Author Topic: A lil help please!:)  (Read 4681 times)

Offline redbean

• Gnawer
  • The Baby Bear
    • View Profile
A lil help please!:)
« on: November 12, 2007, 04:14:50 am »
Heya, Im wondering if anyone can help me. I have a 6mth old PMD. His name is Bear:) I had a Pmd, Max, but sadly he died on christmas day last year. Bear is causing me to worry! He seems somuch smaller and slighter then Max did at his age. Max was a large boy, he was gorgeous and had an amazing coat. He was even Irelands top PMD in his hayday!! But Bear is not from a show bloodline as Max was, Bears parents both are working farm dogs. I feed him Beta Giant puppy food, and he gets stress powder, eggs and cod liver oil in his diet. any suggestions on his diet?
Also Bear has doubledew claws on his front and hind legs, any idea how this would be seen in the show ring?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
Bear - 6mths, Pyrenean Mountain Dog
Zuez - 8mths, Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Bruizer - 11mths, English Bull Terrier

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: A lil help please!:)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 04:24:10 am »
Are you planning on showing him?
How much does he weigh and how tall is he? Show dogs tend to be smaller than working ones.
Double dew claws on the front legs would be a fault in the show ring...I am pretty sure
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline redbean

• Gnawer
  • The Baby Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 04:34:41 am »
I hope too, I was talking to my vet and she knows nothing about PMD's so im unsure if its ok to have them removed. I havnt had him weighed in a while but i can say he is heavy. Im bad at this!! im 5'6 and wen he jumps up he is nearly on my shoulders. I should really know his weight and height... Do u think his diet is ok the way it is?

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 04:40:36 am »
I can't answer your questions  :P Only you can tell if his diet is good for your pup. Does he seem healthy? Does his coat look good?
I have never heard of Beta foods...What are the main ingredients?
Do you feel he is good enough quality to be shown? Does he have any CH on his pedigree?
Mary W. Crane

Offline redbean

• Gnawer
  • The Baby Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 04:47:03 am »
Its hard to tell at the moment he is very much looking like a working dog. He is like the energiser bunny. Temperment is great, his character is fab, his coat is inbetween change, its hard to know how much to feed him because he seems to be always starving. He would eat a horse if it stood still long enough. but he does seem on top form. Beta as far as i know are an English company, they do horse feed and horse ware too. Its expensive but it was recommended by a friend. i duno. But if you know anyone who could help my with the rules of the ring regarding pmds it wud be great!!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 04:57:34 am »
You can contact your county specialty club or get on their website and read the standard for Great Pyrenees.
You pup is super cute  :-*
Mary W. Crane

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 05:06:46 am »
I couldn't locate PMD club of Ireland but I found this breed standard for UK.

http://www.pmdc.org.uk/standard.htm

It's somewhat different from our...they define the minimum height and weight. It seems that Lily is too little for UK shows  ;D
Mary W. Crane

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 01:54:27 am »
Heya, Im wondering if anyone can help me. I have a 6mth old PMD. His name is Bear:) I had a Pmd, Max, but sadly he died on christmas day last year. Bear is causing me to worry! He seems somuch smaller and slighter then Max did at his age. Max was a large boy, he was gorgeous and had an amazing coat. He was even Irelands top PMD in his hayday!! But Bear is not from a show bloodline as Max was, Bears parents both are working farm dogs. I feed him Beta Giant puppy food, and he gets stress powder, eggs and cod liver oil in his diet. any suggestions on his diet?
Also Bear has doubledew claws on his front and hind legs, any idea how this would be seen in the show ring?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Is he shaved in the more recent picture or is that how his fur is?  His tail especially doesn't look like a typical Pyr tail, by that age it should start to be very bushy.

As for the Beta food, I see it is made by Purina.  If Purina foods in the UK are anything like the Purina lines in the US then it's not very good food.  Here they contain a lot of fillers and more corn/grains then meat.  Without seeing the ingredient list (which the Purina Beta website does not provide!) I can't really say for sure.

Here are a couple pictures of Jack at about 6 months.  His parents are also working farm dogs.

Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

Offline redbean

• Gnawer
  • The Baby Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 05:25:50 am »
Thanks so much for the help, litle worried now but hey if he doesnt make a show dog it doesnt matter he's ma'baby!! I think the problem is,is that he has no undercoat, well very little, and his tail fur is only half of what my previous PMD was at his age. Ah sure what can ya do, he's a class guard dog and a big clown so we dont mind.
Just lettin people know, PMD are the bravest dogs about. Both my other dogs, a english bullterrier and a staffie bull terrier wud jump if they seen there shadow, PMDs are in my mind simply the best about!! Thanks again lads and ladys your all wee stars!!:D

Offline wbf

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 02:54:12 pm »
I was told by several breeders (and a few breed clubs) that double front dew claws are a fault but not a disqualificati on in the show ring.  Most breeders remove them,  if present, when the puppy is 2 - 3 days old so most wouldn't even know if they were ever present in the first place.  There is a dog that was shown successfully and Championed (can't remember his name now) that had a double front dew claw.