Alaskan Malamutes > Alaskan Malamute Discussions

9 month old Malamute is scared of everything...What is causing this. Please help

(1/3) > >>

Prince of Mal:
Hi there, I am getting pretty desperate at the moment. I bought a 9 month old Malamute called Prince. He is a lovely dog, but although I am novice with dogs, i am finding alot of his behaviour worying.

First of all he gets scared at pretty much anything, he cowers and hides from moving pushchairs, any kind of banging noise and he hides under the bed, He is very affectionate around my partner yet, ignores me most of the time. He gets bored easily while playing and although we bought him some new toys, he will not touch any of them.

As a newbie owning a dog, i admit I was probably stupid in allowing my love for a Huskie in sledding films caused my rash move into buying him without researching, hence my doing it now. I have no idea what I should be feeding him and how much, or even how many times a day, the same with walks.....

Please help :(

aggghgmom:
Welcome to BPO your Malamute is simply gorgeous.

Unfortunately I am not the most versed person here on raising and dealing with dog problems, the only Malamute I know is the one down the street that wants to kill my Harley dog.

As far as food are you feeding a good quality food?  Probably twice a day, with the recommended portion on the label, another thing to keep in mind is exercise if your dog is active it may need a bit more food.

Do you have any history on the first 9 months of your dogs life?  Was it socialized often with people and other animals?  Did it have any training? abuse?

Give us some more info and hopefully we can give you some more information.

Randy & Harley

Prince of Mal:
Thank you for replying so quickly. The people who had him seemed very nice and they told us certain things that he likes and dislikes. Unfortunatly none of it seems to ring true to his behaviour. We are giving him a 600g tin of Tesco Premier chunks in gravy and a large cup of Premier dog meal, as instructed by the previous owner, twice a day. Is that enough??

As for abuse, my partner seems to think he was hence the scared behaviour around me and all male friends and relatives. I am worried that he is not getting what he needs and although he will wolf down his food in 5 seconds, to underfeed him scares me...

pyr4me:
I would second the suggestion to take a positive reinforcement obedience class with your dog. It helped me with my dogs immensely.

Also, if he has been abused by males in the past, you will need to work with him to help him learn that you are a good guy--you could carry treats in your pockets and anytime you are interacting with him, petting him, playing together, walking, etc., give him a treat. That way, he can learn that yummy and good things happen when he is with you, not scary things.

LuvmyMal:
welcome, he is handsome! I have a 9 month old male malamute as well. They will go through a scared phase, as hard as it seems, do not cater to them during this time, they will work it out. As far as food, I personally feed Eagle Pack Holistic Lg. Breed Adult to Adak with wonderful results also I feed some raw, but do not feed raw and kibble in the same meal. He gets 1 1/2- 2 cups/twice per day, don't worry about underfeeding him, I would worry more about overfeeding as he is still growing. Definitely start him in training and socilization. Please PM me if you have any questions.

Again Welcome to BPO!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version