Author Topic: Tooth Brushing Assistance Please  (Read 7460 times)

dohertyswissy

Tooth Brushing Assistance Please
« on: November 11, 2007, 07:11:31 am »
Ranger's grooming and upkeep used to be a job that I would do with the ex.  So, I'm looking for some assistance on how to make it a one-woman job. 

I'm really, REALLY irritated right now, because I took him to PetSmart for a bath and toothbrushing.  He wasn't done until closing time, so I didn't really give him a good once over.  I just got back from the vet with Tigger (long story) and finally got a chance to check out the job.  I am QUITE positive that they DID NOT brush his teeth.  GRRRRRRRRRRR!

So, I break out the toothbrush and scrub away the best I can with a squirming 130 lb dog who is none too happy.  Then, I notice he has a calcium deposit on the back of his tooth.  MORE EVIDENCE THEY DID NOT BRUSH HIS TEETH.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRR RR!

I did the best I could do without some assistance and got most of the gunk off, followed by some supposedly dental treats.

What do you guys do for your furkids pearly whites?  Suggestions??

I don't want my boy to have gross teeth!!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Tooth Brushing Assistance Please
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 07:16:39 am »
Lily hates teeth brushing and so I don't BUT I do use teeth wipes ones a week or so and I use professional teeth scraper ($5 on-line) and remove deposits every three months or so. Usually after a long play at the dog park so she is pretty much dead and lets me do anything  ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

dohertyswissy

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 07:19:01 am »
Teeth wipes???  What are those and where do I get 'em??

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 07:27:05 am »
Teeth wipes???  What are those and where do I get 'em??

Here are the ones I use but there are other brands as well

http://www.allivet.com/D-D-S-Dental-Wipes-p/16002.htm
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 10:03:16 am »
grace has a toothbrush that i stick on my finger and it stays there with a lot of suction.  i stick my finger in her mouth and wiggle it around a lot till she won't stand it any more.  i do what i can which is more than some people.  good dental care is a safegaurd against heart disease!  and when our babies are older they won't need that $500 dental care from the vet. 
you do the best you can with what you got.  sounds like you got the one woman job accomplished.  it's amazing what we can do on our one, YES?  sometimes i have to put Grace into a full nelson with my knees.  :) 

Offline jezebelle

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 03:09:10 pm »
Very helpful tips... I have wondered about what to do for Addie's teeth, think I will have to check out those teeth wipes.  Good info!

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • "Life is short, Buy the shoes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 11:24:25 am »
Man, I hate doing that. But it is much easier since I got the yummy vanilla flavored toothpaste. I sit down with legs spread and have the pup lay in between on his side then I hike a leg over top of them. I let them lick the toothpaste before I do anything. The first few times I let them lick the toothbrush, then I brush one tooth, etc.... After a couple of weeks I am able to brush their teeth without them moving at all. I think if you go for the gusto the first time, they hate it ans it becomes a negative experience. Try the baby step at a time method. Pain in the booty, but well worth it!
"A righteous man regardeth the life of his animals" Proverbs 12:10
Meli - Golden retriever
Timber - newfie/border collie X
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8
2 cats - Maui and Maea (who own us all)

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 11:58:23 am »
I have the finger tip brush and a regular one as well.  The Hound is a wiggly monster to brush but "The Butler "could care less.  I think he is just happy I am engaged one on one with him. 
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet