Author Topic: Neuter/Gastropexy?  (Read 5069 times)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Neuter/Gastropexy?
« on: October 31, 2007, 05:56:06 pm »
So... i made the big appointment to get fumble neutered next friday. the vet called tonight and left me a message about perhaps doing a gastropexy at the same time?  Anyone have anymore information on this??  I don't want the big guy getting any Gastric problems, but i had never heard of this before??  Help!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Neuter/Gastropexy?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 12:14:55 pm »
Thanks... did Jack have one done??

I'm still debating on whether or not to do it... only because they don't do it laprscopically (sp?) at my vet.  i think i would have to go off cape to the vet practice that did fumble's knee surgery, but i'd presume it would be more expensive.  I just feel so bad having him go in for a 10 day recovery period and having his poor tummy be cut open.  oh i'm so on the fence!  Have any other Newfies had it done??? 
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 12:33:20 pm »
I talked to Adak's breeder before hand and we decided that with the proper wait before and after exercise that it was not necessary for him. We did have food bloat once but I have been watching him like a hawk since then, I do 1 hr before and after of literally nothing, if he begins to get too hyper we go in the crate

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 06:54:00 am »
Bryce is going tomorrow and he has been extra loving to me i think he knows something is up i feel very guilty but know it is for his own good! The part that bothers me is he will have to wear the butter cup he scares himself much less crashing into everything with that butter cup on! I don't know how much i will be able to take of that! Poor Bryce :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats