topic. Holly is an excellent resource. She really can't be bothered to read threads, but if you direct one right at her, like, "HEY HOLLY HELP ME WITH FOOD, K?" she'll jump right in.

*MODIFIED TO BE MORE DESCRIPTIVE OF HOLLY'S ABILITIES AS OPPOSED TO HER MOTIVATION*
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 07:59:20 am by Nicole »

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 07:06:02 am »
Thanks for the tips...
I am not to keen on giving him Iams either. But I am kinda at my last strands...I thought i was feeding him a high quality food...Holisti c Blend...swore by it...now after one day on Iams his poops are MUCH better. I am at a lost for food! I dont know where to start.. I have to start over! I dont like the idea of the vet having me at there financial expense...the food is outragiously priced!!  I dont mind paying for quality food but yesturday when i talked to them they said...there are priced based food and formula based food. Clearly I am searching for a formula based food and only the best for my baby. I bothers me that he was not doing well on the Holistic Blend...but I am all ears on what to switch too?!? Now i dont know if the fish and potato is what is agreeing with him or if its the fillers that are making his poop solid!?? So confussed! Anyone can recommend anything? The breeders swore by holistic Blen and they continue to feed it to there dogs...but my dog is different and I thought the vet would have some knowledge in that department..bu t maybe they are just trying to make a sale :( The pumkin does work...we did it for a week...but as soon as we stopped right back to the loose stool.

Nicole

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 07:44:30 am »
I've herad from many people that Wellness is too rich and that poops never firm up on it.

I second the Innova. Well, we feed Innova EVO and it seems to be really great as far as poops and all the other stuff. Cabeza also did well on Wysong, although I think that it lacked in some ways. But, overall, it was a decent food.

I think that Iams has fillers, and that's why his poops firmed up so quickly. I have a neighbor that just WILL NOT get it in his head that Iams has firmers in there. He insists on adding a little to his dogs Evo to keep the poop really firm. Drives me nuts, but he does it.

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 07:47:13 am »
I've herad from many people that Wellness is too rich and that poops never firm up on it.

I second the Innova. Well, we feed Innova EVO and it seems to be really great as far as poops and all the other stuff. Cabeza also did well on Wysong, although I think that it lacked in some ways. But, overall, it was a decent food.

I think that Iams has fillers, and that's why his poops firmed up so quickly. I have a neighbor that just WILL NOT get it in his head that Iams has firmers in there. He insists on adding a little to his dogs Evo to keep the poop really firm. Drives me nuts, but he does it.
Sooo....does it matter what is in the food as far as Beef/Lamb/Fish is concerned? they beleive that it is the Lamb that is giving him problems....an d Fish is the answer?

Nicole

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 07:53:58 am »
Hmmmm...well, here is what I understand about the protien source. I've never heard of gastrointestio nal upset from lamb. There are some other issues as far as the heart. Lamb can lead to taurine deficiencies. Jenn knows more about this than I do.

But as far as changing the protien source from lamb to fish, my vet explained to me that this is done to introduce a "novel" protien source. One that they've never been exposed to so that you can pinpoint the sensitivity and elminate the cause.

But, I also understand that with this kind of upset, the problems usually come from the grain and not the protien? That is my understanding anyway. I think that there are some good fish formulas out there. Iams is just generally considered to be full of fillers. And on a more ethical note, I think that Iams has some pretty nasty allegations of animal abuse against them. (from testing and what-not) Just what I've read before.

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 08:49:22 am »
What about Innova large breed puppy...any thoughts?

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 09:03:12 am »
Innova is one of the very few companies that has a puppy formula appropriate in protein and fat levels for giant breeds.  That said, the main reason to go with a puppy formula is the higher energy needs of most puppies.  As puppies go, mastiffs are on the looooooow end of the energy spectrum, so the puppy food isn't needed.  Therefore, I would just go with the adult formula.  It's tried and true in the poop department, and that's the main reason for switching foods.  I'm guessing the puppy formula would do fine, too, but I've never tried it so I can't attest to it.
Well I have made up my mind! He is off Iams and onto Innova (Green Bag) Also switching him right away seeing he has only been on the Iams for 1 day is the way to go?
Thanks again...If you where here i would hug you and Titan would kiss you!! More or less try to eat you...he does that sometimes...so metimes i dont think he is ever full!!

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 09:25:29 am »
Wow!! You are the food guru!! LOL :)
Also one more question i promise! The Large breed Adult food or the normal Adult food...dont know if i remember what one you are directing me to? Any advantages to the large breed adult?

Nicole

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 09:52:33 am »
I TOLD YOU I TOLD YOU!!!!

Holly RUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUULE S!!!!!

I think that you can go with the large-breed adult, but wait for confirmation from the Poop Princess. Err..um, Holly.

:)

I'm glad you're switching! I'm sure you will be so much happier and Titan will be much healthier!

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 09:55:32 am »
HOLLY DOES RULE!!
I love you guys and this web site! Titan loves you too!!

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 08:03:17 am »
We mostly feed All-Stages Canidae Lamb and Rice to all the dogs regardless of their breed on the suggestion of their Vet who thinks that large breeds should put on weight slowly.  Once in a while I mix in their chicken kind due to the issues with lamb described so well above.  Cody tends to get loose stools on the lamb, so that is how I know to put more chicken in his bowl.

I am still in shock that anyone would give up a dog that fast just over a poo issue.  Lucky you to get Elli.

The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua