Author Topic: My first night with a Great Dane in the house...  (Read 4417 times)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
My first night with a Great Dane in the house...
« on: November 18, 2007, 07:03:17 am »
And I got:

no sleep, a broken picture frame and a broken knee.  Well, not a BROKEN knee, but it sure feels like it!!!

Thunder is here...there's no mistaking that.  His big butt broke the picture frame and almost took out my knee just from bumping into me.  He also barks at the slightest sound and his woof shakes the house.  I couldn't figure out what was making him bark and growl so much until about 2 am I realized Magic was outside barking at snowflakes, hence making Thunder bark.  So I figured if I turn the tv on, he won't hear Magic and hopefully we could get some sleep.  It worked!  Until we had a power outage at 4 am.  The tv went off and Thunder started getting woofy again.  (I work at the electric company and the girls joked I should call myself and yell at myself for having no power.  LOL)  The only thing that would quiet him down was me sleeping on the couch so he could be next to me.  Not comfortable for me so I've been up since 4 am.  At one point I was begging Thunder to please, please, for the love of all that is holy, please stop barking!!!  It didn't work.

But, I also got...to see a side of this dog I've never seen before.  He is the biggest mush ever.  And Tina warned me of the Dane leans.  He's big on those.  If he's standing next to you, better brace yourself cuz he's going to lean! 

What an awesome dog.  I can't believe he's leaving Wednesday already.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 07:03:41 am by Newly Newfed »
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: My first night with a Great Dane in the house...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 08:45:04 am »
I am enjoying it.  At least the parts when I'm not begging for sleep.  LOL!

He isn't in the room, the bedroom is off limits.  The poor cats have never seen a creature as big as him and they don't quite know what to do about it other than run for their lives to hide under the bed.  Or the covers.  His Royal Fatness (aka Oscar) is the only cat I know who hides under the covers when he's scared.

I just hope the elctric holds out tonight and the TV stays on  ;D

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 01:22:24 pm »
Sounds like you had quite the night.
Lucky for me, I had Gunther as a pup so he learned to keep quiet unless it was needed (although he has a few relapses now and again).

Enjoy him while you have him, I can't imagine life without one now.

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 01:35:36 am »
The tv worked, the electric stayed on and I actually slept through the night!  YAY!

Actually, I slept better than I normally do when Jeff is gone.  I felt much safer with Thunder in the house.  We live in a secluded area surrounded by woods.  Anyone wanting to get in the house would be a moron to try after hearing that woof, especially when it's coupled with Sierra's barking.  If it was me, I'd pick a different house!  LOL!

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret