Author Topic: rescue/repo dog, pls help me to help Jake  (Read 3731 times)

Offline Stonefinder

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
rescue/repo dog, pls help me to help Jake
« on: November 14, 2007, 12:29:37 pm »
We got our two English Mastiff puppies
from the same breeder and when a sibling of theirs
had to be repo'ed /rescued she called me.
He was actually the male I wanted but couldn't have
cause he was already spoken for.
He was 1/2 the size of his siblings when I got him.
He is now growing again.
He had been kept in a grossly undersized crate for hours a day, poor guy was scared of everything, wouldn't walk on a leash (he was 6 months old when he came to us.)
He barely looks like a Mastiff and you can tell my his
eyes and face he has been threw heck.

Is it most likely his growth is stunned cause of his ill care? Are there supplements I can give him to help him.
What about things to help him emotionally?
He is like the difference between night and day compared to his 2 siblings. But he's also come a long way in just 3 short weeks.

Stonefinder

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: rescue/repo dog, pls help me to help Jake
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 12:45:47 pm »
Hi, I'm sure that someone will have some specific advice regarding supplements, etc. but I just wanted to give you a little encouragement.  Sammy our Pyr came to us in March when he was around 5 or so.  He was starved nearly to death, had been beaten, and his neck has scars from his collar being allowed to grow into his skin b/c it wasn't loosened as he grew up.  He was very subdued and somber when he arrived and he was scared to come into the house.  Now he lives in the house (and of course plays outside), he smiles most of the time, he plays with toys and is always very affectionate and even silly sometimes now.  It does our hearts such good to see him act happy and playful now and he was an adult when he was rescued.  I would think that there is definitely hope that your puppy will continue to improve and be a wonderful, happy boy someday.  It just takes a lot of love & caring.  Hang in there!
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 01:00:39 pm »
Please go to the following website and/or email Linda Arndt, "The Great Dane Lady" for assitance.  She is a canine nutritionist, specializing in large breed issues and she will be able to point you in the right direction regarding food and supplements to get him back on track.  Her site has lots of great information but I'd also suggest emailing her with the specifics about your dog so she can give you custom advice.

www.greatdanel ady.com
grdanelady@aol.com

She gets lots of emails so be sure to put something in the subject line like "malnourished rescue needs urgent help" so that she prioritizes your email.
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 02:35:04 am »
There is a yahoo group called shyK9s that I recently joined for help with my shy boy.  They have some wonderful advice and they might be able to help you with any specific questions about dealing with a fearful/shy dog. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 07:07:43 am »
Yikes. Thank God he found you. I have no advice, but know the good people on this board will be a huge help to you.  Sending well wishes your way.  :-*
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 12:33:44 pm »
thank god he found you! bless you for taking him too! af for his growth, i wouldnt worry too much right now. hes only 6 months, hes still got growing to do. you probably dont want to speed up his growth more than what hes naturally going to do himself or else you could end up with a slew of problems. i would see a vet whos knowlegable of the breed and can help you out. good luck! and we need pics of all these babies!!
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 04:02:28 pm »
God Bless You,
I know it is hard to believe now, but in a short while, you will not even recognize the dog you wil have as the same one you have now.  Our Tibetan Mastiff was 2 last February when we got him from rescue.  He was living in doggy h*ll before he was rescued, fostered and we adopted him.  His collar had grown into his neck, he weighed around 80 lbs, he was very leery of everyone, scared to walk through doors or any tight area.  I literally had to corner him and grab his collar to force him to let me pet him.  He would not even take raw meat or bones out of your hand, you had to lay them down and let him pick them up.  Now, he squeezes between me and the kitchen counter if he smells something I am cooking that he thinks he wants.  He meets me at the door and follows me around if I don't rub the sides of his face and rub noses with him when I come home.  He barks and growls at anyone who comes into my house.  I don't know what he would do if I didn't intercede and tell him OK.  Basically, you have to decide that he is going to be a normal dog and get treated just like his siblings.  Force him to accept you and whatever you choose to do with him.  I forced Cody to go with me to Petsmart, doggy park, pet fairs, craft fairs, anywhere I could take him to get used to strange people, sights, sounds, etc.  Socializing him is going to be your best bet to get him to come around and be comfortable with you and his new life.  Just feeding him good food, preferably in at least 2 separate meals, treats and snacks, vitamins if you feel he needs them, supplements like fish oil and Vitamin C are good for him also.  Cody has gained over 40 lbs in the last 10 months and grown a new extremely thick shiny coat that feels just like velvet.  He takes treats out of my hand, sits, stays, and comes when called.  The first time he curled his tail up over his back walking through the house I cried.  Your dog is soo young, he will come around quickly and hopefully think his past life was just a nightmare and never happened.  Seriously, he is young enough that it should not affect him at all.  Good luck with your new boy and I am sure he will come around quickly.  It is amazing what children and puppies can go through with seemingly no after effects.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats