Author Topic: our first BC  (Read 16103 times)

Offline Ken

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: our first BC
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2007, 12:27:36 am »
Can anyone recommend a good book on BCs? I live in Japan so I will need to get one over the Internet. My bilingual daughter purchased one in Japanese and it had some useful information. I am more interested on training. No bad dogs just bad owners.

Ken

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2007, 06:00:28 pm »
I had a BC mix. I loved him to bits he was such a wonderful loving boy.

When I took him for walks I put a doggy backpack on him. It gave him a job to do as well it made him work harder on his walks so it made him work off that energy he had.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2007, 07:55:44 am »
I had a BC mix. I loved him to bits he was such a wonderful loving boy.

When I took him for walks I put a doggy backpack on him. It gave him a job to do as well it made him work harder on his walks so it made him work off that energy he had.

Nina

My neighbor does this with her dog and she says it really helps with burning off some of that excess energy.

Also, in terms of training, you could check out Patricia McConnell's website, it's www.dogsbestfr iendtraining.c om. She has 3 BCs herself as well!
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2007, 09:39:19 am »
What a precious!! Very beuatiful girl you have there! Welcome to the site...let me tell you...everyone is ALWAYS ready to help!

Offline Ken

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2007, 09:14:55 pm »
My regards to all of you that have welcomed me! I have not replied because of my obligation/love/time spent with Katie. When I say love I remember it is a special love. One where I we need to take charge and train her or she will train us.
   I have noticed, I think, that Katie is a little less “active” <grin> with my wife and daughter then with me. My wife says it is because I interact with her more then the rest of the family. I think that it may be something to do with the “energy” I put off. Now I make sure I don't go out of my way to excite her. (When I was a kid our family had a Boxer and we would wrestle and so on. I don’t do anything like that with Katie. In fact I try to calm her down)
   Anyway, what experiences have people had with female or male BCs and male or female owners?

Ken
[/img]

Offline Ken

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 01:17:08 am »
A new Picture.

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2007, 06:37:25 am »
   Anyway, what experiences have people had with female or male BCs and male or female owners?

Ken
[/img]

Hi Ken,

My mother's female BC LOVES and ADORES men!! If a man is around, she is totally focused on them. Of course, she loves my mom, however, she truly adores men!!

Jennifer
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline Ken

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2007, 09:14:22 pm »
Two good books are:

"The Complete Border Collie" Barbara Swann

and

"Understanding Border Collies" Barbara Sykes

Ken