Author Topic: How much does your Pyr weigh?  (Read 9075 times)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: How much does your Pyr weigh?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2007, 12:55:16 pm »
[quote author=Pyr Heaven
P.S. The vet said if I got him neutered before he weighed 59 pounds it would be 270 (without the pre op bloodwork). I don't wanna know how much its going to be now!!!
[/quote]

$270 sounds too much to me. Some of the vets in our area (MD) do it for $150 or less
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 10:06:19 pm »
Marley is 102 lbs which is slightly underweight for his size. Marley is really tall - about 33" at the shoulder and he isn't 2 yet. He has begun to fill out over the last couple of months and his eating has increased - about 6.5 cups a day..... Partly due to our cold weather and it is growing spurt age.
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 10:15:08 pm »
Tug is probably about 95 pounds now- he is lanky and tall and gangly but the little guy only turned 1 on Dec 7. Pyrs usually take longer to mature. The old man that I pulled from the kill shelter is about 120 and Zoey my female is only 84 pounds.

Also on the neuter. 270.00 to me is a lot of money. My vet charges more for females to be spayed and I am looking at 107.00 on the female to the puppies. I have a couple of different vets that I work with on the spay and neuter due to thier different beliefs on the proper age to do the surgery. The male puppies are 40.00 and the female puppies are 60.00, but I have never been charged more than 110.00 for either even when they were 6 months or older.

Good Luck on getting him neutered.

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 10:25:05 pm »
[quote author=Pyr Heaven
P.S. The vet said if I got him neutered before he weighed 59 pounds it would be 270 (without the pre op bloodwork). I don't wanna know how much its going to be now!!!

$270 sounds too much to me. Some of the vets in our area (MD) do it for $150 or less
[/quote]

It cost us $240.00 to get Marley neutered. Don't remember his exact weight at the time though?
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 10:42:54 pm »
The surgery itself is about $150 but then you have to add the anesthesia, the monitoring, the recovery and any meds given- then it comes to $250-300.  Overnight stay is more and home with pain meds more too.  I had a friend that was quoted nearly $500 for a male 40 pound dog for all inclusive services!  And that was in Maryland  Now you can go to the Humane society and they do spays for $75- all inclusive

Offline Little Bit

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 09:00:01 pm »
I have no idea how much LB weighs. I have to find someone with a scale as the vet is 45 mins away! She is 2 mos now and I would really like to keep a journal of her height and weight.

$270 for a spay  :o What is the earliest that you can get them spayed? In CA we would spay pups at 10 weeks when they were adopted out of the selter. I normally wait until 6 mos, but if LB is gonna be a heavy weight it's gonna cost an arm and a leg!
Little Bit-GP pup
Little Girl- Lab Mix
Mitzee- Heeler/ Boarder Collie
and way too many cats!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 09:06:35 pm »

$270 for a spay  :o What is the earliest that you can get them spayed? In CA we would spay pups at 10 weeks when they were adopted out of the selter. I normally wait until 6 mos, but if LB is gonna be a heavy weight it's gonna cost an arm and a leg!
and a neck, LOL!  ;D
You can spay as early as 8 weeks but the studies have shown that it is better to wait a little. Dogs need hormones for their joint growth. But it is all up to you  ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2008, 09:11:32 pm »
Miles' neuter actually ended up being 30 bucks shy of 400 dollars with the pre op bloodwork at 70 pounds. I think THAT is a bit much. But they took good care of him. It's done and over with and he's home now, so I don't even care at this point!
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline BigSoftandFluffyLover

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2008, 01:45:40 am »
Rasputin is 2 /1/2 and weighs 105, but his mother was only 70!!!! Poor thing, had 11 puppies and they all lived!!!!    :o