Author Topic: Haven't been on in forever, lots of questions!!  (Read 2071 times)

Offline Boobearsmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Haven't been on in forever, lots of questions!!
« on: November 08, 2007, 09:46:28 am »
Well hello all.  Boo and I have been very busy and haven't been on here in forever!  Boo is doing well but we're adding a new member to our furry family tomorrow and I have lots of questions  ;D.  First off, I'm pretty sure I need to introduce them out of her territory to begin with, but what else can I do to make the transition easier for both?  Eli is a rescue and he's a Pharaoh hound mix.  He's young too, only about a year or so.  He's neutered too.  Also, what is everyone's view on finally letting Boo have run of the house during the day and leaving Eli in the crate?  Does anyone have one dog in, one dog out?

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Haven't been on in forever, lots of questions!!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 12:03:17 pm »
Hello there.  I can PROMISE you that if you take the pup's for a very long walk together before you allow them to "play" that will give them the chance to get to know one another while also establishing you as the pack leader.  I'm a huge believer in Cesar Milan and that was his advice for introducing a new member to your pack.  We did that very same thing with Tonka when we brought him into our family.  He was 2 1/2 years old and we introduced him to Gracie (1 year) and Rosco (6 mo) without a hitch due to the walk.  If done properly (meaning you do not allow them to walk ahead of you or pull you or attempt to engage in play or aggression with one another)for at least a good 45 minutes to an hour while walking that will make a huge difference. He also recommends that you try to avoid too much affection in the beginning.  This too will teach the new dog his rules and it will also show the other pet that you are in control therefore your existing pet will not feel the need to take control and teach him on his own.  One more thing.  Avoid too much excitement.  Try not to use high pitched overly affectionate voices or yelling for that matter.  That helps too.   

We also have our puppy in the crate still while Gracie and Tonka have run of the house during the day.  When we let Gracie finally have run of the house we did it by letting her out maybe an hour at a time (when we ran an errand or two) here and there.  That way we were able to gauge how she would do.  Also if they are getting plenty of exercise then you shouldn't really have to worry too much about them destroying the house or unwanted elimination.  Though that too I also believe is a case by case issue.  I know of a BPO'er here who can attest to that one. ;) 

I certainly wish you luck and congratulation s on your new addition.  I can't wait to see pictures.
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Haven't been on in forever, lots of questions!!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 07:22:45 pm »
When my dogs and my hubby's dogs are all at the same house, we have three houses on the same block, (his, mine, and ours) there are six dogs here.  We have crates for them all and dog gates seperating every room. 

They all do well with that except for when it is Zita's turn in the crate since she plays too roughly with the two blind dogs and the crippled one.  Zita is learning to yodel to voice her protest since they aren't allowed to bark while crated.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua