Author Topic: my 9 month old lab has a borderline ear hematoma....  (Read 2296 times)

Offline Stunner

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
my 9 month old lab has a borderline ear hematoma....
« on: November 01, 2007, 12:24:59 pm »
Our vet said because we caught it early we can avoid surgery but he needs to stop shaking his ears. I have wrapped a scarf around his ears to stop him from shaking them, but when we let him out of his kennel he is able to get the scarf off. Does anyone know of any other ideas, or something we can buy so he won't be able to pull the material holding his ears down off? I was thinking like a helmet or something....
Any input would be appreciated.(we're sooooo worried) :-[

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: my 9 month old lab has a borderline ear hematoma....
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 12:38:59 pm »
Another view on the cause of hematomas is a chronic ear infection which causes the shaking.  I'd go for the surgery since letting them heal on their own generally results in deformed ears. 

Our Chow had hematomas in both ears and got them mattress-stitched and the problem was over.  I think the hematomas were from our Vizsla chewing on the Chow's head.

We see a littermate of hers once in a while who has been treated several times for hematomas without surgery and his little ears look like cauliflowers.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua